HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2011, 10:11 AM
Joined Sep 2009
184 Posts
[QUOTE=malik_melkor;18184659]Thanks for your reply moon.

I'm not sure by what you mean keyed...I have each connection going into the antenna thing inside the plane.

sorry to take so long responding
what I meant by "keyed" is some servo connectors have a "tab" or "key" that matches a slot in the receiver so that it can only be inserted one way.
If yours are the type that can be reversed make sure all the "brown" or "black" (negative) wires are lined up on the same side of the receiver.
harry
moon12 is offline Find More Posts by moon12
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 10:38 AM
Joined Sep 2009
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skootch View Post
This is what I did Have fun
harry
Thanks Harry. Looks simple enough. I am trying to find something that doesn't show the nose of the plane, mounts easily, and won't get destroyed in a nose-first crash (trust me, I will do that). It's really unbelievable how good this little key fob camera is, considering size, weight and cost.[/QUOTE]

It's really unbelievable how good this little key fob camera is, considering size, weight and cost.
I couldn't agree more on that Skootch...I still have my original #3 and it has survived head on crashes with trees and the ground many times.
"Get This" I had given up searching for it last year after an inverted crash until one of my chums asked if I had tried a metal detector. Believe it or not I pulled it out of the clay more than two weeks later hoping I could at least salvage the 4gb card that I paid $20 for.

I'd still like to see some of your vids if you have any.

I'll try and post a video from it once I get my Sky Surfer running again, but I'm pretty sure you will see a bit of the nose of the plane.
harry
moon12 is offline Find More Posts by moon12
Old May 10, 2011, 12:40 PM
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
First, welcome to the thread. I am not clear if you own a Sky Surfer. If you do, you might want to read the modifications and stuff on Page #1 of this thread. It is updated often and new stuff is added and any mistakes are quickly corrected (so you can rely on the accuracy of the information presented there). If you have any questions, please ask. If you have any more thoughts on the above problem, please post your ideas. Most of all, have a good time while you are here.
AJ
I am a beginner and have a Sky Surfer V1 brushless with wing mods for a trainer. I live 50 miles from the "local" flying field. I don't go there and have to find a place near home. I live in a mountain area with lots of trees. Therefore the SS hasn't been in the air yet. We also have gusty breezes all day long. I will try the local high school but have to wait until no one is there on a relativity calm day. I flew a trainer for a brief time some 30+ years ago. I really shouldn't be involved in RC because of time availability and residence area.
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf
Old May 10, 2011, 12:42 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldf View Post
I am a beginner ...I really shouldn't be involved in RC because of time availability and residence area.
There is nothing rational about this hobby.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2011, 01:19 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldf View Post
I am a beginner and have a Sky Surfer V1 brushless with wing mods for a trainer. I live 50 miles from the "local" flying field. I don't go there and have to find a place near home. I live in a mountain area with lots of trees. Therefore the SS hasn't been in the air yet. We also have gusty breezes all day long. I will try the local high school but have to wait until no one is there on a relativity calm day. I flew a trainer for a brief time some 30+ years ago. I really shouldn't be involved in RC because of time availability and residence area.
Post videos when you maiden it. We all love to see a new plane fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
There is nothing rational about this hobby.
+1
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 10, 2011, 03:58 PM
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Huh. The motor goes too on its own right? I JUST had this happen on a CAR. Thought it was the ESC or something making the motor go nuts. Turns out the steering servo was bad. unplug your servos 1 at a time and see if it still happens? 5 minutes * 4 servos.. should take you about 20 minutes.
First, just wanted to say thanks for everyone helping thus far. I tried what you said rocketscience and I always had to have the throttle one in for the remote control to recognize the airplane-and when the throttle was in-either by itself or with a combination of the other servos, it would still go haywire-so maybe the throttle servo is the one messing up? Everything go nuts though if it is plugged in-ie motor always goes on because throttle has to be plugged in-but if the ailerons or rutter are plugged in, they mess up as well...Will be messing around with it a little more today.
malik_melkor is offline Find More Posts by malik_melkor
Old May 10, 2011, 05:22 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
More troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by malik_melkor View Post
First, just wanted to say thanks for everyone helping thus far. I tried what you said rocketscience and I always had to have the throttle one in for the remote control to recognize the airplane-and when the throttle was in-either by itself or with a combination of the other servos, it would still go haywire-so maybe the throttle servo is the one messing up? Everything go nuts though if it is plugged in-ie motor always goes on because throttle has to be plugged in-but if the ailerons or rutter are plugged in, they mess up as well...Will be messing around with it a little more today.
Please check the voltage drop on the battery with the system fully powered up - operational or not. I just thought of something. But, before you do that - Are you using a LiPo battery pack or a NiMH battery pack? VERY IMPORTANT. Let me know asap. If you are using a NiMh pack, I know exactly what is wrong.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 10, 2011, 06:01 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malik_melkor View Post
I'm not sure by what you mean keyed...I have each connection going into the antenna thing inside the plane.
The boxy radio things with gears that move and make gear sounds are servos (servo mechanism)
They antenna thing inside the airplane is the receiver (the transmitter is what you hold in your hands while flying) (jokes aside... )

