Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by al128 View Post
hi there, folks

whats the correct orientation of the servo lead on the rx? where does the BROWN lead go, up (towards the center) or down on the RX ...

I cant believe they did not key a 3 prong connection

thx
al
The orange (or white wire) goes toward the center of the receiver. Don't worry about putting it on backwards. You cannot hurt a thing. The servo simply will not work.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2011, 02:08 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Accuracy is important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Actually it's less then that. You were reading a static reading. It will be about 10% less when the prop unloads in the air.
I completely forgot about the static load on the prop. Thanks for the reminder. I cannot take a reading with a WattsUp meter while the airplane is flying. So, to get a "real" minimun watts reading, I need to use my Eagle Tree system that records that kind of information for playback later. Again, thanks. It shows that I need to do a different kind of testing to get an accurate number.
AJ
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:59 PM
Joined Jul 2010
17 Posts
Umm

Hello all. I just wanted to post some pics of my UMM. It can be installed without seperating the fuselage. The small piece that the motor is mounted to (1/2" Box Adapter) is removable. There are two parts which make up this UMM. They are a 1/2" Cantex Box adapter and a 1/2" Cantex Coupling. Both are from the electrical conduit section in the Home Depot. I can post further instructions of how I modified the two pieces to allow me to mount the motor pictured (Microjet V3) if anybody wants me to. The setup is very solid and it is also very easy to swap motors if need be. Anyway, I hope this helps someone with their design.
arion02 is offline Find More Posts by arion02
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:52 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arion02 View Post
Hello all. I just wanted to post some pics of my UMM. It can be installed without seperating the fuselage. The small piece that the motor is mounted to (1/2" Box Adapter) is removable. There are two parts which make up this UMM. They are a 1/2" Cantex Box adapter and a 1/2" Cantex Coupling. Both are from the electrical conduit section in the Home Depot. I can post further instructions of how I modified the two pieces to allow me to mount the motor pictured (Microjet V3) if anybody wants me to. The setup is very solid and it is also very easy to swap motors if need be. Anyway, I hope this helps someone with their design.
Very elegant design arion02. Sure, you have to post the rest of the story.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:52 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Umm

Quote:
Hello all. I just wanted to post some pics of my UMM.
Looks good. Did you use any professional tools such as a router or did you do the whole job with a Dremel and hand tools?
Any idea what the two plastic pieces weigh?
Thanks.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Mar 06, 2011, 12:37 PM
Joined Jul 2010
17 Posts
Prof100,

Thanks. I will post the details in a bit.

Garymcc,

Unfortunately, I am temporarily assigned to a duty station (military) far from home, so I do not have access to my arsenal of tools. However, I did use a file set, small hand drill, and some sandpaper. A dremel would have been pretty handy. I do not know how much the two plastic pieces weigh. I can tell you that the two pieces are pretty small and fairly light.

Arion
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:30 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Inrunner mount

Quote:
How do you mount a 28mm inrunner inside your design?
AJ
Old Mar 06, 2011, 01:32 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
Prof100,

Thanks. I will post the details in a bit.

Garymcc,

Unfortunately, I am temporarily assigned to a duty station (military) far from home, so I do not have access to my arsenal of tools. However, I did use a file set, small hand drill, and some sandpaper. A dremel would have been pretty handy. I do not know how much the two plastic pieces weigh. I can tell you that the two pieces are pretty small and fairly light.

Arion
Good enough. Thanks.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Mar 06, 2011, 06:52 PM
Joined Jul 2010
17 Posts
Ajbaker,

I designed my mount for outrunners. An inrunner motor just would not work with my setup. The inside diameter is too small, and the set screw would inhibit installation of an inrunner mounted inside the 1/2" coupling.

Arion
Old Mar 06, 2011, 10:56 PM
Put Your Hand under the Brick!
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
20 Posts
Sky Surfer Build.

Here is the rest of my build pic's. I took her out Saturday and with my new Zippy 2200mah 30c, CG is spot on. Went through 3 lipo's total flight time about 45min. I got my new servos from HK, the HXT900 will Install them for next flight. Sorry no Vid's was solo this time. Also waiting for some Orange RX DSM2 to come in from HK to change out stock reciver and use my Spektrum. I think im going to keep the ESC and Motor stock for now till the burn up. lol

Thanks all For all the great support on this thread.

Key
Keyholebud is offline Find More Posts by Keyholebud
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:07 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyholebud View Post
Here is the rest of my build pic's. I took her out Saturday and with my new Zippy 2200mah 30c, CG is spot on. Went through 3 lipo's total flight time about 45min. I got my new servos from HK, the HXT900 will Install them for next flight. Sorry no Vid's was solo this time. Also waiting for some Orange RX DSM2 to come in from HK to change out stock reciver and use my Spektrum. I think im going to keep the ESC and Motor stock for now till the burn up. lol

Thanks all For all the great support on this thread.

Key
Key,

Good for you. Congratulations on a sucessful maiden.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:33 AM
Not Again !!
Texas
Joined Dec 2006
162 Posts
Spa Jet fitting .. Now thats a great Idea... the things we use to make things work .. LOL
This is what makes this thread so cool !
FredS is offline Find More Posts by FredS
Old Mar 08, 2011, 12:16 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Other mounts.

Quote:
Now that I know that you did it with just hand tools, I am REALLY impressed. Well done, indeed. In the future, if you want to just use an outrunner mount, I suggest you use THIS one OR, THIS one for those of you that like the "X" mount. It is simple, lightweight, and inexpensive. I have used 2 of them on my planes.
AJ
Old Mar 08, 2011, 12:28 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
Here is my $12 UMM I bought from MicroDan.

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2011, 04:05 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
I am sure I am missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Here is my $12 UMM I bought from MicroDan.
Can you mount a 28mm outrunner in/on it? Also, it looks like it holds an inrunner in with grub screws. What am I missing?
AJ
UPDATE: I went to the site and got the other picture. It makes perfect sense now. The UMM is in keeping with the usual excellent quality (IMO) that I have come to expect from them.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Mar 08, 2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: move pic to attachments