HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:48 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
...It occurs to me that styrofoam is very buoyant...and the fuselage's forward section strongly resembles several seaplane profiles I've seen. The high-mount pusher engine config certainly wouldn't be a minus. Wondering if anyone's given that a try -- flying it off water?

Sometimes it pays to be half-crazy! *LOL*
(or at least, can lead to lots of fun!!)

Clear Skies!
~S*H
The trick with float planes is the float step. Without a sharp, angled, proper step, there is a suction that holds the plane on the water. The position must be about where you would put landing gear. It must be high and the tail sharp enough to get the water to separate.

You can't just let the tail drag in the water either. The wings must be kept from touching.

Someone posted recently about some cheap foam floats being available. Install them like two main gear...

Hmmm, come to think of it the parents in law have a small attached lake, now I want to do it too!
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:59 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,326 Posts
OK found the video of the EasyStar off water. Worth a look.

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/7e80aa226d13ff9dd04a
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jun 23, 2011, 06:55 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
AJ,

While inserting an additional CF rod or tube is the solution for strengthening the spar the issue is that the Bixler spar ID is too small for a 5mm insert (at least mine and some others who have reported the same).

Scratchin' my head for a simple solution.

Ted
I think (accent think) that your only choice is to put a 3mm in a Bixler (Sky Surfer V1) spar. In an earlier post, I put a 4mm and a 3mm CF in a V2 (accent on V2) spar. Bixler or V1 is no different. The 4mm CF will not fit.You can put a .188 CF or 3/16" CF in the spar. All of that is subject to change.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 23, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:01 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1 View Post
So the EZ* construction would be superior to the Bixler, but inferior to the SkySurfer?

I found the original EZ* through Amazon for $70 shipped. That's within a couple bucks of what I paid for my Bixler, or SkySurfer. I'm wondering if I should just cancel the Bixler, order the original EZ*, and cut in the ailerons myself.
Nope. That is too general. The EZ* is right in between the V1/Bixler and V2. In either scenario, the glide of the V1/Bixler and the V2 is better than the EZ*. You can cut the ailerons in an EZ* (I have done that to both of my EZ*'s) and the result is the same. The EZ* will not glide as well as the Sky Surfer/Bixler. What I was saying focused specifically on the construction of the planes. The EZ* is much better built than the Sky Surfer V1/Bixler. I hope that clears it up.
Also, if you buy an EZ* from Amazon, you will still have to buy a Brushless motor and ESC and LiPo somewhere else to just have a plane that is similar to the Sky Surfer. That will drive up the total cost to twice the cost of the EZ* and then some. You are not comparing apples to apples.
AJ
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:16 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Just watch your credit card statements (I pay with paypal, backed by a credit card). Some time after the payment you will get ANOTHER charge amounting to 3% called "Foreign transaction fee".

Does anyone know how to avoid this fee?
In the last 10 years, I have ordered thousands of items over the internet and I have never seen anything like a Foreign Transfer Fee. Who charged that? Do you have a copy of the charge available?
AJ
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:20 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
They list the SS as EPP foam. Whats up with that?
The SkyS and Bixler are both EPO. That is a typo. Although similar in application, EPP is quite a bit superior to EPO with respect to crash resistance.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Jun 24, 2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:26 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I think (accent think) that your only choice is to put a 3mm in a Bixler (Sky Surfer V1) spar. In an earlier post, I put a 4mm and a 3mm CF in a V2 (accent on V2) spar. Bixler or V1 is no different. The 4mm CF will not fit.You can put a .188 CF or 3/16" CF in the spar. All of that is subject to change.
AJ
I picked up a .156 today to fit in my V2 spar that measures .157 ID. .156 is what they had and it fits nicely. AJ, do you really think the second one is needed to make a total of 3 CF tubes nested together?

Also do you thoroughly glue them together as best you can?
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:32 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
I picked up a .156 today to fit in my V2 spar that measures .157 ID. .156 is what they had and it fits nicely.
1. AJ, do you really think the second one is needed to make a total of 3 CF tubes nested together?

2. Also do you thoroughly glue them together as best you can?
1. No. But, for me, the more strength, the better. The additional weight is negligible.

2. No. I don't glue them specifically because I want them to flex and "share" the load when it gets extreme.
AJ
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:37 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
1. No. But, for me, the more strength, the better. The additional weight is negligible.

2. No. I don't glue them specifically because I want them to flex and "share" the load when it gets extreme.
AJ

AJ,

I work with Carbon Fiber composites engineers where carbon fiber parts are designed and made all day long. You really want to glue the two tubes together. That's what gives them the strength of the added wall thickness.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:39 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

I work with Carbon Fiber composites engineers where carbon fiber parts are designed and made all day long. You really want to glue the two tubes together. That's what gives them the strength of the added wall thickness.

Bill
Gorilla glue? Foam Tac? CA? Welders? What's best?
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:40 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,383 Posts
Quote:
Gorilla glue? Foam Tac? CA? what's best?
Gorilla glue or even a 10 minute epoxy. You don't want a glue that will setup while you are sliding one tube into the other.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:43 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,514 Posts
Good deal, thanks
Old Jun 23, 2011, 08:34 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,514 Posts
Using Foam Tac for hinges -
Beacon Foam-Tac EPP hinges (3 min 29 sec)
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:10 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Thanks again to everybody for their comments getting my Bixler going. Took her out to the field tonight, and she flies great...

I've got a GoPro on order which should arrive in the next few days... Here's the camera mount I am going on for it... Any comments?

http://www.ilovefpv.com/2011/06/star...vening-flying/
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:11 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,383 Posts
Quote:
Using Foam Tac for hinges -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_B-NerS34w
Great demo, thanks. Welders glue will work too.
RCG Plus Member