Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:22 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Sky Surfer Jet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Yes, I have fixed my post. I was too busy watching the football game.
Jets just scored - GO JETS!!!
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2011, 10:39 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Well I am now about 10 FPV flights deep with my Sky Surfer, I am finally getting the hang of it.

Take off and land through the goggles now. I upgraded my antennas to an Inverted Vee on the rudder and a patch antenna on the ground.

She is friggin sweet!

I added a 3mm CF spar underneath, replaced the stock control horns with Dubro, CF strapping tape under the wings and painted the bottom of the wings to make her more visible. I tried an APC 6x4 prop but I did not like it, the motor and the ESC came down really hot.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:21 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Prop orientation

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
Well I am now about 10 FPV flights deep with my Sky Surfer, I am finally getting the hang of it.

Take off and land through the goggles now. I upgraded my antennas to an Inverted Vee on the rudder and a patch antenna on the ground.

She is friggin sweet!

I added a 3mm CF spar underneath, replaced the stock control horns with Dubro, CF strapping tape under the wings and painted the bottom of the wings to make her more visible. I tried an APC 6x4 prop but I did not like it, the motor and the ESC came down really hot.
The third picture looks like the prop is on backwards maybe???? I reserve the right to be wrong, though.
Is that FPV gear from HK? How do you like it? What goggles are you using?
AJ
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:41 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
The prop is on correct, at least I think it is since I flew her twice today after taking off the APC 6x4. The 900 mhz FPV TX and RX I bought off a member from RCgroups but it's from ReadymadeRC.

http://readymaderc.com/store/index.p...products_id=49
http://readymaderc.com/store/index.p...products_id=48

I am using the Dell Headplay goggles, picked them up for $149 and they are awesome!

There were like 50 vultures up in the sky today and I had fun chasing them around, it was like FPV dog fighting.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:46 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
The prop is on correct, at least I think it is since I flew her twice today after taking off the APC 6x4. The 900 mhz FPV TX and RX I bought off a member from RCgroups but it's from ReadymadeRC.

I am using the Dell Headplay goggles, picked them up for $149 and they are awesome!

There were like 50 vultures up in the sky today and I had fun chasing them around, it was like FPV dog fighting.
Do you have any video to share. It sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks for the info. Quite a few folks speak highly of the Dell goggles. It seems getting them is a bit of a challange. Have you tried the HK goggles? or Anyone??
AJ
Old Jan 08, 2011, 11:50 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:

airbagit,

Show us your videos and show us your FPV setup.

Thanks,

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:21 AM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Yeah the Dell goggles are going in and out of stock very quickly, I think they are liquidating the last of their inventory. Havent tried the HK goggles but I think the resolution is a little low.

I don't have any way to record my videos yet, I want to get some sort of DVR set up so I can. At the moment I just have the 900 mhz TX and RX, I upgraded my stock antennas to an Inverted Vee Antenna from IBcrazy here on RCgroups on my video TX and a patch antenna on the RX on my ground station. I should be able to cruise pretty far with this set up. So far I have only gone about a mile away but I can go much further I am sure.

I will take some pics of my ground station tomorrow in the morning when I fly.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:24 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Yeah the Dell goggles are going in and out of stock very quickly, I think they are liquidating the last of their inventory. Havent tried the HK goggles but I think the resolution is a little low.

I don't have any way to record my videos yet, I want to get some sort of DVR set up so I can. At the moment I just have the 900 mhz TX and RX, I upgraded my stock antennas to an Inverted Vee Antenna from IBcrazy here on RCgroups on my video TX and a patch antenna on the RX on my ground station. I should be able to cruise pretty far with this set up. So far I have only gone about a mile away but I can go much further I am sure.

I will take some pics of my ground station tomorrow in the morning when I fly.
I look forward to see the photos. Did you modify the Headplay googles?
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:40 AM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Nope, they worked great stock. Didn't have to strengthen the Goggles to Liberator connection like some people say is necessary, no need for a sun shade either, even in the bright Miami sun I still get clear picture.

