HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2011, 01:02 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I have to tell you that I am very optimistic that you will receive your order quickly (3-4 days). Take a look at UPS tomorrow or the next day. I have seen it take as long as 2 days to get posted. So, that does not bother me and it is quite normal in my experience. So, cross your fingers and say your prayers tonight and it will probably be on your doorstep Friday.
AJ
And now I am too. The tracking website now says that a package has gone through the Pickup Scan and Processing Scan at UPS in Baldwin Park. Once UPS gets their hands on an actual package, they are quick in shipping from the LA area to San Diego. Now I am pretty confident that SOMETING from BH will arrive at my house tomorrow.

I just hope it is what I ordered: A new Sky Surfer basic airframe kit with brushless option!

Any with any luck, the 40A ESC, extra 6ch FlySky 2.4GHz receiver and MG-90 servos will arrive from HobbyPartz at about the same time. And the other HobbyPartz order, for 2200mah 3s GensAce LiPos, shortly thereafter. I love it whan a plan comes together.
Little-Acorn is online now Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2011, 02:00 AM
United States, AK, McKinley Park
Joined Dec 2010
194 Posts
My SkySurfer Video Platform

Here is the launch of what I hope to be a series of videos starring my Sky Surfer. Couldn't have done it without this forum!
Alaska Highway Trip Teaser (2 min 13 sec)
MtnSnowFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MtnSnowFlyer
Old May 04, 2011, 02:24 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
More good news..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And now I am too. The tracking website now says that a package has gone through the Pickup Scan and Processing Scan at UPS in Baldwin Park. Once UPS gets their hands on an actual package, they are quick in shipping from the LA area to San Diego. Now I am pretty confident that SOMETING from BH will arrive at my house tomorrow.

I just hope it is what I ordered: A new Sky Surfer basic airframe kit with brushless option!

Any with any luck, the 40A ESC, extra 6ch FlySky 2.4GHz receiver and MG-90 servos will arrive from HobbyPartz at about the same time. And the other HobbyPartz order, for 2200mah 3s GensAce LiPos, shortly thereafter. I love it whan a plan comes together.
Golly, it gets better all the time. However, if it doesn't arrive until Thursday, I would still be impressed with BH. On a positive note, BH delivery is pretty darn good if they have the item in stock. Oh, they can screw up anything. But, given all the past and present info on BH, I expect it will be all that you ordered and in perfect condition (double-boxed). Keep us posted.
AJ
P.S. Oh. I have seen a lot of reports of the wing having a few very small dings in them. But, nothing significant.
P.S.S. While you are waiting, please take a look at THIS link to see if there are some pearls of wisdom that might benefit you.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 04, 2011 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Add Link
Old May 04, 2011, 02:31 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSnowFlyer View Post
Here is the launch of what I hope to be a series of videos starring my Sky Surfer. Couldn't have done it without this forum!
What I liked about it:
1. Content.
2. Well edited.
3. Under 3 mins (will hold attention span).
4. The plane is not a dot in the sky.
5. Spins, Roll, Landing.

What I did not like about it:
1. Nothing.

Awesome. I can't wait for the next one.

AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; May 04, 2011 at 03:15 AM. Reason: grammar
Old May 04, 2011, 07:25 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Nicely done. I would like to put that on Page #1 for beginners especially. Your documentation is excellent. Is it OK with you?
AJ
P.S. Did you give some feedback on the MicroDan and I just missed it?
You own a V2 also. Is it Built, yet?
My Fun Cub will be here Friday. I just read your blog and I have all those electronics in stock. So, I will shamelessly copy your build.
BTW-Did you find the runway later after the maiden?
AJ,

Thank you for the compliment. Yes, please post the link on Page #1.

No flight report with the Microdan. Rainy or windy are the choices of weather these days.

V2 is still NIB.

You are going to like that FunCub. Pick up the CNC aluminum mount from Headsuprc.com.

Yes, the runway, as told by others to me, is the black section with the white stripe down the middle. It is situated between the green grass.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2011, 07:27 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
How does it compare to Foam-TAC which I bought on your recommendation (and I love it)?
AJ
Welder is similar, easier to dispense, and thinner but much higher solvent content that will attack some foams. It is another contact cement. It is safe on Skysurfer foam.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; May 04, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old May 04, 2011, 11:14 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Golly, it gets better all the time. However, if it doesn't arrive until Thursday, I would still be impressed with BH. On a positive note, BH delivery is pretty darn good if they have the item in stock. Oh, they can screw up anything. But, given all the past and present info on BH, I expect it will be all that you ordered and in perfect condition (double-boxed). Keep us posted.
AJ
And now UPS says that the parcel is in San Diego, and "Out for Delivery". Meaning, it will be at my house when I get home from work.

Only possible screwup now is, did they put the correct items in the box? No reason to think they haven't, at least until I open the box. But I've got a good feeling about it.

Quote:
P.S. Oh. I have seen a lot of reports of the wing having a few very small dings in them. But, nothing significant.
P.S.S. While you are waiting, please take a look at THIS link to see if there are some pearls of wisdom that might benefit you.
Wow, what a treasure trove of SkySurfer info. Especially the trim stuff and advice on how to check for proper down thrust, side thrust etc.

Only thing that puzzles me is that, while he used several different glues for different purposes, he didn't seem to use any Epoxy. I've been an Epoxy fan ever since Devcon came out with the first 5-min epoxy, and even before (yes, I'm that old). To me, the biggest single advantage of the SkySurfer over the EasyStar, is that you can use Epoxy on the SkySurfer. But, to each his own. Building techniques vary a lot from person to person.

Well, the adventure begins tonight. Actually maybe not, the EasyStar got here first (I bought it first, from SureFlite on Convoy Ave. here in San Diego), and I'd like to finish it before beginning the next plane. The Lanier U2 is up and flying. But I'll give a report about what's in the box, whether the fuselage has internal molding protrusions, etc.
Old May 04, 2011, 11:22 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
BTW, does anybody know what the voltage and KV rating of the "Brushless option" motor for the Sky Surfer, is?

And, I keep hearing that you have to use "Foam Safe" epoxy on the SkySurfer if you use epoxy. What epoxies are NOT foam safe? I've used many, on many kinds of foam, and have never seen an epoxy melt or eat any foam, even a little bit. (A far cry from a childhood friend who once sprayed butyrate dope on a foam wing, oy he could have cried when he saw the result)
Old May 04, 2011, 11:44 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
EZ* vs SkyS vs epoxy (well, sort of)

Quote:
1.........Only thing that puzzles me is that, while he used several different glues for different purposes, he didn't seem to use any Epoxy. I've been an Epoxy fan ever since Devcon came out with the first 5-min epoxy,

2........ the EasyStar got here first (I bought it first, from SureFlite on Convoy Ave. here in San Diego), and I'd like to finish it before beginning the next plane. The Lanier U2 is up and flying. But I'll give a report about what's in the box, whether the fuselage has internal molding protrusions, etc.
1. You are welcome to use epoxy. The only thing that I have against it (and I think Prof100 agrees) is that it is heavy when used in any quantity. Plus, it doesn't handle vibration very well because it cures rock hard. Also, it is very tough to remove (epoxy remover does work great - But, it eats the foam) So, there you have it. No one is going to think badly of you if you use epoxy. It is still a "right" glue to use along with many others.
2. I own 2 EZ*'s and 3 Sky Surfer's. I am looking forward to your feedback comparing them to each other.
AJ
Old May 04, 2011, 12:08 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Low Battery Alarm for Hobby King Transmitters

Here is a few pictures of how to install THIS battery alarm into the HK 4ch and HK 6ch transmitters. It quite clearly says that the alarm will go off when the voltage goes below 9v. After extensive testing, I discovered that is wrong. Here are the real stats.

There is a led on the monitor.
above 11.0V its lighting solid blue
10.0-11.0V its blinking blue
under 10.0V its lighting red
under 9.8V its beeping and blinking red
So, there is enough of a safety margin. For those of you who want more, put a 1n5400 diode in series with the positive lead for a "under 10.7v its beeping and blinking red".

The pictures are somewhat self-explanatory. But, if you have any questions, feel free to post them here and I will keep editing this post until I get to everyone's liking.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; May 04, 2011 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Add Links
Old May 04, 2011, 12:31 PM
United States, AK, McKinley Park
Joined Dec 2010
194 Posts
Quote:
What I liked about it:
1. Content.
2. Well edited.
3. Under 3 mins (will hold attention span).
4. The plane is not a dot in the sky.
5. Spins, Roll, Landing.

What I did not like about it:
1. Nothing.

Awesome. I can't wait for the next one.

AJ
Thanks very much AJ! Late next week is my goal for the next one.
MtnSnowFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MtnSnowFlyer
Old May 04, 2011, 03:25 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Time for the question every non-epoxy foamie beginner asks, usually ony once:

How do I get cured CA glue off my fingers?

(The obvious answer, "Don't get it on in the first place", is no longer among the available options)

Peeling it off the way I peel epoxy off, doesn't work very well... though it's an interesting weight loss method.
Old May 04, 2011, 04:15 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,399 Posts
Most of the CA manufacturers sell a CA solvent that's very effective - and it's not nasty. It's worth getting for exactly what you want it for.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Old May 04, 2011, 04:26 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Welders glue hinges - what besides Welders?

If I can't find Welders, what else has proven to work and remain flexible?

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old May 04, 2011, 04:28 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:

I've been trying to avoid buying one of these (and using some of the kits I already have) and now you have me itching badly again.

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff