Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 20, 2010, 06:11 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoR View Post
fantastic idea and thank you for sharing....I will do this to my next plane when it gets delivered.... In other news...lost my plane with about 200 bucks in mods. I flew it way too high (although still in range) I completely lost orientation and before I knew it I could no longer see it in the horizon about 1 km or more out...scanned the area but I have little hope of finding it now...what a bummer....lesson learned, keep completely in visual range unless you have FPV active!
happened to me with my F-22. although I was lucky to find it into the fields.. still some power left on the battery I was able to hear it when I gave some throttle.. the lipo was puffed and completely destroyd... I was lucky to throw it away before "ignition"
Loosing a plane just sucks.. I know because I crashed my F5 due to my own stupidity... a battery wire came off.. can you believe this??? and my soldering skills are very good I can assure you of that...
if that softens the "pain" ..it makes us 2 that lost a bird the past 2 days...
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:35 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
453 Posts
New issue discovered

Please take note.

Me and a friend both had the same issue..the motor stopped working.
While pulling the motors out I found that the bullet connectors between the motor and ESC had come apart. I noticed that the connections were very light. It would take just a little vibration to pull the connectors apart. A nose in crash could easily pop those connections lose or even a mild tug on the speed controller wires as you manipulate the hardware under the canopy.
I taped the connections to insure they don't come lose in the future.

Jim
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:00 PM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Apr 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I am sad to hear of your lost airplane. I think all of us have lost one at some time or other.
Can you put an ad in Craigs list or your local lost&found section of your newspaper? Did you have you name and address inside the plane? I have lost 2 planes and one of them came back because I had my info in the planes. I put my info in all my planes. I also put "reward offered upon return" in all of them. I paid $20 to the kid that found it and he thought I gave him a fortune. The plane and gear was about $200 also.
AJ

Really appreciate the condolences AJ....hindsight being 20/20, I will be sure to have my info inside the plane with the reward mentioned as well. I did scour a square km area of the neighborhood for the plane, put up signs on the local mailboxes with a reward offered if plane is returned etc....Also went house to house in suspect area as well. Anyway, when I was losing it, more than the monetary loss, I was very concerned about the plane crashing onto a major road and causing injury. Thankfully I didn't make the evening news so I'm ok in that regard.

I am SERIOUSLY considering some sort of autopilot more so than strickly FPV lately out of the next Sky Surfer bird...I really enjoy flying on the fringe and I will likely be doing this again, but if I were to loose orientation, I can get "fly home" commands initiated. Goal is to fly about 1.5 kms to a relatives house and back (with video). Can't wait to get off the bench!
TorontoR is offline Find More Posts by TorontoR
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:03 PM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Apr 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
happened to me with my F-22. although I was lucky to find it into the fields.. still some power left on the battery I was able to hear it when I gave some throttle.. the lipo was puffed and completely destroyd... I was lucky to throw it away before "ignition"
Loosing a plane just sucks.. I know because I crashed my F5 due to my own stupidity... a battery wire came off.. can you believe this??? and my soldering skills are very good I can assure you of that...
if that softens the "pain" ..it makes us 2 that lost a bird the past 2 days...
Oh man, sorry to hear about your losses as well bud...insult to injury when its a stupid reason for the loss! Anyway, in the words of my cousin who has sunk 25 to 30K in this hobby in the last 5 years alone....you have to pay to play in this hobby and stay in it!
TorontoR is offline Find More Posts by TorontoR
Old Jul 21, 2010, 03:24 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
265 Posts
Quote:
I am SERIOUSLY considering some sort of autopilot more so than strickly FPV lately out of the next Sky Surfer bird...I really enjoy flying on the fringe and I will likely be doing this again, but if I were to loose orientation, I can get "fly home" commands initiated. Goal is to fly about 1.5 kms to a relatives house and back (with video). Can't wait to get off the bench!
I've never really looked at Autopilot - can they be set to "fly home" in the event of communication failure??
Any recommended brands or reading material?
Thanks
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:21 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,444 Posts
Quote:
fantastic idea and thank you for sharing....I will do this to my next plane when it gets delivered.... In other news...lost my plane with about 200 bucks in mods. I flew it way too high (although still in range) I completely lost orientation and before I knew it I could no longer see it in the horizon about 1 km or more out...scanned the area but I have little hope of finding it now...what a bummer....lesson learned, keep completely in visual range unless you have FPV active!
Toronto,

Hang in there on the loss! I lost one this spring, with no name on it or anything. The wind blew it 1/2 mile in the opposite direction of where I was looking for it. A week later, somebody showed up where we fly with my plane!! Cool thing is, I had a video cam on the plane. The video was good, and I have video of the plane making lazy circles, right over my head, and gradually drifting away. It lands right in this guy's front yard!! It's pretty cool.

So don't give up yet, you never know what might happen!

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:03 AM
Joined Oct 2009
37 Posts
Will do. I started the install last night and hope to have it done in a few days. The nice thing about this will be that everything will be recessed into the wing thereby avoiding any drag issus. As soon as it is done I will post some pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
When you get a chance, can you post some pics of that setup? The guys would appreciate it.

Ron
jawisa1 is offline Find More Posts by jawisa1
Old Jul 21, 2010, 04:37 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
I am sad to hear of your lost airplane. I think all of us have lost one at some time or other.
Can you put an ad in Craigs list or your local lost&found section of your newspaper? Did you have you name and address inside the plane? I have lost 2 planes and one of them came back because I had my info in the planes. I put my info in all my planes. I also put "reward offered upon return" in all of them. I paid $20 to the kid that found it and he thought I gave him a fortune. The plane and gear was about $200 also.
AJ
Likewise AJ I put my name and cell phone number plus the words "Reward if found" on/and inside all my planes. In the last 4 years I've only lost one Mini Slinger (I was flying in winds way out of limits for the wing.), but like you a couple kids found it while my wife I & were checking out the neighborhood where it drifted into. That one cost me $10. and both the kids and I were very satisfied. All's well that ends well.

Flew my SS yesterday and after doing a bunch of acro, I thought it was flying a tad strange. It was okay except I had to hold foward (down) elevator. I trim all my planes to fly level at half throttle, so I knew something was off. When I landed it after my timer went off I pulled off the canopy and found out that duh, I'd stuck my 2200 3s battery with the velcro up rather than in contact with the floor. The battery had moved back to the hatch bulkhead. It was still flyable but just barely. Rack another one up for stupidity

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:22 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Gliding abilities

I guess that is good news/ bad news about the SkyS - It glides forever which is the good news..... It glides forever which is the Bad News.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:34 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
453 Posts
New motor mount

Just made a new motor mount. I decided not to make a universal mount.
I will fly this motor till it breaks then cut it out and replace the motor and glue back in.

Motor mount worked out super. Motor is solid, quiet and runs very very cool.
Last edited by flyvertigo; Jul 26, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:44 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
I will fly this motor till it breaks then cut it out and replace the motor and glue back in.
Wow!!! Really nicely done. It looks like you used your CNC machine to make such nice holes. What PVC (or ???) did you start with? My bet is that it was an end cap that you cut down a bit on your CNC (hmmmm.. although, I cannot see any marks on the outside housing). Did you take any pics of the building process? Again, nice piece of work.
AJ
Old Jul 22, 2010, 05:04 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
453 Posts
Quote:
Wow!!! Really nicely done. It looks like you used your CNC machine to make such nice holes. What PVC (or ???) did you start with? My bet is that it was an end cap that you cut down a bit on your CNC (hmmmm.. although, I cannot see any marks on the outside housing). Did you take any pics of the building process? Again, nice piece of work.
AJ
Thanks AJ

Yes, it is a PVC end cap I got from Lowes. The third picture shows the bar code.
Designed with Mastercam. Turned on a manual lathe. Milled on the CNC.
I didn't think to take pictures or video of the machining process.
I will be needing another motor mount when I dig the new WH out of the box. I will do vids and pics. I retired my old WH over last weekend but not by choice. The elevator came loose about 150ft up and nosedived into the pavement.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 09:05 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Thanks AJ

Yes, it is a PVC end cap I got from Lowes. The third picture shows the bar code.
Designed with Mastercam. Turned on a manual lathe. Milled on the CNC.
I didn't think to take pictures or video of the machining process.
I will be needing another motor mount when I dig the new WH out of the box. I will do vids and pics. I retired my old WH over last weekend but not by choice. The elevator came loose about 150ft up and nosedived into the pavement.
Yikes... I see what you mean. CA and Hot Glue is not enough to fix that mess. Ah well. I am glad you have one NIB. Thanks for the info. I like the screen shot of the MC program, too. I have to buy a small CNC just for my home use. Any recommendations that pop into your mind?
AJ
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:01 AM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
453 Posts
Quote:
I have to buy a small CNC just for my home use. Any recommendations that pop into your mind?
AJ
The plane was dissected to retrieve the carbon
tubes and other hardware.

Save your money.
The cost is high.
You can buy a lot of planes for the cost of a CNC
The learning curve is steep.
It takes away from fly time.
If I didn't have free access to the equipment and tooling
I would have to use simple tools like a drill press and a dremel.

Jim
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:38 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Very nice work.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE