HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2011, 11:58 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
Send the rain down to Texas. We have had about .25 inch of rain in the last year and are experiencing wildfires day after day.
You could use the rain we have had.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2011, 04:43 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Jan 2005
85 Posts
Several build questions

I've been working my way through all the posts (up to 2200, only 1500 to go) and have been noting all the mods that I think are the best for building my BH ARF V1. I have not found answers to the following:

1. What is the recommendation for the 6mm carbon tube spar for the wings when it comes to securing them? What I mean is do you glue it into one of the wings securely and then just ease it into the other wing when joining the wings together? If so, then what glue do you use for the wing half spar cover that does not have the spar tube glued in?

2. What is the strongest glue to use to secure the stabilizer and rudder to the fuselage? Also, how long of a piece of carbon tube do you stick up into this from the bottom hole that is at the bottom rear of the fuselage?

3. I bought some 3M Command brand Damage Free 17006 hanging mini hooks that I plan to use with rubber bands to secure the wings. Are you guys using the included adhesive strips to attach these to the wings or something else like CA? For those that have had success with these 3M hooks, what is the exact attachment point under the wings and what brand and/or size rubber bands do you use?

4. Has anyone had their prop nuts loosen using regular props or are pusher props recommended?
Skootch is offline Find More Posts by Skootch
Old May 02, 2011, 04:57 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skootch View Post
i've been working my way through all the posts (up to 2200, only 1500 to go) and have been noting all the mods that i think are the best for building my bh arf v1. I have not found answers to the following:

1. What is the recommendation for the 6mm carbon tube spar for the wings when it comes to securing them? What i mean is do you glue it into one of the wings securely and then just ease it into the other wing when joining the wings together? If so, then what glue do you use for the wing half spar cover that does not have the spar tube glued in? just slide it in. No need to glue.

2. What is the strongest glue to use to secure the stabilizer and rudder to the fuselage? Also, how long of a piece of carbon tube do you stick up into this from the bottom hole that is at the bottom rear of the fuselage? medium ca

3. I bought some 3m command brand damage free 17006 hanging mini hooks that i plan to use with rubber bands to secure the wings. Are you guys using the included adhesive strips to attach these to the wings or something else like ca? For those that have had success with these 3m hooks, what is the exact attachment point under the wings and what brand and/or size rubber bands do you use? use the white adhesive strips. Rubber bands are size 64

4. Has anyone had their prop nuts loosen using regular props or are pusher props recommended?
never had a regular prop nut loosen

in bold above
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2011, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 2005
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
never had a regular prop nut loosen

in bold above
Prof100, you are a Godsend! I don't know what I'd do without your or AJ's excellent advice (plus all the others that have contributed such great suggestions). Thank you.

Rudy
Old May 02, 2011, 06:05 PM
Joined Jan 2005
85 Posts
Hinges

Prof100 (or anyone else), I recall a post where you suggested using HK nylon hinges. I got some, 20x36mm. Do you like these better than the 3M Extreme tape hinges? I recall you saying to use 3 per aileron. How many for the rudder and elevator? I assume you use a hobby knife to slice the centerline and slip the nylon hinges in. Any special adhesive to use?

Thanks again,

Rudy
Old May 02, 2011, 06:50 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skootch View Post
Prof100 (or anyone else), I recall a post where you suggested using HK nylon hinges. I got some, 20x36mm. Do you like these better than the 3M Extreme tape hinges? I recall you saying to use 3 per aileron. How many for the rudder and elevator? I assume you use a hobby knife to slice the centerline and slip the nylon hinges in. Any special adhesive to use?

Thanks again,

Rudy
Rudy,

3M Xtreme tape is fine. I do NOT cut through the foam hinge but I do work the heck out of the hinge so it's pretty floppy if not structurally useless. I tape both top and bottom. The real hinge is the tape, the foam remains to simply position the surfaces for taping.

TAPE HOW TO
Fold the top over as far as it need to go for up movement and tape from the bottom. Fold the bottom surface over and tape from the top. Follow the surface contour. Don't tape with it in the neutral postion because then the tape would constrain movement. Of course, clean surfaces with alcohol to improve adhesion.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2011, 06:51 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skootch View Post
Prof100, you are a Godsend! I don't know what I'd do without your or AJ's excellent advice (plus all the others that have contributed such great suggestions). Thank you.

Rudy

Rudy,

Glad to help. When you reached 9200 posts you'll be helping just as much.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2011, 07:04 PM
Joined Jan 2005
85 Posts
Quote:
Rudy,

3M Xtreme tape is fine. I do NOT cut through the foam hinge but I do work the heck out of the hinge so it's pretty floppy if not structurally useless. I tape both top and bottom. The real hinge is the tape, the foam remains to simply position the surfaces for taping.

TAPE HOW TO
Fold the top over as far as it need to go for up movement and tape from the bottom. Fold the bottom surface over and tape from the top. Follow the surface contour. Don't tape with it in the neutral postion because then the tape would constrain movement. Of course, clean surfaces with alcohol to improve adhesion.
Prof100, thanks once again. I'll try the 3M tape hinges for now and not use the nylon hinges I got from HobbyKing.
Wow, I guess you are over 9300 posts. I'll be dead and gone long before I reach that many.
Old May 02, 2011, 08:45 PM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Sky Surfer Wing Loading Max

Not sure if this has been covered but can anyone tell me what's close to the maximum wing loading this plane can handle? I'm not wanting to do loops but a loaded FPVer. Would 1219grams/43ish oz with a CG of 50-55mm make it with the stock brushless with 6X4 pushing it? I glide tested it at this weight and CG looks good with a little on the nose heavy side. I'm just waiting for a good weather day to test fly. What kind of issues am I looking at?
Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
Old May 02, 2011, 08:50 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirewolf903 View Post
Not sure if this has been covered but can anyone tell me what's close to the maximum wing loading this plane can handle? I'm not wanting to do loops but a loaded FPVer. Would 1219grams/43ish oz with a CG of 50-55mm make it with the stock brushless with 6X4 pushing it? I glide tested it at this weight and CG looks good with a little on the nose heavy side. I'm just waiting for a good weather day to test fly. What kind of issues am I looking at?
That's a pretty hefty Skysurfer. Did you reinforce the CG spar? If not, you should.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2011, 09:04 PM
FPV ADDICT
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
That's a pretty hefty Skysurfer. Did you reinforce the CG spar? If not, you should.
I broke the carbon stock one...have three more ordered from BH. I put a oak spar and added some reinforcements in the center, but that's all. I do have a fiber glass spar I could use at 42g where the oak is only 17g. I checked the broken stock spar and with the inner carbon added it's running at 20g so I'll go ahead and add the fiber glass spar....thanks
Last edited by Wirewolf903; May 02, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old May 02, 2011, 09:09 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,421 Posts
Quote:
I broke the carbon stock one...have three more ordered from BH. I put a oak spar and added some reinforcements in the center, but that's all. I do have a fiber glass spar I could use at 42g where the oak is only 17g.
The stock ones are pretty weak that's why it's recommended to insert another smaller one inside.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2011, 09:18 PM
FPV ADDICT
Joined Jan 2011
562 Posts
Quote:
The stock ones are pretty weak that's why it's recommended to insert another smaller one inside.
I found those driveway reflectors on the fiber glass pole they sell at lowes and home depot are the same diameter as the stock CF spar but like I said twice as heavy and strong.
Old May 02, 2011, 09:28 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,421 Posts
Quote:
I found those driveway reflectors on the fiber glass pole they sell at lowes and home depot are the same diameter as the stock CF spar but like I said twice as heavy and strong.
It's up to you what to use. If it is strong enough and you can handle the weight use it.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2011, 09:30 PM
Not Again !!
Texas
Joined Dec 2006
162 Posts
Mine is just over 3 pounds and I use the stock spar with a dowel inside that it is just for FPV and I am not using the stock motor it is a 2845 2100kv on a 6x4apc and has no problem climbing I am at 3600 atl granted it has only been flown in cold or cool weather. Will see what it does at 4200atl and 100 degree Texas heat
FredS is offline Find More Posts by FredS