KJ6RCJ
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Motor to run 2200mah 11.1 lipos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Ron,

From the start I used a 2200 30C just because I have several in stock. I have it positioned foward but NOT buried in the nose. I have also barrel wrapped the nose with tape to fix the problems caused by tip stalling when I experiment with adding LEDs to the wings. Therefore, the nose is heavier.

AJ runs it with a 1300 but he uses the stock brushless motor and the battery is stuffed into the nose. His is a version 1 which allows more forward placement in the nose. He also likes a aft CG. AJ will jump in and clarify.

Bill
Hi Prof,

i have been reading the posts here since getting the V1 from AJ. I have not assembled it yet as academic classes stand in the way. However, I intimated to AJ that I will use the Skysurfer for GoPro AP. Can you recommend a motor to use with 2200Mah lipos (I have several here)? i got the stock brushless motor from AJ which will be used for its maiden and shakedown flights. But for the AP, I'm wondering if you could recommend a Turnigy equivalent of the HeadsupRC motor you got. TIA.

For the GoPro mount, I may wanna fashion my own out of plywood since mounts and pods out there are beyond my pocket so far.

Gent
gent96 is offline Find More Posts by gent96
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gent96 View Post
Hi Prof,

i have been reading the posts here since getting the V1 from AJ. I have not assembled it yet as academic classes stand in the way. However, I intimated to AJ that I will use the Skysurfer for GoPro AP. Can you recommend a motor to use with 2200Mah lipos (I have several here)? i got the stock brushless motor from AJ which will be used for its maiden and shakedown flights. But for the AP, I'm wondering if you could recommend a Turnigy equivalent of the HeadsupRC motor you got. TIA.

For the GoPro mount, I may wanna fashion my own out of plywood since mounts and pods out there are beyond my pocket so far.

Gent
That would be this.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5203

Why not use the HeadsUp motor?

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...s-Motor/Detail
2500GENE is online now Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:43 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Hi Prof,

Gent
Hi Gent,

Here is the equivalent motor at Hobbyking.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5203

Use a 6x4 APC E or buy a Hobbyking equivalent size electric prop which are cheaper. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7936

Also, buy a collet that fits the motor shaft -- 3.2 mm or 1/8" collet. The stock one is pretty worthless.

For an ESC buy a switchmode BEC 30 to 40 amp esc. Or disconnect the ESC's BEC and use a separate UBEC.

EDIT: Like Gene said, why don't you just buy it from HeadsupRC? That's the motor I use in mine. It's only a few dollars more and after mondo expensive HK shipping the HeadsupRC shipping make is about the same.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 16, 2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Gene,

I type too slow. Thanks for answering.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:47 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Gene,

I type too slow. Thanks for answering.
Didn't know you were on. Sorry to jump you.

Besides, I just changed my name to pRoF100 so I thought he was asking me.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:50 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I honestly don't see a reason to use ubec when you only have 4 servos in that plane.. even for 4 digitals a 3A bec is enough
no need for a 40amp either. 30 is well enough
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:54 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Didn't know you were on. Sorry to jump you.

Besides, I just changed my name to pRoF100 so I thought he was asking me.
I really want to be you, should we just swap screen names for a week or too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:54 PM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Thanks for the answers, Gene and Prof. I am also thinking about the HeadsupRC motor. Costumer service rates high in my book and HeadsupRC is not short of that.

Gent
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:59 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I honestly don't see a reason to use ubec when you only have 4 servos in that plane.. even for 4 digitals a 3A bec is enough
no need for a 40amp either. 30 is well enough
Pavcon,

I believe he's going to run FPV which will start piling on the servos. True, a 30 amp is fine but some ESCs are rated 30-40, 40-50, etc. Besides, every few months lipos keep getting better with their ability to deliver current. I would rather have him buy an ESC with sufficient headroom then not.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:03 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the answers, Gene and Prof. I am also thinking about the HeadsupRC motor. Costumer service rates high in my book and HeadsupRC is not short of that.

Gent
Gent,

Best part of HeadsupRc is Jeff, the owner, will take questions about what he sells and resolve any problems you may have promptly.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:18 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
I really want to be you, should we just swap screen names for a week or too.
Boy, imagine the trouble I could get you into...

Quote:

Gent
Quote:
Gent,

Best part of HeadsupRc is Jeff, the owner, will take questions about what he sells and resolve any problems you may have promptly.

Bill
Also $2.00 shipping here in the states and I get my orders in 2-3 days. I always look there first. I'm tired of waiting a month for HK orders and the ever increasing shipping charges.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:28 PM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Yes, yes. Thanks for the input, guys. Your (and AJ's, of course, the Guru) collective wisdom here on Skysurfer stuff helps not just me but others as well. Thanks again and have a great day.

G
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:33 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,562 Posts
Quote:
Yes, yes. Thanks for the input, guys. Your (and AJ's, of course, the Guru) collective wisdom here on Skysurfer stuff helps not just me but others as well. Thanks again and have a great day.

G
G,

You are welcome. AJ is on RCgroups, he's just letting us go for while. As thread boss he's done a great job.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:34 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:

G
Our motto here is if we can't dazzle you with our brilliance we will baffle you with our BS.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:02 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Pavcon,

I believe he's going to run FPV which will start piling on the servos. True, a 30 amp is fine but some ESCs are rated 30-40, 40-50, etc. Besides, every few months lipos keep getting better with their ability to deliver current. I would rather have him buy an ESC with sufficient headroom then not.

Bill
agree at a point.. but that motor with a 6x4E draws 17amps. so I guestimate that a 6x6 or a 7x4 or 5 will still be fine

if hes' running FPV then yes you are right external ubec should be the one to use.. unless he's using a separate power source
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon