HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:36 PM
Here because of FPV
Toronto
Joined Jul 2010
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Did you buy the plane RTF? or ARF? I am having a hard time thinking that the factory got the motor/ESC wires wrong.
Agreed. I bought the RTF with brushless upgrade. I used your table knife suggestion and exposed the motor wire connections. They appeared to be correct with colours matching. I switched the polarity and now the motor pushes air towards the back of the plane like it should.
bradsears is offline Find More Posts by bradsears
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:03 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
3,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsears View Post
Agreed. I bought the RTF with brushless upgrade. I used your table knife suggestion and exposed the motor wire connections. They appeared to be correct with colours matching. I switched the polarity and now the motor pushes air towards the back of the plane like it should.
Don't trust any factory connections. I have had motors and servos reversed on RTF's. Nothing like launching your plane and having it turn left when you tell it to go right.

KMan
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:46 PM
Joined Oct 2009
37 Posts
Well I finally finished the cam install and tested the plane yetsrday and it worked great even doing hard loops and rolls. The wings stayed on tight. here are the pictures of how it turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawisa1 View Post
Will do. I started the install last night and hope to have it done in a few days. The nice thing about this will be that everything will be recessed into the wing thereby avoiding any drag issus. As soon as it is done I will post some pictures.
jawisa1 is offline Find More Posts by jawisa1
Old Jul 29, 2010, 12:12 PM
Joined Jun 2010
618 Posts
Sky Surfer Airframe only Weight?

What is the basic weight of the Sky Surfer airframe, foam only - no servos, motor, electronics, etc?

cliff
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:19 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffkot View Post
What is the basic weight of the Sky Surfer airframe, foam only - no servos, motor, electronics, etc?

cliff
129g total - spar not included either
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jul 29, 2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:01 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Need some help

This is off topic. But, I am desparate. Take a look a the next two videos. It is the Hawk Sky which has flown perfectly for a long time (well 40+ flights). I put the ESC on the outside for cooling (I have since put it back inside) and I cannot get the plane to fly correctly at all. It looks like it is way tail heavy. But, I have it about 5mm in front of the recommend CG (medium nose heavy). Well, it just will not fly. It ALWAYS turns radically to the right (wings are not warped). I have to hold full left rudder to just try to keep it straight. After I remove power, it just takes a path of its own and crashes. I cannot figure this one out at all. Any suggestions would be helpful. TIA.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Aug 02, 2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:06 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
see if the motor has turned either way. it mus not be completely straight... also check your elevator if it's the same on both sides and id it's straight and mounted well.. sometimes a not so well mounted stab can cause this... make sure they are sturdy enough
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
well now I saw the videos.. looks like wrong motor mount positioning..
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:45 PM
Here because of FPV
Toronto
Joined Jul 2010
90 Posts
At 20 sec in the 2nd video it looks like the motor is not inline with the fuselage. I'm such a green horn that I hesitate even commenting but it could explain the kick to the right at lift off.

* edit * whoops left this post open and now I see the other answers.
bradsears is offline Find More Posts by bradsears
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:48 PM
An Aussie in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2009
263 Posts
Quote:
This is off topic. But, I am desparate. Take a look a the next two videos. It is the Hawk Sky which has flown perfectly for a long time (well 40+ flights). I put the ESC on the outside for cooling (I have since put it back inside) and I cannot get the plane to fly correctly at all. It looks like it is way tail heavy. But, I have it about 5mm in front of the recommend CG (medium nose heavy). Well, it just will not fly. It ALWAYS turns radically to the right (wings are not warped). I have to hold full left rudder to just try to keep it straight. After I remove power, it just takes a path of its own and crashes. I cannot figure this one out at all. Any suggestions would be helpful. TIA.
AJ]
Hi AJ,

A couple of observations.....
The fact that it was nosing over on take off and from what I could see from the vid, it looks like the thrustline of the motor mount is not pushing down enough. Have you modified or re-attached the motor mount??

Did you check longitudinal balance - it looks like the right wing is heavier. I had a similar problem with my Clouds Fly.

I notice that you have a cf spar along the underside of the fuse. Has the fuse been bent/twisted at any time?

