HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2011, 05:23 PM
Livin' Life to the MAX
USA, CA, Oxnard
Joined Nov 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
When did you buy your SkyS? Is it a V1 or V2? Did you buy an ARF? or RTF? BTW-A Ver. 2 has a plastic canopy with a little pilot inside. With that info, I might to able to assist you in determining what type of extra weight you have (if any). Oh, while you are at it, take the wings off and take out the LiPo. Where does the fuselage balance at? How far from the nose. Approximate is good enough.
AJ
Well. Strange story. A friend went to the big Hobby show in Ontario Ca three weeks ago. I asked him to get me whatever Banana H had (figuring V1 RTF BUT that I preferred an ARF knowing that I couldn't get it since I had talked to them on the phone about it. He came back with a box that said RTF BUT inside there was a battery but no TX or RX (which was great with me) AND IT WAS A V2 and the price was good. Made the mods put on a 6X4 prop and it flies (literally and figuratively) In the meantime, I had ordered a kit from BEVRC. It is a V2 also. There are matching holes about 1 inch in diameter inside at the front of the nose. I am presuming that in the preasembled ones that is where the weight might go (that may have come loose on mine) Dunno.
The fuse seems to balance about 1.5 inches ahead of the back most part of the wing cutout (trailing edge, just about even with the topmost cutout of the motor air intake. Does ANY of that make sense (I read it several times and didn't understand)!
Rick
RickMcD is offline Find More Posts by RickMcD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:04 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Hot glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,
Servo tape to retain a servo?
Preposterous!
I agree. If I am going to go that direction, I wrap the servo in blue painters tape and hot glue it in place. It is simple to change the servo if the need arises - Just cut the tape and replace the servo.
AJ
P.S. I did not even start using Hot Glue until about a year ago. I can't believe how long I went without ever using it. Now, I have 4 different glue guns and two more in the car. A person can never have enough glue guns in stock. The two that I have in the car are butane powered and LiPo powered. The butane one is FAST to get heated up - 55 seconds and it is ready to go.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:23 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,649 Posts
Quote:
I agree. If I am going to go that direction, I wrap the servo in blue painters tape and hot glue it in place. It is simple to change the servo if the need arises - Just cut the tape and replace the servo.
AJ
P.S. I did not even start using Hot Glue until about a year ago. I can't believe how long I went without ever using it. Now, I have 4 different glue guns and two more in the car. A person can never have enough glue guns in stock. The two that I have in the car are butane powered and LiPo powered. The butane one is FAST to get heated up - 55 seconds and it is ready to go.
AJ
AJ,

All kidding aside, the mounting in wood solves the problem of removing and replacing should a servo failure occur -- nicely designed, nicely executed.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 26, 2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:54 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Anchors away

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMcD View Post
Well. Strange story. A friend went to the big Hobby show in Ontario Ca three weeks ago. I asked him to get me whatever Banana H had (figuring V1 RTF BUT that I preferred an ARF knowing that I couldn't get it since I had talked to them on the phone about it. He came back with a box that said RTF BUT inside there was a battery but no TX or RX (which was great with me) AND IT WAS A V2 and the price was good. Made the mods put on a 6X4 prop and it flies (literally and figuratively) In the meantime, I had ordered a kit from BEVRC. It is a V2 also. There are matching holes about 1 inch in diameter inside at the front of the nose. I am presuming that in the preasembled ones that is where the weight might go (that may have come loose on mine) Dunno.
The fuse seems to balance about 1.5 inches ahead of the back most part of the wing cutout (trailing edge, just about even with the topmost cutout of the motor air intake. Does ANY of that make sense (I read it several times and didn't understand)!
Rick
Yes. It makes perfect sense. You DO have a weight in your plane and I suggest that you remove it. On your plane, you can "tease" the nose apart with a table knife and it will drop out on the table (or floor). Well done on your research. It makes it simple for me. Oh, I have never tried it; but, try holding the nose up to a bright light and see if you can see "through" the foam and get a glimpse of the outline of the weight. Probably a ball bearing. You did great. The rest is easy. Obviously, if you decide you need some weight up front, put a bigger battery in it. For me, mine (V1) balances quite well with a 1300mah LiPo stuffed all the way up front. I don't know what my V2 will want (yet). The picture below shows a V2 and you correctly pinpointed the location of the dead weight. Maybe it will help you with locating the weight. Make sure you go very slow with the table knife (NOT a sharp knife) and it will open up for you. It is just held together with double-sided scotch tape. So, it should pry open fairly easily. Good luck. But, I don't think you will need it.
AJ
P.S. It seems that JPower (the manufacturer of the plane) discontinued putting the washers and ball bearings in the plane. It was kind of a stupid idea to begin with. The only useful purpose of the extra weight would be stability in the wind. But, a beginner should not be flying in the wind. My ARF (from BEVRC) did not come with a ball bearing either. I wonder if Prof100 got any kind of ballast with his V2?
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 26, 2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Add picture
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:58 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Trying to imitate your work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

All kidding aside, the mounting in wood solves the problem of removing and replacing should a servo failure occure -- nicely designed, nicely executed.