The servo plugs that plug into the receiver are often designed with keys (tabs, slots, flat spots, etc.) so that they can only be plugged in one way.

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old May 10, 2011, 07:37 PM
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
355 Posts
Quote:
Post videos when you maiden it. We all love to see a new plane fly.

+1
AJ
I know! 4 on the bench ready to fly, a couple under construction, and several waiting in their boxes!! I need help!
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf
Old May 10, 2011, 08:12 PM
San Jose,California
Joined Nov 2010
39 Posts
Rudder-Elevator Assembly

Has anyboby made the rudder-elevator assembly (quick release) removable yet stong for easy storage or transport?
I'am working on it now with a SS V1. Two screws through tail section attached into inserts glued into rudder.Rudder and elevator sandwiched to tail section with the help of sparsely used velcro
Commander Crash is offline Find More Posts by Commander Crash
Old May 10, 2011, 08:41 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Crash View Post
Has anyboby made the rudder-elevator assembly (quick release) removable yet stong for easy storage or transport?
I'am working on it now with a SS V1. Two screws through tail section attached into inserts glued into rudder.Rudder and elevator sandwiched to tail section with the help of sparsely used velcro
I don't recall anybody doing so.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2011, 09:16 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
did something like that few years back on my Monster plane
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old May 10, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Please check the voltage drop on the battery with the system fully powered up - operational or not. I just thought of something. But, before you do that - Are you using a LiPo battery pack or a NiMH battery pack? VERY IMPORTANT. Let me know asap. If you are using a NiMh pack, I know exactly what is wrong.
AJ
Unfortunately it is a lipo, not a NiMh battery. I will check the voltage drop tonight and see what happens. I am wondering if it would just be easier to return the whole thing and ask for a replacement? I have only glued the back tail together so everything else is like new. Not sure if banana hobby would do that or not...
malik_melkor is offline Find More Posts by malik_melkor
Old May 11, 2011, 12:19 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Crash View Post
I am currently building my second SS, this time a V2 and I am incorporating this system for tail and wing attachment so that both are removable. When completed I will post photos.

I am using threaded brass inserts which I got from Tower Hobbies.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old May 11, 2011, 12:35 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Repaired and ready to fly again

All repairs are completed and the Skysurfer with Microdan is ready to fly again. I hot glued in the wing spar covers and taped with 3M Extreme tape. The right wing broke off at the wing root and it was CA'd back together but I added three 1/16" CF rods to bridge the repaired break. The wing was snapped together and hot glued into position. It's not going to fold again.

All I need now is time and good weather to fly again.
RCG Plus Member