flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:25 PM
Here because of FPV
Toronto
Joined Jul 2010
103 Posts
Question from a green horn on charging

Hi guys. I've been lurking for a while and just received my RTF sky surfer brushless.

Firstly I love all the mods and ideas I've seen here. I'll be doing the bigger carbon fiber rod and the rubber band wing holder for sure so thanks for all the posts, pics and video.

I do have a question. The included charger claims to be a balanced charger but does not come with a power supply. It reads that it will accept 8-12 volts but does not say what the amps need to be so I don't know what charger to get (locally) or if I have one of my own that will fit the bill. Please help me understand.

I have been reading about the fancy chargers you guys suggest and I'll get one when I next do some mail order for parts. My dream is fpv so after a few test flights I'll be doing some ordering.
bradsears is offline Find More Posts by bradsears
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:47 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
that amps of the charger shouldn't worry you as the balance charger limits them to 1amp. so make sure you have around 1500mah at 12 volts of supply..
If you are getting a better charger thne I suggest you use your car battery as a source or an old pc powersupply.. my old 800watts cheap PSU became my new power source for many things.. coolling fan for the dreambox coolling fan for the dvd-recorder source for my imax charger source for a couple of other balance chargers when I'm charging them all to save time..
oh and I also puthe imax charger on top of it and the big 120mm fan of it is a cooler for the imaxcharger too..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:06 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Chargers and Power supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsears View Post
Hi guys. I've been lurking for a while and just received my RTF sky surfer brushless.

Firstly I love all the mods and ideas I've seen here. I'll be doing the bigger carbon fiber rod and the rubber band wing holder for sure so thanks for all the posts, pics and video.

I do have a question. The included charger claims to be a balanced charger but does not come with a power supply. It reads that it will accept 8-12 volts but does not say what the amps need to be so I don't know what charger to get (locally) or if I have one of my own that will fit the bill. Please help me understand.

I have been reading about the fancy chargers you guys suggest and I'll get one when I next do some mail order for parts. My dream is fpv so after a few test flights I'll be doing some ordering.
You are very welcome for the posts, pics, and info you got here. pavcon made a great suggestion if you or someone can help you with the wiring. If you are not quite sure how to wire up an old computer power supply to work for you, I suggest that you buy THIS one. It is cheap and does the job perfectly. It will power about 3 small chargers. I have one in my shop and my hobby room and they work great.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:16 PM
Here because of FPV
Toronto
Joined Jul 2010
103 Posts
Oh man that looks just like a laptop power supply I have ... wheels are turning here boys. I hope to maiden on Sunday Thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:10 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,613 Posts
Quote:
Oh man that looks just like a laptop power supply I have ... wheels are turning here boys. I hope to maiden on Sunday Thanks.
Don't forget the video!
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:28 PM
Joined Jun 2010
8 Posts
Wow.. I still haven't gotten out to fly yet, so ticked. Almost got out tonight before sundown and a storm rolled in. It's monsoon season here in Phoenix and storms roll in very fast. They usually roll out pretty fast too but, this one blew around just long enough to steal my daylight. Gonna make a real effort to get out tomorrow.

Anyways, I was just going to go to a local park and see how the plane flys (assuming I can keep it in the air..) and then see if I need to make any adjustments. That's what I used to do with RC cars... but yeah, you can stop a car and make an adjustment, planes, not so much.

So I have a few questions that may save me some trial and error.
1. in item 7 of the mod guide it is suggested to replace the control horns. One look at the stock horns and I can see why. Could someone be so kind as to link directly to some I could order? PLEEEZ! I went to the local hobby shop and the only thing they had looked as if they bolted on and definitely did not have much of a glue surface. I had already glued the stock ones on, I hope they come off easily enough.

2. In step 8 of the mod guide it is suggested to replace the ESC with an 18-20A ESC. Once again, could someone please link some directly. I'm just so certain I will order the wrong thing and I would never know it until there was a fire or a crash... Also, with all your experience with this stuff maybe you could save me from picking something that requires soldering or has the wrong connectors. (solder is my kryptonite).

