HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:03 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Y'know, I've thought it'd be neat to use those side holes for the rudder & elevator servos to mount scoops over. Problem is, they're behind the ESC mount. I'm trying to think up a way to route air forward from there, maybe with pieces of a milkshake straw or something, where they'd blow directly on the ESC.
Hahahahaha! Oh wait, your serious. (Sorry, I just had to say it.)

Holes in front and back to force air in and out or mount your ESC on the outside.

You are as bad at overbuilding (and underflying) as I am at overexplaining.

Cliff
theothercliff is online now Find More Posts by theothercliff
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:09 PM
Joined Jul 2008
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
To run a non-stock prop like the 6x4 (helps performance) you need a new prop adapter because the old one:
- requires you to drill out the prop
- doesn't have many threads left to hold on with a normal prop

Cliff
Yeah I want use this prop TGS 6x4E with default motor. So which size prop adapter will feet?
Are for setup TGS 6x4E prop. need any exta work or its easy?
If I want upgrade motor, which one will feet and ppl mostly use?
Which ESC better for default and probably new more powerfull if I will upgrade:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13429
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2164

Thanks all
P.S.
I'll buy Bixler.
messir is offline Find More Posts by messir
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:22 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by messir View Post
Yeah I want use this prop TGS 6x4E with default motor. So which size prop adapter will feet?

Thanks all
P.S.
I'll buy Bixler.
2.3mm collet style prop adapter from eBay because HobbyKing is probably out of stock. There are several posts about this in this thread.

The stock prop adapter is difficult to get off without bending the motor shaft. Use a needle nose pliers on the 2.3mm part of the shaft and seated against the 3mm part of the shaft. Use two flat screwdrivers to pry between the needle nose pliers and the prop adapter at the same time to keep from bending the shaft.

Run the motor as slowly as possible without the adapter afterward and carefully straighten the shaft if you can see that it is bent at all. You will see the bent shaft and which way to bend it just as the motor stops.

The stock motor flies the plane very well with a 6x4 prop. It will go almost straight up. I would say you don't need to buy a new motor till you have tried the stock motor.

Cliff
theothercliff is online now Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:47 PM
Joined Jul 2008
93 Posts
Thanks CLIFF.
Are any advice about ESC:
messir is offline Find More Posts by messir
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
187 Posts
Quote:
I have the second one and it is perfectly fine for a stock plane. When I added some weight it started to get very hot so I'm going to fit it on the side of the plane.
yannc is offline Find More Posts by yannc
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:17 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
I just laughed my ( ).( ) off when the video cut to the tree scene. Marvelous.

Exactly my reaction! Thanks Rattles! A very relaxing video... since I didn't have to climb the tree..

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:54 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Most notable was the bulkhead concealing the ballast. Made removing the ballast a pain -- requiring splitting the fuse.
The ESC burnt up very quickly -- but that might be an isolated situation.

No other changes were noticed.

EDIT Ya know.. strike that. I thing the Surfer I got from readymade is actually a V1 so the other might be a v2.
I think I ASSumed.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:39 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
I'll get it started:
Bixler (Ver 1); ZFW 512g for +57g over RFW.
Mods: Removed 55g nose weights, Added 5.5g wing reinforcing spar

How's yours stack up?
Mine is a porker compared to that. It is a Sky Surfer kit and weighs 623 grams without the battery. I think their RFW is a total fantasy.

47 grams of washers removed (50 grams with the glue).

6 grams of finishing nails in the right wing to balance it.
8 grams - .188 ID CF tube to strengthen the spar.
? grams - 3mm x 344mm CF tube to stiffen the horizontal stab.
? grams - 2 inch wide Scotch 'Tough' clear duct tape (bidirectional fibers) the full length of the bottom of the fuse and back to the canopy on the top.
30 grams ??? - A six inch by about 1.5 inch plywood floor from near the nose to the hole in the bottom under the canopy. It's doubled for two inches near the middle to bring it near the curved floor of the SS. The plywood would be about 17 grams plus Lots of glue to hold it to the floor of the SS. This was done to have a flat surface to velcro the batteries to.

Note the XYH B2835 KV2200 inrunner from Value Hobby that I put in it is advertised at 95 grams for the motor alone and I added about 11 grams of heavy silicone wire to extend the motor wires. Don't know what the Bixler's motor weighs.

Flys great at about 812 grams flying weight with a 2200mah battery. No problem with vertical using the 6x4 prop. It's first flight was about half an hour with only about 2:38 of actual motor use. It thermals quite well! And I fell back to the Command hooks and rubber bands in the end. The Velcro I tried was useless.