Bill
Thanks for the props. Honestly, I did design it with you in mind. I was just hoping to design something that was "close" to what you might do. I guess it is OK, then, to put the mod on Page #1 - Post #3. I have one OK thus far. If you OK it, I will post it.
AJ
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:02 PM
Columbus, GA
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
My first video with the SkyS

Sorry its so bumpy, im still getting used to flying this is such windy conditions...

Sky Surfer First Video (7 min 26 sec)
D0Z3R is offline Find More Posts by D0Z3R
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:17 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,649 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the props. Honestly, I did design it with you in mind. I was just hoping to design something that was "close" to what you might do. I guess it is OK, then, to put the mod on Page #1 - Post #3. I have one OK thus far. If you OK it, I will post it.
AJ
AJ,

You are welcome.

Of course, post the link in on Page #1, Post 3. You just saved the next person a boat load of time figuring it out.

Well done.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:40 AM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
great Vid Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
Yep, the plane was a little tail heavy.
I made all the adjustments I thought it needed and the plane flew beautifully.

Until...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cGa2...os=Qi95BJktGso

A closer look.
Hay Jim really great VID & I like the velcro idea.I had thoughts of glueing the small rare earth magnets I bought to the ends of each wing holding together.but your video I think shows the velcro will hold better than magnets.and it will be a lot easier. yep going with your set up.

happy happy landings!!!
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old Jan 27, 2011, 06:17 AM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparken57 View Post
Hay Jim really great VID & I like the velcro idea.I had thoughts of glueing the small rare earth magnets I bought to the ends of each wing holding together.but your video I think shows the velcro will hold better than magnets.and it will be a lot easier. yep going with your set up.

happy happy landings!!!
Thanks for the feedback. I would bet that the magnets would not hold the wings together when the carbon tube breaks.

Happy landings back at you too.

Jim
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old Jan 27, 2011, 01:02 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2005
98 Posts
KeyChain Combo

Here's a new mod for my SkySurfer, keychain flashlight with HD720 Mini DV mounted on top.

It's a cheap landing light. I got it at my favorite surplus store for $2.99.
If the fog lifts today, I might have a video tonight. Have not flown since November 2010. Rain. . Rain .. rain.

Eagle-Eye is offline Find More Posts by Eagle-Eye
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:16 PM
San Jose,California
Joined Nov 2010
39 Posts
Some ideas on the V2 for servo mounting.

[QUOTE=ajbaker] Here is what I did to mod the V2 to allow for easily changing out the servo(s) in case of failure.

I'am going to do this to my SkyS v2.
what glue did you use to glue the wood to the foam?

I have a problem with my SkyS V1.There is rust in my elevator control cable housing it is causing the metal cable to get stuck.What can i use to lube this with out removing the housing from the plane?

Thanks Ralph
Commander Crash is offline Find More Posts by Commander Crash
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:07 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
[QUOTE=Commander Crash;17235442]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Here is what I did to mod the V2 to allow for easily changing out the servo(s) in case of failure.

I have a problem with my SkyS V1.There is rust in my elevator control cable housing it is causing the metal cable to get stuck.What can i use to lube this with out removing the housing from the plane?

Thanks Ralph
You might try some of the "dry" bicycle chain lubes, those based on graphite or Teflon. WD40 might do it. I would be wary of the petroleum based lubes as they tend to attract and hold dust and dirt.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Jan 28, 2011, 07:01 AM
Alabama
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
[QUOTE=garymcc;17235816]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Crash View Post

You might try some of the "dry" bicycle chain lubes, those based on graphite or Teflon. WD40 might do it. I would be wary of the petroleum based lubes as they tend to attract and hold dust and dirt.
+1 on the chain lube if you have some around. You could also go to the door locks section of Lowe's or your favorite home/hardware store and get a $1 bottle of graphite powder lube. In addition to attracting dirt, the petroleum based stuff MIGHT eat the foam.
studawg66 is offline Find More Posts by studawg66
Old Jan 28, 2011, 01:25 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Glue to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
CA Thin. (Regular CA - NOT foam safe).
AJ
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:23 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
How it works

Evidently, because of the danger that LiPos present, they are no longer allowed to be shipped by air. So, if you order even 1 tiny LiPo, you order choices are EMS or International (Registered) Air Mail (Swiss Post). SP sucks big time. It will take about 2 months to get your order if you use them. The email from them below reflects the information above. So, be warned. Happy Flying to all.
AJ

Dear AJBaker,

We apologize sincerely for inconvenience caused.

Please kindly note that we only ship orders by Swiss post if shipping method is International (Registered) Air Mail. We are really sorry for any inconvenience caused. If you do not want order to be shipped by Swiss post, you are kindly advised not to use shipping type of International (Registered) Air Mail for your future purchase.

Thank you for your support and kindly understanding, Arnold Baker.

*Due to high volume of daily emails, it may take 3 - 7 days before we read and reply your email.Thank you for your patience during this demanding time*

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact us!

Best Regards,
Jenny
Customer Service Support
HobbyKing.com

This e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, please delete this e-mail and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. If you are not the addressee, please do not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions.
"SAVE PAPER - THINK GREEN!”
“Help us improve our service. Click here to complete the customer survey”