SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:22 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
agree at a point.. but that motor with a 6x4E draws 17amps. so I guestimate that a 6x6 or a 7x4 or 5 will still be fine

if hes' running FPV then yes you are right external ubec should be the one to use.. unless he's using a separate power source
I am just cautious especially when it comes to power sets because sometimes newer RC flyers will try things like a 4S and stay with 6x4 prop even though the motor is tested on a 4S with a 5x5 prop. That coupled with the ever improving batteries such as the $24 3S 45-90C Nano tech batteries. But, if the motor is not over propped and UBEC is added for FPV accessories a 30 amp esc is just fine.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:38 AM
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldf View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OU:US:1123

I'm going to replace the CF with the wood until I can find solid CF with decent shipping costs. I just can't justify paying more for the shipping than the CF rod.
I found some:
http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...d=rcps81949_60

$3.90 for 6mm X 1000mm CF solid rod. I'm not sure on the shipping charge for the rod. I had to pay $13 for shipping for 2 rods and two 350mah lipos.
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf
Last edited by ronaldf; Jan 18, 2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: add info
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:02 AM
Alabama
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
The bow hunting season may figure in to the arrow equation. I thought maybe they sold "blanks" with no point or feathers. Not being an archer I can only speculate.
Both regional and seasonal. I live in Alabama, so our WalMart stores sell guns and ammo, which is not always the case in other regions. Just a week ago they had boxes and boxes of CF arrow shafts (no tips, just the shaft and vanes) but this week they had none. What this means is that I missed the closeout sale They don't keep the archery or muzzle loading supplies in stock for very long after those seasons are over or another season is coming and they need the shelf space. But a big sporting goods store should have them year round. We have Academy Sports in this area and they have hundreds of $4 CF shafts sitting on the shelves all the time.
studawg66 is offline Find More Posts by studawg66
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:29 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jun 2009
85 Posts
I just finished my SkySurfer build at

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post17129333

Used many of the mods in this thread (detachable wings, etc.)
greennomad is offline Find More Posts by greennomad
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:10 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Ron,

From the start I used a 2200 30C just because I have several in stock. I have it positioned foward but NOT buried in the nose. I have also barrel wrapped the nose with tape to fix the problems caused by tip stalling when I experiment with adding LEDs to the wings. Therefore, the nose is heavier.

AJ runs it with a 1300 but he uses the stock brushless motor and the battery is stuffed into the nose. His is a version 1 which allows more forward placement in the nose. He also likes a aft CG. AJ will jump in and clarify.

Bill
All true.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:28 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
All true.
AJ
I don't like speaking for you out of fear I would misrepresent you.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:05 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
....Also $2.00 shipping here in the states and I get my orders in 2-3 days. I always look there first. I'm tired of waiting a month for HK orders and the ever increasing shipping charges.
Speaking of delays, a lot of you guys ordered from BEVRC and got the plane really fast. Their invoice says my Ver2 was shipped on the 30th of December but there is no way to track it and as of yet I haven't received it. (Granted today is a holiday so no mail!) Hobby King takes forever sometimes and I'm still waiting for one order placed on the 7th of December via Swiss Post. God only knows where that one is? I know Yuma is the end of the world but????

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:24 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgcag View Post
Speaking of delays, a lot of you guys ordered from BEVRC and got the plane really fast. Their invoice says my Ver2 was shipped on the 30th of December but there is no way to track it and as of yet I haven't received it. (Granted today is a holiday so no mail!) Hobby King takes forever sometimes and I'm still waiting for one order placed on the 7th of December via Swiss Post. God only knows where that one is? I know Yuma is the end of the world but????

Jack
Jack,

It probably didn't go out until the first of the year on January 3rd. It took about 2.5 weeks for mine to arrive.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:42 PM
San Jose,California
Joined Nov 2010
39 Posts
Having fun

filmed with an 808 keychain camera on a baseball cap.

flying close.wmv (3 min 11 sec)
Commander Crash is offline Find More Posts by Commander Crash
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:48 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Crash View Post
filmed with an 808 keychain camera on a baseball cap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiCDYo0Ev0w
CC,

Excellent video, I actually watched it to the end. I don't watch my OWN videos to the end.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:53 PM
United States, AK, McKinley Park
Joined Dec 2010
194 Posts
I'm just starting my build of the SkyS ARF/kit with the brushless upgrade that I ordered from BH on January 10 and it arrived today (17th) via UPS ground. The SkyS box came enclosed in another cardboard box. Everything was in excellent shape and nothing beat up at all...so it appears that BH has improved their packing method.

Just want to express my gratitude to all that have contributed to this thread. I've already found it helpful in deciding what to buy in preparation for my build and will no doubt find it helpful as I build!

I've been having a blast learning to fly on the Phoenix sim and the Nutball foamie (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836389). But I decided I'd like something bigger for AP (hence the SkyS). I have a Pentax Optio W60 point and shoot camera (~6 oz) that I'll mount once I get comfortable flying the SkyS. I want to mount the camera way forward on the nose so that none of it is in view. Anyone have any experience with such a far forward mount? I suppose I could query the AP and FPV threads when I get there too.
MtnSnowFlyer is online now Find More Posts by MtnSnowFlyer
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:57 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSnowFlyer View Post
I'm just starting my build of the SkyS ARF/kit with the brushless upgrade that I ordered from BH on January 10 and it arrived today (17th) via UPS ground. The SkyS box came enclosed in another cardboard box. Everything was in excellent shape and nothing beat up at all...so it appears that BH has improved their packing method.

Just want to express my gratitude to all that have contributed to this thread. I've already found it helpful in deciding what to buy in preparation for my build and will no doubt find it helpful as I build!

I've been having a blast learning to fly on the Phoenix sim and the Nutball foamie (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836389). But I decided I'd like something bigger for AP (hence the SkyS). I have a Pentax Optio W60 point and shoot camera (~6 oz) that I'll mount once I get comfortable flying the SkyS. I want to mount the camera way forward on the nose so that none of it is in view. Anyone have any experience with such a far forward mount? I suppose I could query the AP and FPV threads when I get there too.
Welcome to the club. BH always double boxed which is good. It's when they forget the wings you get aggravated. Nose mount is possible most certainly but it is the first thing to hit in nose in crash. It's an expensive shock absorber.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2011, 02:53 AM
United States, AK, McKinley Park
Joined Dec 2010
194 Posts
Quote:
Welcome to the club. BH always double boxed which is good. It's when they forget the wings you get aggravated. Nose mount is possible most certainly but it is the first thing to hit in nose in crash. It's an expensive shock absorber.
Good point Prof100, I plan on working up to the point of mounting the camera more forward. Master flying the plane stock first then with a camera mounted in the cockpit and then maybe.... But by then maybe I'll build a AP specific fuse/plane. In the meantime I can't wait to get this baby in the air! Yeah I'm glad BH didn't forget the wings!

I liked Commander Crash's video too! I think it had some crucial elements for a good rc flight video:
1) You could see the plane very well most of the time;
2) It was good piloting and showed the slow, fast, and aerobatic characteristics of the airplane; and
3) it was 3 minutes or less.
MtnSnowFlyer is online now Find More Posts by MtnSnowFlyer
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:19 AM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Jack,

It probably didn't go out until the first of the year on January 3rd. It took about 2.5 weeks for mine to arrive.

Bill
Thanks Bill. I've got my fingers crossed it will show up sometime?

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:29 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSnowFlyer View Post
Good point Prof100, I plan on working up to the point of mounting the camera more forward. Master flying the plane stock first then with a camera mounted in the cockpit and then maybe.... But by then maybe I'll build a AP specific fuse/plane. In the meantime I can't wait to get this baby in the air! Yeah I'm glad BH didn't forget the wings!

I liked Commander Crash's video too! I think it had some crucial elements for a good rc flight video:
1) You could see the plane very well most of the time;
2) It was good piloting and showed the slow, fast, and aerobatic characteristics of the airplane; and
3) it was 3 minutes or less.
Just a thought on keeping you pretty new gear intact should a mishap occur.

Regarding videos. I fly at RC club with giant scale planes and turbine jets. The pattern is pretty big so when I fly I have to fly that similar pattern or risk becoming foam packing material. The hat cam video becomes a "dot in the sky" video capture of my plane. I still need to learn to cut out ALL of those scenes. I bought a $40 video editor (Video Pad) that allows cropping and zooming in the dot that's the plane. The downside is the image is pixelated. It's better than a dot in the sky.
Bill
RCG Plus Member