3. Another thing that may be more appropriate in a beginners guide rather than a mod guide... In setting up the rudder, elevator and ailerons, how much travel above/below right/left should you be adjusting for for good handling (specifically on the SkyS)? I hooked up my control horns in their out-of-the-box configuration and it just doesn't seem to have to much travel, though I realize it probably doesn't take much. I just don't know and would feel better if I could start out correctly.

Sorry for the long-winded post and thank you in advance for your replies.
()bie is offline Find More Posts by ()bie
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:55 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Power to burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I know.. I;m just waiting for the ARF version.. I got the electronics to do an overpowered SkyS
Grayson hobby supersonic V2 motor 2200kv
30amp ESC
1800mah 20c pack igot from my LHS
that would to the work...
it will be able to belly take off..
I say RCpowers doing it on a sky hawk.
Wow!! Yes, that will have plenty of power for the SkyS. Is yours in the mail? or have you ordered it yet? If it is not on order, there are none in stock and it looks like the end of Aug before we see any. More likely, it will be the end of Oct. before we REALLY see any. It is not the fault of BH. The SkyS is probably the most popular plane out there these days because it is a nearly exact clone of the EZ* for much less that 1/2 of the cost of the EZ*. I hope the factory tools up for many large orders to come in the future. I have never seen a plane that is popular so fast. I have one and I have an ARF (BL) in the box for a 2nd and all the pieces and parts for a 3rd one in another box except for the wings. My bet is that I won't get the wings until late September sometime if I am very lucky. Ah well, I sure hope yours is on the way. You are going to LOVE it. I promise. Excellent plane.
I have been thinking about putting up my ARF up for bid and see what I can get for it since it cannot be purchased anywhere on the globe right now. Probably start at $100.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:02 AM
CV-15 VB-16
USA, TX, Friendswood
Joined Jul 2007
1,380 Posts
Sky Surfer?

I've always thought of this as the Sky Surfer :
giuseppi is offline Find More Posts by giuseppi
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:39 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,613 Posts
Things that make you go hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppi View Post
I've always thought of this as the Sky Surfer :
They must have run out of plane names and reused it. Though, it is interesting that the red, black, and white color scheme is somewhat similar. Makes me think about a song I used to listen to...
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:25 AM
Here because of FPV
Toronto
Joined Jul 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
The power supply did work so I'm all set. Did not fly this weekend because of heavy winds. I got the plane all balanced and set up though. ESC on outside, right wing with big red stripes, washers out and rubber bands holding wings tight.

I am terrible at the flight simulator I got unless I fly it in fpv mode which is easy for me. This is a big worry me but I'll keep trying.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:16 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,613 Posts
Quote:
The power supply did work so I'm all set. Did not fly this weekend because of heavy winds. I got the plane all balanced and set up though. ESC on outside, right wing with big red stripes, washers out and rubber bands holding wings tight.

I am terrible at the flight simulator I got unless I fly it in fpv mode which is easy for me. This is a big worry me but I'll keep trying.
If I were you, I would master the flight simulator (and not in FPV mode) before heading out in the real world. It will save you lots of money and headache in the long run. I recommend 20-30 hours of time in the simulator so that you become somewhat comfortable before heading out to the field.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:31 AM
Here because of FPV
Toronto
Joined Jul 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
If I were you, I would master the flight simulator (and not in FPV mode) before heading out in the real world. It will save you lots of money and headache in the long run. I recommend 20-30 hours of time in the simulator so that you become somewhat comfortable before heading out to the field.
I'll put the time in. I find it super frustrating but then again in fpv it is decent so it is my perception which is the problem. The one I have came with its own controller and is called "Flying-Model-Simulator Version 2.0 Alpha 8.5"
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:41 AM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
bradsears

What method did you use to remove the washers?

Jim
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:04 PM
Here because of FPV
Toronto
Joined Jul 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
bradsears
What method did you use to remove the washers?
Jim
I made a small hook on the end of a coat hanger, put on a kettle, poured some near boiling water 'soup' in the nose and tugged lightly on my hook. I noticed the glue becoming liquid quickly so I just tugged lightly and they eventually came out with honey like glue hanging off of them.