Regards,
Gord
Last edited by Gordks; Aug 19, 2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Figured out the inner spar weight.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:48 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
I watched the video.

1 - Having a nose heavy CG is important for a beginner. For a 1300mah battery pack, put all the washers back in and add a tiny bit of up trim.
2 - Take off at 50% power.
3 - Fly at 33%-50% power but remember that you can't climb steeply so you must keep the nose from pointing up. Stay away from full power.
4 - Don't over control (easier said than done!). Force yourself to use the minimum amount of stick to get something done.
5 - Immediately after take off and adjusting the throttle for flight power, trim ailerons and elevator for level flight. If you cahnge the power, you may have to re-trim.

Cliff
6 - Decrease throw of control surfaces by attaching pushrods in outermost control horn holes.
7 - If already there, move one hole inwards on servo arms.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:00 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:

When I had my Bix ready to fly, as a lark I put 'er on the scale without the battery & was pretty shocked to find I was already well over the 650g Recommended Flying Weight .........................

I'll get it started:
Bixler (Ver 1); ZFW 512g for +57g over RFW.
Mods: Removed 55g nose weights, Added 5.5g wing reinforcing spar

I just realized I don't quite understand something about your post Skyhopper. At the top you say it weighs more than 650 grams without the battery but at the bottom it says 512. What am I missing?

Regards,
Gord
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:03 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Hahahahaha! Oh wait, your serious. (Sorry, I just had to say it.)

Holes in front and back to force air in and out or mount your ESC on the outside.

You are as bad at overbuilding (and underflying) as I am at overexplaining.

Cliff
(Hmmmm....bendy straws. Yeah....that's da ticket! Where's my glue bottle!)

*LOL* Yeaaahh...I'm a dreamer. And Tinkerer. I find solutions where none is needed. Can't help it - it's in m' blood. I can't hardly look at anything without thinking "There's gotta be a better way."

And things hangin' outside.....awww...that's just ugliness, & I'm one who appreciates a clean line. 'Sides, I'm uglier'n a sail possum, & I don't want nothin' hornin' in on my share! That way, everything around me just looks that much prettier.

Anyways...gotta run. I think I know how I can get them farads back in that tiny li'l tomato can.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Aug 19, 2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:33 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:

Thanks all
P.S.
I'll buy Bixler.
Use the 30A Turnigy Plush 30A ESC.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:35 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannc View Post
I have installed a FY21 (stabilization and RTL but no OSD) on the SS and I love it! I'm not flying FPV but I wanted a "safety net" because I always try to go higher and further. I tested it yesterday and this thing is just unreal. This will be fantastic for AP, I will hopefully post some nice videos soon.

One question I have is related to the ESC. Even though the FY21 is not that big, it did add some weight (under the wing, right on the CG).

After 20 min flying, the ESC got very hot as the sticky part of the velcro melted.

This is the ESC I'm using:

What is the recommendation? Wire the ESC outside the plane for better cooling?

Another question I have is related to the CG. Beside the battery, I can't put anything in the front canopy because it makes the plane nose heavy. I have to stuff the Rx and ESC on the left of the servos to make my plane level on 60mm CG. My plane is a V2. Am I the only one with this problem? At the moment, it is fine but for instance I couldn't put a Go Pro HD on the canopy, it will have to be on the wing (causing a lot of drag) if I want to keep my plane level...
What size prop are you using?
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:48 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
I just realized I don't quite understand something about your post Skyhopper. At the top you say it weighs more than 650 grams without the battery but at the bottom it says 512. What am I missing?

Regards,
Gord
Oops -- found the bug -- bad formula on my Excel sheet. I was one cell off; my weight posted was WITH a 2200mAh, putting AUW at 707g, or 57g over recommendation.
So....subtracting the 195g of the LiPo....correct ZFW is 512g! Thanks for catching that Gordo! Now it don't sound like such a lead sled!

(Guys...remember, only individual things of more than 3-5 grams each....not 'belly tape' (unless it's very heavy belly tape), small CF pieces used in tail (very light), etc. Will help keep the posts shorter.) Plywood floor was a good inclusion! I've just got a glued-in velcro loop floorstrip - weight negligible so didn't mention that. Like that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:56 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Use the 30A Turnigy Plush 30A ESC.
AJ
Almost wish I could ask this w/o doing it 'out loud' here....but weren't some people reporting problems with those Plush's? I placed an order for a UBEC just while ago; wanted to add a 25A Red Brick but I'm beginning to think there ain't a <$20 25A ESC for sale on the face of this earth - everybody's backordered!
RCG Plus Member