Sorry - more questions than answers.
Good luck with it.
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:07 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
see if the motor has turned either way. it mus not be completely straight... also check your elevator if it's the same on both sides and id it's straight and mounted well.. sometimes a not so well mounted stab can cause this... make sure they are sturdy enough
Quote:
well now I saw the videos.. looks like wrong motor mount positioning..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsears View Post
At 20 sec in the 2nd video it looks like the motor is not inline with the fuselage. I'm such a green horn that I hesitate even commenting but it could explain the kick to the right at lift off.

* edit * whoops left this post open and now I see the other answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
Hi AJ,

A couple of observations.....
The fact that it was nosing over on take off and from what I could see from the vid, it looks like the thrustline of the motor mount is not pushing down enough. Have you modified or re-attached the motor mount??

Did you check longitudinal balance - it looks like the right wing is heavier. I had a similar problem with my Clouds Fly.

I notice that you have a cf spar along the underside of the fuse. Has the fuse been bent/twisted at any time?

Sorry - more questions than answers.
Good luck with it.
Thanks to all of you. It was your thoughtful input that lead me to the probable solution. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your help. I have spent many, many keystrokes trying to help someone when ever I could. I figured now that I had a problem, I would not get any help anywhere. I am happy to say I was WRONG. You guys jumped right in there with lots and lots of GREAT ideas. I truly do appreaciate it. BTW-The motor (after remounting it and looking at old photos) was directly in line with the fusleage. The videos give the illusion that it is turned to the right a bit. The photo below show the "real" problem that I found by just going through the lists that you guys provided. I think you will admit it was a toughy. At least, it was for me. The problem - An unwanted spoiler after take off. In the pics below, I purposely bent the decal up for photos. Before I did that, it was totally flat on the wing. Absolutely impossible to see with the naked eye. But, if you review the 2nd video, you can see it pretty clearly at the :32 second spot in the video. The problem was there all the time and I did not see it. So, for all of your help - THANK YOU! You folks are great.
AJ
UPDATE: As a point of correctness, after looking at several screen shots, I am sure the motor was turned CW about 3 degrees or so.
Last edited by ajbaker; Jul 29, 2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Correction to post
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:24 PM
An Aussie in Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jan 2009
263 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to all of you. It was your thoughtful input that lead me to the probable solution. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your help. I have spent many, many keystrokes trying to help someone when ever I could. I figured now that I had a problem, I would not get any help anywhere. I am happy to say I was WRONG. You guys jumped right in there with lots and lots of GREAT ideas. I truly do appreaciate it. BTW-The motor (after remounting it and looking at old photos) was directly in line with the fusleage. The videos give the illusion that it is turned to the right a bit. The photo below show the "real" problem that I found by just going through the lists that you guys provided. I think you will admit it was a toughy. At least, it was for me. The problem - An unwanted spoiler after take off. In the pics below, I purposely bent the decal up for photos. Before I did that, it was totally flat on the wing. Absolutely impossible to see with the naked eye. But, if you review the 2nd video, you can see it pretty clearly at the :32 second spot in the video. The problem was there all the time and I did not see it. So, for all of your help - THANK YOU! You folks are great.
AJ

Darn pesky decals

So now they have all been removed ???
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:52 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghern View Post
Darn pesky decals

So now they have all been removed ???
Actually, no. I took a great deal of pleasure taping it's little snotty nose right to the wing. That will teach it not to mess with us. But, it got me good while it was there. I had 5 crashes (out of probably 8-9) that broke the nose off. Poor plane. Ah well, it is all part of learning. I can get all the pieces/parts for an ARF for $61 + shipping. Thanks again for all your help.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Sep 28, 2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
hahaha.. nice one...
btw the motor DOesn't necessarily have to be aligned with the fuselage and it also has to be faceing a little bit down .. isn't it? a little left or rightto counter the prop rotation is usually required
Old Jul 30, 2010, 03:24 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Quote:
hahaha.. nice one...
btw the motor DOesn't necessarily have to be aligned with the fuselage and it also has to be faceing a little bit down .. isn't it? a little left or rightto counter the prop rotation is usually required
1-3 degrees of right thrust is acceptable usually. Where I had it on Crash #2 video would be very OK. That was about 3 degrees + maybe a little bit.
AJ