Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:28 AM
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Do you have a local source for birch dowels? If so, see if you can find one that fits and use it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OU:US:1123

I'm going to replace the CF with the wood until I can find solid CF with decent shipping costs. I just can't justify paying more for the shipping than the CF rod.
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:08 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Spar reinforcement.

Quote:
Do you have a local source for birch dowels? If so, see if you can find one that fits and use it.
Thanks. I agree the CF shipping is too expensive. I will try to get a birch dowel and go from there. Next time I will look at the I.D. of the spar by inserting a drill bit before ordering blindly. I didn't think of the drill bit measuring option. Duh. Apparently the spar specs do vary between vendors or batches. Sounds like their QA or QC could improve.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:17 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
Thanks. I agree the CF shipping is too expensive. I will try to get a birch dowel and go from there. Next time I will look at the I.D. of the spar by inserting a drill bit before ordering blindly. I didn't think of the drill bit measuring option. Duh. Apparently the spar specs do vary between vendors or batches. Sounds like their QA or QC could improve.
ID or wall thickness is not controlled based on your sample and mine.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:45 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldf View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:L:OU:US:1123

I'm going to replace the CF with the wood until I can find solid CF with decent shipping costs. I just can't justify paying more for the shipping than the CF rod.
Go to your local Wally Mart store...buy an CF arrow...about 3-4 dollars....
Brner is online now Find More Posts by Brner
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:59 PM
Joined Apr 2010
61 Posts
Weight With Reenforcements

I already have carbon fiber rods embedded in my Sky Surfer wings and this week I added 3mm rods to top of fuselage from wing to tail and on the bottom from forward cooling hole to aft tail prominence. Also added short (10") rods on each side under cockpit and first half of wing. Very sturdy and stiff now. Weight went up from 22 to 23 oz.

(To make up for the increased weight, I increased the plane's general efficiency by putting the prop on correctly! Thanks.)

Clay
clayfeld is offline Find More Posts by clayfeld
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:36 PM
Oakhurst, CA
Joined May 2006
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brner View Post
Go to your local Wally Mart store...buy an CF arrow...about 3-4 dollars....
Thanks for the tip.
ronaldf is offline Find More Posts by ronaldf
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:47 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldf View Post
Thanks for the tip.
I just looked up arrows at Walmart and the prices for four were over $100. Most were around $130. I found no $4 arrows of any sort. I suspect the arrows are fiberglass, not CF. Arrows are over 6 mm as well and suspect more like 8 mm or more. Larger arrows or CF would require opening up the foam to accept it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:44 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
Quote:
I just looked up arrows at Walmart and the prices for four were over $100. Most were around $130. I found no $4 arrows of any sort. I suspect the arrows are fiberglass, not CF. Arrows are over 6 mm as well and suspect more like 8 mm or more. Larger arrows or CF would require opening up the foam to accept it.
You must shop at a different Walmart than I do Prof. I just bought four of them for $4/each (or close to that)....
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:21 AM
i Like RC
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
Motor Mod

I got my SS for Xmas and want to upgrade the stock 2620KV brushless motor. I have heard that the brushless RCTimer 2200KV #2826-6 or #2212-6 both make good upgrades. RCTimer seems to have the same specs listed for both motors. Any suggestions which one is better for the SS? I don't want to turn it into a jet but I would like something with a bit of oomph.

I don't understand why the brushless 2200KV with 6x4E prop would be an upgrade to the stock brushless 2620KV and 5x8 Excellent prop.
Here is my understanding (or misunderstanding) of the science...

(1) The stock 2620KV spins faster than the 2200KV.
(2) The stock 5x8 prop makes the plane travel about twice as far per revolution as the 6x4 prop.

So how does getting a lower KV motor and a prop that must spin twice as much to make the plane travel the same distance improve the plane's performance? Can someone help me understand this before I go buying a motor that turns my SS from a seagull into a chicken? I am using a 3S 1800 maH Lipo battery.

I also want to mount the new motor in such a way so I don't have to open the fuselage everytime I want to chang the motor. Anyone have any pics showing how they have mounted the motor?
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:29 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brner View Post
You must shop at a different Walmart than I do Prof. I just bought four of them for $4/each (or close to that)....
I just checked Walmart on line. No store visits.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:39 AM
Alabama
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
I just checked Walmart on line. No store visits.
The ones you saw there is actually for a dozen (like $175, right?). Those are some super high quality type and not what you would want to buy, but I'm not sure they have the cheaper ones online. If you go to a store this time of year, actually a bit earlier than this time of year, you will find several boxes of carbon and aluminum and some fiberglass arrow shafts that you can buy individually for less than $5 each. But they are often a seasonal offering only. But go to any sporting goods store and you can probably buy the same thing year round. If you have a friend who bow hunts he may even give you one.

I think the diameters of carbon fiber arrows range from about 6-8mm, so you are right that there may be some reaming involved to get a larger one to fit.
studawg66 is offline Find More Posts by studawg66
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:34 AM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
Yep....got mine from a local store visit. Checked the online ads and the ones advertised are super high quality type (very expensive) as Stud says above. When I bought mine they had a box full of mixed type and I had to pick through a few, but they are cheap and well worth the trip. Remove the tip and the fletching and you have a nice re-inforcement tube. I'll check the OD, ID and length later and post back here.....
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:24 PM
Just Me
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Apr 2006
813 Posts
OK....here's the spec's on the arrow shafts I bought.

ID = 5.6mm
OD = 7.3mm (prox. .28")
Length ~ 30"

These measurements were taken with my handy dandy HF digital caliper so I do not testify to the extreme accuracy of same. Your results may vary. However, for the purposes of this thread, they are plenty close enough. Additionally, if you break one of these during flight, you're flying too dang fast and/or too reckless....lol

As noted above, I do believe that these shafts are seasonally available, so would suggest that if you find them available, pick up a years supply.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:31 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,457 Posts
How many people have reported their wings snapping? There seems to be an awful lot of concern from everyone about this happening.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:44 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
How many people have reported their wings snapping? There seems to be an awful lot of concern from everyone about this happening.
I have not but mine was reinforced from the start but when a elevator servo pot went crazy and the elevator went up in down by itself the wings flapped up and down like a seagull . Without the reinforcement the stock spar would have snapped. The up down deflection was about a foot at the wingtips.

As AJ mentioned in the beginning of this thread the reinforcement is mandatory if you plan on flying aerobatic maneuvers. If you don't then you should be OK unless you have a hard landing and whack the wing and break the spar.
RCG Plus Member