Some people have to mod them to run off a 3s battery but I have a 12v plug outlet in my Jeep so I just use the stock wall connection, I will probably pick up the battery for it from dell but it's $60. Would sure make my life a bit easier though, portability always helps.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:41 AM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezeaire View Post
Ok so I had to buy this plane while ordering a heli for son, did not read all the stuff here, think that would take a year or more.
Mine did not come with manual so I "winged it". Some how I got bind to work. Found servo for elevator not attached that was fun trying to fix.

So my first and subsequent flights all just nose dive, could this be from washers? When I hold plane and throttle up its feels like it wants to go nose down. The motor shaft looked bent out of box, this is brushless version. It is only slightly out of round. The prop nut does not stay on, do I glue it, loctite?

If I had a manual would it show how to setup the elevator for normal take off, how much should it travel upwards? thanks for any help.
Before take off, check that the elevator moves up and down freely. Check that it moves down when the right stick goes up and it moves up when the right stick goes down. If it's opposite of this, you need to reverse the elevator channel.

Check that the push rod for the elevator is not slipping. If the screw is not tightened at the control horn or if the control rod is flexing, your elevator will be ineffective.

The elevator should be centered initially during a take off, but you need to move your right stick down some to help the plane pitch upward.

The plane should fly with the washers in the nose. Most of the time your problem occurs because it does not have the correct center of gravity. Use the techniques previously mentioned to check it. It should be 68 to 72 mm from the leading edge of the wing. So if you are nose diving, your CoG may be too far forward and you need it moved towards the back of the plane. So how do you move it back? Move your battery toward the back of the plane. Also, make sure your battery isn't moving around. If it's sliding forward, this could cause a nose dive.

Make sure your prop is on correctly. If you look closely on the prop, you will notice that one side of the prop is slightly convex and the other one is slightly concave. The convex side should be facing the front of the plane.

mike_m2 is offline Find More Posts by mike_m2
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:11 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Prop orientation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_m2 View Post

Make sure your prop is on correctly. If you look closely on the prop, you will notice that one side of the prop is slightly convex and the other one is slightly concave. The convex side should be facing the front of the plane.
Here is the graphic that we use on other threads. Two is better than one.
AJ
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:17 AM
Thrust/Drag/Lift/Weight
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Jan 2011
24 Posts
SkyS flys in Simi Valley, CA.

Just getting back into RC flying after many years. RTF, Electric, LiPo and 2.4Ghz spectrum gave this hobby new life (at least for me), oh and $130 for everything to get back in is just the right price for me.

Been flying this SkyS for about a month, last time prior to this flight I tried inverted and nosed in the ground, broke horizontal stab, tail fin, and a pushed in nose. All repaired now and ready.

Wife got a new video camera for xmas and wanted to post her 1st YouTube video, so here it is! Please view so my wife will be encouraged. This is raw video and un-edited for now.

Intro:
Robert prepares to fly (0 min 41 sec)

Flying:
Robert flies his airplane 1-8-11 (9 min 49 sec)
N4JC is offline Find More Posts by N4JC
Last edited by N4JC; Jan 09, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:23 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4JC View Post
Just getting back into RC flying after many years. RTF, Electric, LiPo and 2.4Ghz spectrum gave this hobby new life (at least for me), oh and $130 for everything to get back in is just the right price for me.

Been flying this SkyS for about a month, last time prior to this flight I tried inverted and noised in the ground, broke horizonal stab, tail fin, and a pushed in nose. All repaired now and ready.

Wife got a new video camera for xmas and wanted to post her 1st YouTube video, so here it is! Please view so my wife will be encouraged. This is raw video and un-edited for now.

Intro:
Nice flight.
Tell your wife she did a fine job and can film for me anyday.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:02 PM
Joined Apr 2010
61 Posts
Should a pusher prop's convexity be facing forward also?
clayfeld is offline Find More Posts by clayfeld
Old Jan 09, 2011, 12:15 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfeld View Post
Should a pusher prop's convexity be facing forward also?
Yes. All props front or pusher.

Only difference is the motor rotation.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE