Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:13 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
AJ,
Can you confirm that the fuselage is just like the Easy Star? Is it the same width and height as far as the cargo compartment goes? I's like to try one of these as an FPV ship. I have a Wild Hawk/Super Lightning and the fuselage is thenner and the cargo area is a lot smaller. Thanks.
My best guess is that the SkyS is about 20% larger (maybe more) than the EZ*. It is pretty easy to see that the SkyS (I own 3 now) would make a great FPV ship over the EZ* (I have 2 of these) or the WH (and 2 of these). If you sort of liked the space available in an FPV EZ*, you will LOVE the cargo bay in SkyS.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2010, 07:58 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Actually, the #'s are in post #19 of this thread. But, I will save you the time to go find it. Here are the #'s again:
Here are the numbers (all static with WattsUp meter):
2000Kv
TGS 6x4E
11.18 Ap
11.37 Vm (stock battery)
129.2 Wp
Be sure to keep us posted on your build. Oh, and Welcome to the thread.
AJ
P.S. Thank you for the great suggestion. I will put them in post #2.
Sorry aj, I thought it was you that posted the motor information, but it was Bajora that posted this after his review of the sky surfer.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=44
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Apr 23, 2010, 08:25 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Sorry aj, I thought it was you that posted the motor information, but it was Bajora that posted this after his review of the sky surfer.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=44
Great. Thank You. I will add it to the start of the thread.
AJ
Old Apr 23, 2010, 08:59 PM
First to go over 106K feet
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Mar 2008
2,485 Posts
Quote:
My best guess is that the SkyS is about 20% larger (maybe more) than the EZ*. It is pretty easy to see that the SkyS (I own 3 now) would make a great FPV ship over the EZ* (I have 2 of these) or the WH (and 2 of these). If you sort of liked the space available in an FPV EZ*, you will LOVE the cargo bay in SkyS.
AJ
Thanks!
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Apr 24, 2010, 11:58 AM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
AJ

If its 20% larger that will be great. I posted pictures of my EZ FPV on the EZ thread. I flat ran out of space for my goodies necessitating cutting a hatch in the belly to use that space in the tail for my gyros and the ESC. Its still cramped in there, but it works. With the additional space I should be able to do a better job of placing all the accessories.

Only 2 days and wake up and I'll be back in Yuma. My wife said my SkyS arrived last Tuesday, so looking forward to getting her assembled.

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Apr 24, 2010, 12:32 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgcag View Post
My wife said my SkyS arrived last Tuesday, so looking forward to getting her assembled.

Jack
Jack,

Sorry to hear that your wife became disassembled! Hope you get her re-assembled quickly!! Oh, and put that plane together, too while you're at it!! (ba-da-BOOM!!!)

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Apr 24, 2010, 01:56 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
hahahaha
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Apr 25, 2010, 03:33 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Sunday Flying

I went flying today just to see how the SkyS would fly in the wind. I used an 800mah battery for an AUW of 18.5 ozs. I was pleasantly surprised. It flew like it was on rails. Like it has always been in airplanes, the less weight you carry around, the better it flies. Of course, in heavy winds, more weight makes it more stable. But, in the 10-12 mph winds today, it actually flies better without the extra 2 oz. of battery and 2.0 oz. of washers. For anyone building one, especially beginners, make certain take out those washers. Keep them for windy days when the winds are 15-25mph. You might need them then. I flew 5 different planes today from jets to a Radian. Great flying.
AJ
P.S. I will get my universal motor mount pictures posted pretty soon.

Sky Surfer #2.AVI (2 min 15 sec)
Old Apr 25, 2010, 05:52 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,303 Posts
aj, definately post the universal motor mount pics. I'd like to see what you came up with. I have a 1" to 1/4" pvc adaptor that I use on the ez star, but It looks like the od is a little large for the SkyS mount pod.
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:18 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
I went flying today just to see how the SkyS would fly in the wind. I used an 800mah battery for an AUW of 18.5 ozs. I was pleasantly surprised. It flew like it was on rails. Like it has always been in airplanes, the less weight you carry around, the better it flies. Of course, in heavy winds, more weight makes it more stable. But, in the 10-12 mph winds today, it actually flies better without the extra 2 oz. of battery and 2.0 oz. of washers. For anyone building one, especially beginners, make certain take out those washers. Keep them for windy days when the winds are 15-25mph. You might need them then. I flew 5 different planes today from jets to a Radian. Great flying.
AJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEGRnFd-dj8
I want that too
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Apr 25, 2010, 08:23 PM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
AJ
Not getting the link to the video.
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:24 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
Not getting the link to the video.
Hmmmm.... I looked at UTube and it has been watched 32 times (1 is me). So, I think it is working. Did you try to go direct by just clicking on the title bar at the top of the video freeze frame? If not, I will repost it.
Oh, Did you try pavcon's reply in post #70. Can you click on it there and see it?
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Apr 26, 2010 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Another way to maybe watch it.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:28 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
aj, definately post the universal motor mount pics. I'd like to see what you came up with. I have a 1" to 1/4" pvc adaptor that I use on the ez star, but It looks like the od is a little large for the SkyS mount pod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I want that too
For now, Here the pics from my UMM documentation on the EZ* thread. It is easier than making you guys go dig for it. I will post the actual "real time" pictures as I build the UMM into the SkyS. Ah ha. I found it. HERE is the whole post. I am going to do a very similar design on the SkyS.
AJ
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:33 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
What motor do you have?

I just got my SS kit with the BL upgrade. Fit and finish looks good. Lighter then the EZ Star. Control rods seem a bit thin but will hold judgment on those until later. There's a groove on the bottom for the 72mhz antenna to run along like the EZ. It didn't have a tube in the box for it, dunno if its there in the RTF model but would add strength to the fuse if used. The 2.4Ghz guys could glue in a carbon fiber tube but not the 72Mhz guys. Don't want to run your 72mhz antenna through CF. Since I'm using 72mhz on this, (I think), I'll fine a fiberglass or plastic tube to glue in place.
The motor mount with the BL is interesting. Holds the motor out of the fuse so a you could use a lower kv motor with a larger prop if desired. Also a 28mm can inrunner seems to fit into the narcell nice. Nice to have options with a plane. The finish on the fuse ,wings and tail is beautiful. Much slicker the the EZ. Not as much foam reinforcement in the fuse as the EZ has but seems strong enough. The stock control horns seem fine for this application with the light control rods. The prop matches up with the stock EZ's prop, though the SS is lighter should work very well. Never was a fan of the stock EZ prop on the heavier EZ.
All in all, very impressed with the unit. Price was very reasonable and the deal with Banana Hobbies went very smooth.
This plane seems much lighter then a stock EZ and should out fly it in calm conditions. A heavier plane does more damage to itself on a crash. The lighter ones just seem to bounce better and have less damage.
Can't wait to get her together and in the air. Seems like a great starter plane in it's stock form or intermediate project with some modifications. This seems like a great way to start since it will preform great for a new pilot and can grow with you as you progress and want more weight/power or FPV action.
With the kit they give you a bag of washers. The general rule of RC airplanes is never to add unnecessary weight to a plane. In a perfect world you would shift the battery around to get the perfect COG but sometimes this isn't possible. Then you would use a washer or two to balance the plane. Also in this case you may want to add some washers ON THE COG to make the plane heavier to penetrate the wind better. This should not be messed with UNTIL you have some experience flying with the stock set up. Being heavier and a little bit nose heavy helps on windier days. Don't mess with this until you have plenty of experience flying on calm days. Basically, if things are working well for you, don't mes with success.
Gene did such a great review of the SkyS, I posted it here word for word. I hope it is OK with him.
AJ
Old Apr 26, 2010, 06:38 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Gene did such a great review of the SkyS, I posted it here word for word. I hope it is OK with him.
AJ
I'm sure he wont mind.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE