SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:16 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
I'm a scratch builder so I just balance my props with a shishkabob stick a counter top and some scotch tape, lol.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2011, 08:21 PM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
another magnetic balancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Both of you are most welcome. Please remember to balance the prop. At the high Kv (2100) of this motor, a balanced prop is a MUST. If not, the motor WILL toss magnets (actually, it can anyhow on it's own)
HERE is the balancer that I recommend. I have tried 7 different balancers (even laser) and this one is still my favorite. The price is certainly right. Happy Flying to all.
How funny that is the balance r I was going to buy but I bought this one instead.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7702
I hope its just as good has lots of adapters and parts.
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:20 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Balancer from HK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparken57 View Post
How funny that is the balance r I was going to buy but I bought this one instead.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7702
I hope its just as good has lots of adapters and parts.
First, I apologize. That one was the worst of all the balancers that I tested. I did not even give it to one of my pals. I just threw it away. You too can do a simple test of it. Balance any prop. Then, put about a 1/4" sq. piece of scotch tape (about 1/16-1/10 of a gram) near either tip. The prop will still balance. The reason for that is poor construction that has friction on every point that the balance mechanism touches. The construction of it is aesthetically very pleasing. But, the actual application is worthless. Sorry.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:22 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
balancer mod -hehehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
I'm a scratch builder so I just balance my props with a shishkabob stick a counter top and some scotch tape, lol.
Good. But, to improve it a bit, use single-edge razor blades on both sides of the stick.
AJ
Old Mar 11, 2011, 03:45 AM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
so whats the BEST balancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
First, I apologize. That one was the worst of all the balancers that I tested. I did not even give it to one of my pals. I just threw it away. You too can do a simple test of it. Balance any prop. Then, put about a 1/4" sq. piece of scotch tape (about 1/16-1/10 of a gram) near either tip. The prop will still balance. The reason for that is poor construction that has friction on every point that the balance mechanism touches. The construction of it is aesthetically very pleasing. But, the actual application is worthless. Sorry.
AJ
So AJ in your opinion what is the BEST prop balance r?Have a link to the best not worst balance r.
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:04 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Best all around Balancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparken57 View Post
So AJ in your opinion what is the BEST prop balance r?Have a link to the best not worst balance r.
Sorry. I usually give a link after sharing such a terrible review. HERE is my favorite. I have tried 7 different balancers in all (2 laser types). That one is the best for quality and accuracy. A big perk is that you will love the price. Normally, I would say that all of the above was IMO. But, in this case, my conclusion is based on research and experience.
AJ
If you shop around a little (like EBay, other hobby shops, etc.), you might be able to find it cheaper than $20 + $9 shipping. Did you read post #3000? I shared the link to this balancer there, too.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:22 AM
Not Again !!
Texas
Joined Dec 2006
162 Posts
Here is a video of 2 friends and my self I taped a camera on my hat and we just had a great afternoon for fun flying after being cooped up all winter.SORRY FOR SOME LANGUAGE . Probably broke a few rules but we have been flying together for years and it is just how we play .

3 friends .rm (11 min 37 sec)
FredS is offline Find More Posts by FredS
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:08 AM
Joined Nov 2009
719 Posts
Tail heavy?????

have a question , my SS is tail heavy , what is the best way , just to give down trim ,so it fly level or to add weight to nose ??????
battery 220mah 3s ,pushed all the way front ,still tail heavy

what is the easy way to balance the airplane ,is there any DIY balance to do so???????
thanks

Im using telebee gyros for rudder and elevator ,works good
mastmalang70 is offline Find More Posts by mastmalang70
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:24 PM
Germany, BW, B÷blingen
Joined Mar 2011
21 Posts
Videos

AJ,

Great videos, I guess I have a V1 as I don't have a pilot figure. The re-build went well but now I can't bind my radio and receiver. I'm thinking the cheap blitz works receiver is bad as the case was mis-aligned after the crash. Should I just buy a decent radio with multiple receivers or order a new one from BH? I don't see the receivers as a purchase option, only as a set eith the transmitter.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot to make sure?

Thanks all.
ScottyDz is offline Find More Posts by ScottyDz
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:24 PM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
205 Posts
Still Tail Heavy

Moved the CG to about 65mm and flew today. I'm still having a problem with the plane porpoising really badly unless I have no power applied. Even then, I can't add enough down elevator to bring the nose down to land. Due to this, I enlisted help from an expert at my club. He observed the flight and agreed that it was definitely tail heavy (he flew it and helped me land it).

To get to 65, I've added 1 1/2 oz of lead in the nose, have landing gear (ahead of the CG), and have the battery (2200mAh) shoved all the way in the nose. I've checked the function of the elevator, and it clearly has adequate throw. I can easily generate +/- 5/8" of travel - however in flight I have 60% expo and have decided to limit the up elevator travel.

The expert that I was referring to is an accomplished pilot, and builds UAVs for a living (pretty sharp aero engineer). He was concerned about the angle of the elevator with respect to the wing. If you look at the two and put a straight edge on the underside of the wing, the elevator angles downward about 5 degrees (in a direction that would make the plane climb). It looks like it is glued into the slot properly. Is this normal for this airframe?

The things I'm considering:

1. Pull the tail apart and shim the elevator so it is closer to level with the wings.
2. Remove the Turnigy HXT 2835 and put the stock motor back in (it's lighter)
3. Remove the landing gear

Hopefully I can get this done this week and try again next weekend.... Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
gtoguy is online now Find More Posts by gtoguy
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoguy View Post
Moved the CG to about 65mm and flew today. I'm still having a problem with the plane porpoising really badly unless I have no power applied. Even then, I can't add enough down elevator to bring the nose down to land. Due to this, I enlisted help from an expert at my club. He observed the flight and agreed that it was definitely tail heavy (he flew it and helped me land it).

To get to 65, I've added 1 1/2 oz of lead in the nose, have landing gear (ahead of the CG), and have the battery (2200mAh) shoved all the way in the nose. I've checked the function of the elevator, and it clearly has adequate throw. I can easily generate +/- 5/8" of travel - however in flight I have 60% expo and have decided to limit the up elevator travel.

The expert that I was referring to is an accomplished pilot, and builds UAVs for a living (pretty sharp aero engineer). He was concerned about the angle of the elevator with respect to the wing. If you look at the two and put a straight edge on the underside of the wing, the elevator angles downward about 5 degrees (in a direction that would make the plane climb). It looks like it is glued into the slot properly. Is this normal for this airframe?

The things I'm considering:

1. Pull the tail apart and shim the elevator so it is closer to level with the wings.
2. Remove the Turnigy HXT 2835 and put the stock motor back in (it's lighter)
3. Remove the landing gear

Hopefully I can get this done this week and try again next weekend.... Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.
Before you doing anything else check to see if you have bad servo pot. Arm the plane and have someone hold it while you power it up. Of course, be careful. Watch to make sure the elevator servo is not moving around without input. Servo pots do go bad. It happens.

The stock horizontal stab incidence is just fine on the plane. Don't mess with it. The only way it could get screwed up is if you glued it in without fully seating it.

Are the control horns glued in and not loose?

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:56 PM
Not Again !!
Texas
Joined Dec 2006
162 Posts
5 degree negative is quite a bit and cause it to hunt neutral with power on it will want one trim and power off it will want another. I fly mine really tail heavy and it stays trimmed on power and off ..
FredS is offline Find More Posts by FredS
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:45 AM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Before you doing anything else check to see if you have bad servo pot. Arm the plane and have someone hold it while you power it up. Of course, be careful. Watch to make sure the elevator servo is not moving around without input. Servo pots do go bad. It happens.

The stock horizontal stab incidence is just fine on the plane. Don't mess with it. The only way it could get screwed up is if you glued it in without fully seating it.

Are the control horns glued in and not loose?

Bill
Bill,

Sorry, I should have mentioned that that was one of the things we checked out early on (before we started moving the CG). We put a slight load on the servo arm and actuated it from the radio. It's behaving in a closed loop fashion, not hunting around, not drifting, seems to be doing what the radio is telling it to do.

Replaced all the control horns with Great Planes horns that are the screw in type (small retainer on the opposite side of the flight surface). I found ones that were exactly the same size as stock, and positioned the clevises in the outermost holes. They are not binding, nor or they loose in any manner.

I made very sure that the stabilizer was well seated before I glued it in. The glue is holding it very well and it isn't loose. Is the amount of incidence that I'm witnessing normal for this airframe?

Thanks, Paul
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:27 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
I made very sure that the stabilizer was well seated before I glued it in. The glue is holding it very well and it isn't loose. Is the amount of incidence that I'm witnessing normal for this airframe?
Using only a bubble level it looks like my V2 SkyS has close to zero incidence. I really can't provide an accurate measurement.
I have noticed that the fit of the wing into the fuselage is not as snug on my SkyS as on my AXN Clouds Fly. I don't suppose your wing is loose.

Last time I checked I was flying with the CG at the middle of the spar cover or about 72mm. I run the stock motor and 3S 1500mah batteries with no weight added for balance. The only mod is the rubberband wing fixing device.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Mar 14, 2011, 01:38 AM
USA, CA, Healdsburg
Joined Dec 2007
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
Using only a bubble level it looks like my V2 SkyS has close to zero incidence. I really can't provide an accurate measurement.
I have noticed that the fit of the wing into the fuselage is not as snug on my SkyS as on my AXN Clouds Fly. I don't suppose your wing is loose.

Last time I checked I was flying with the CG at the middle of the spar cover or about 72mm. I run the stock motor and 3S 1500mah batteries with no weight added for balance. The only mod is the rubberband wing fixing device.
My wings are snug, and I'm using the velcro mod to hold them together. No slop in the wing mounts or wing roots. I'd be interested for others to see if they can measure or eyeball the incidence between the wing and the stabilizer. It would certainly explain the mystery I'm having with this plane.