HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2011, 01:23 PM
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Ok so I had to buy this plane while ordering a heli for son, did not read all the stuff here, think that would take a year or more.
Mine did not come with manual so I "winged it". Some how I got bind to work. Found servo for elevator not attached that was fun trying to fix.

So my first and subsequent flights all just nose dive, could this be from washers? When I hold plane and throttle up its feels like it wants to go nose down. The motor shaft looked bent out of box, this is brushless version. It is only slightly out of round. The prop nut does not stay on, do I glue it, loctite?

If I had a manual would it show how to setup the elevator for normal take off, how much should it travel upwards? thanks for any help.
Breezeaire is offline Find More Posts by Breezeaire
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:25 PM
Joined Apr 2010
61 Posts
...Just Another Beginner...

After reducing a ParkZone Piper Cub to pieces, having a Firebird Commander escape from captivity altogether and slowly pounding a Mountain Models Magpie into several sections, I finally flew- up, around and down- successfully with my stock, brushed motor Sky Surfer. Happy Camper!

Now about six sessions out, I've read most of the posts here and have enlarged the rudder, put in "real" hinges on the elevator and rudder, used reeforced tape on the wing and empenage leading edges, replaced a bad servo, put carbon rod stiffners on the wing surfaces, changed to a 6x4 pusher prop, removed the brushed motor and replaced it with a Grayson Hobby V2, taken out the washers (they are needed to balance the plane on the proper CG with the brushed motor) and cushioned the nose with self-adhesive foam window sealing strips after fiberglassing it. I still have to put carbon fiber tubes on the top and bottom of the fuselage and put a fiberlass corset just beneath the cockpit and around the the mid-length of the fuselage.

Getting expensive, but the darn thing flies and survives. What more can a beginner ask?

Clay
clayfeld is online now Find More Posts by clayfeld
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:33 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
grason Hobby supersonic V2 hugh should I do the same//?? got one lying around.. but ... ok not till my 3 2200mah packs arrive... I can't stand 10 minute flights on this one because that's how much I'm gonna get if I put a grason in there..
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:34 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfeld View Post
After reducing a ParkZone Piper Cub to pieces, having a Firebird Commander escape from captivity altogether and slowly pounding a Mountain Models Magpie into several sections, I finally flew- up, around and down- successfully with my stock, brushed motor Sky Surfer. Happy Camper!

Now about six sessions out, I've read most of the posts here and have enlarged the rudder, put in "real" hinges on the elevator and rudder, used reeforced tape on the wing and empenage leading edges, replaced a bad servo, put carbon rod stiffners on the wing surfaces, changed to a 6x4 pusher prop, removed the brushed motor and replaced it with a Grayson Hobby V2, taken out the washers (they are needed to balance the plane on the proper CG with the brushed motor) and cushioned the nose with self-adhesive foam window sealing strips after fiberglassing it. I still have to put carbon fiber tubes on the top and bottom of the fuselage and put a fiberlass corset just beneath the cockpit and around the the mid-length of the fuselage.

Getting expensive, but the darn thing flies and survives. What more can a beginner ask?

Clay
aj's cell phone number?

Welcome clay.
What does the plane weigh now with all that glass?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:47 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
aj's cell phone number?

Welcome clay.
What does the plane weigh now with all that glass?
the weight doesn't matter.. that Supersonic motor on 6x4 will give hime endless vertical witha 6x6 prop you can lose it in the stratosphere :P
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:27 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
the weight doesn't matter.. that Supersonic motor on 6x4 will give hime endless vertical witha 6x6 prop you can lose it in the stratosphere :P
For longer flights, glide time or carrying some extra weight for FPV, weight does matter. Increase the wing loading too much and it's no longer a powered glider.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:50 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
For longer flights, glide time or carrying some extra weight for FPV, weight does matter. Increase the wing loading too much and it's no longer a powered glider.
Gene,

Agreed. I experienced firist by adding lights, flaps, etc., until the nimble Skysurfer turned into a 32 oz. porker.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2011, 04:44 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Model types

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
Yes. But, this is a powered glider and IMO, not really intended to fly FAST. When I feel the "need-for-speed", I have my Stryker for that. It goes WOT as fast as I can fly it and begs for more power and speed. I plan on using a 55mm motor and a 6S LiPo for my next speed runs. It is darn hard (for me) to get it over 150+ mph. The game for the SkyS IMO is get longer flight times. I don't know a great deal about the aerodynamics. So, I sort of stick to simple ideas for me like jets are for going fast, gliders are for flying longer, pattern planes are for that, and Scale planes ...... etc. I feel like I would need a degree in aerodynamics to mix and match all of those. But, it is fun to follow along with guys like you that do something different. Keep 'em flying high.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 08, 2011, 06:31 PM
Joined Apr 2010
61 Posts
Haven't put the last "corsets" or fuselage carbon tubes in yet, but it weights 22 oz all up right now. It will gain two or three ounces, no doubt, but it still has way to much power for me as a pretty basic beginner. I have to launch at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle or she zips right up into a stall; I'm getting pretty good at recovery!

Clay
Old Jan 08, 2011, 06:34 PM
Joined Apr 2010
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfeld View Post
Haven't put the last "corsets" or fuselage carbon tubes in yet, but it weights 22 oz all up right now. It will gain two or three ounces, no doubt, but it still has way to much power for me as a pretty basic beginner. I have to launch at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle or she zips right up into a stall; I'm getting pretty good at recovery!

Clay
PS: I only fiberglassed the nose, not any more than that.

Clay
Old Jan 08, 2011, 06:57 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
285 Posts
prof100

What did you use to glue the CF rod to the rear bottom of the fuse? I want to try to keep the fuse able to separate if necessary. I think it was Gene (or you) who is a big advocate of Goop for the fuse so it will separate and thats what I used, but I don't want to CA it in if I can help it.

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:01 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
What did you use to glue the CF rod to the rear bottom of the fuse? I want to try to keep the fuse able to separate if necessary. I think it was Gene (or you) who is a big advocate of Goop for the fuse so it will separate and thats what I used, but I don't want to CA it in if I can help it.

Ron
Hi Ron,

On a Skysurfer 1 with the servo control rods on the outside you can use CA on the bottom with the CF tube reinforcement tube because you can still part the motor area to remove and replace the motor. If it is a Skysurfer 2 (inboard servos) then use the goop because you may need access to the inside of the fuselage.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 08, 2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:10 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Hi Ron,

On a Skysurfer 1 with the servos on the outside you can use CA on the bottom with the CF tube reinforcement tube because you can still part the motor area to remove and replace the motor. If it is a Skysurfer 2 (inboard servos) then use the goop because you may need access to the inside of the fuselage.

Bill
Ok Bill, I have v1 and I think you meant to say "control rods on the outside". So I WILL CA the CF to the fuse. Many thanks

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:15 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Ok Bill, I have v1 and I think you meant to say "control rods on the outside". So I WILL CA the CF to the fuse. Many thanks

Ron
I believe the V2 has the servos inside also.
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:21 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,572 Posts
Quote:

Ron
Yes, I have fixed my post. I was too busy watching the football game.
RCG Plus Member