HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:23 AM
Registered User
D0Z3R's Avatar
Columbus, GA
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
So can the stock ESC handle the 6x4 prop?
D0Z3R is offline Find More Posts by D0Z3R
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2011, 11:49 AM
Registered User
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0Z3R View Post
So can the stock ESC handle the 6x4 prop?
My SkyS stock brushless v2 draws about 14.4A on 3S with the TGS 6x4E prop. I do not have the stock ESC. I use a Turnigy 18A ESC and a Turnigy 3A BEC to power my electronics.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 07:03 PM
Registered User
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2011
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
AJ

I think I figured a way to remove the washers without cutting into the fuse.
Run a wire or string around the washers through the cockpit. Mix up a batch of foam soup (heat up a big pot of water).
Pour some hot water into the nose of the plane while keeping a constant pull on the washers.
As soon as the hot glue melts the washers will come right out.
The hot water doesn't harm the foam much. a little bubbling of the the foam on the inside won't be noticed.
I found out the glue melts when I was doing a little nose massage trying to stretch it back out

Jim
Thank you for this tip, I had no idea hot glue melted so fast.
Breezeaire is offline Find More Posts by Breezeaire
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 08:28 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezeaire View Post
Thank you for this tip, I had no idea hot glue melted so fast.

I didn't either until I had to use some hot water in an effort to fix my nose after a crash.

Happy flights, Jim
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:08 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
I didn't either until I had to use some hot water in an effort to fix my nose after a crash.

Happy flights, Jim
Be careful with doing that. You don't want to wind up like this.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 09:58 PM
i Like RC
Weekend Flyer's Avatar
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
167 Posts
Motor mount on SkyS

Thanks everyone for tips on separating and re-glueing the two fuselage halves on my SS. For those of you who have replaced the stock motor, how the heck do you get it off without busting the foam to shreds? There is a lot of glue holding the motor and I can't see it coming off even with a heat gun.
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:10 PM
i Like RC
Weekend Flyer's Avatar
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
167 Posts
Binding Process Videos - Stock SkyS TX/RX

I found this YouTube site with videos from Banana Hobby showing how to bind all of their TX/RX models. My SkyS came with the MC4DF which is included in the MC6DF video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bHDprodu.../2/jHhO0Obt2Bs
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:41 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
15,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Flyer View Post
Thanks everyone for tips on separating and re-glueing the two fuselage halves on my SS. For those of you who have replaced the stock motor, how the heck do you get it off without busting the foam to shreds? There is a lot of glue holding the motor and I can't see it coming off even with a heat gun.
I found a garden variety non-serrated kitchen knife works well to both separate the fueselage halves and to work around the foam that surrounds the motor. Like the one on the right:
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 07, 2011 at 10:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2011, 11:59 PM
i Like RC
Weekend Flyer's Avatar
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
167 Posts
Well, I'll try it but it will be like trying to break a brick with a toothpick. Now which end of the knife do I use? Maybe I should just try flying frisbees like the the one shown in the middle.
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:09 AM
i Like RC
Weekend Flyer's Avatar
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
167 Posts
Oh Crap !
http://s3.hubimg.com/u/605774_f520.jpg
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Last edited by Weekend Flyer; Jan 08, 2011 at 12:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2011, 12:57 AM
Thrust/Drag/Lift/Weight
N4JC's Avatar
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Jan 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Flyer View Post
I found this YouTube site with videos from Banana Hobby showing how to bind all of their TX/RX models. My SkyS came with the MC4DF which is included in the MC6DF video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bHDprodu.../2/jHhO0Obt2Bs
This was perfect, thanks for posting this. There were no instructions on how to do this with the SkyS.
N4JC is offline Find More Posts by N4JC
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2011, 01:24 AM
Thrust/Drag/Lift/Weight
N4JC's Avatar
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Jan 2011
24 Posts
Tx battery life

My SkyS came with the MC4DF transmiter. It didn't come with manual on the transmiter operations.

What is the expected operating battery life using Alkaline batteries? Is there any low battery warning on the transmitter? Will the green LED blink or turn to different color when battery is low? Don't want to have Tx stop working while in flight!

Still running on my 1st set of batteries, got about 4 hours total flight time on it, and battery is in the middle of "Good" from a battery meter.

Also, what is that external socket on the right side? Power plug? or charger when using rechargable batteries?
N4JC is offline Find More Posts by N4JC
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2011, 01:29 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
i think green light turns oange to red.... But i would n't risk an orange light if i wedre u
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2011, 07:59 AM
Registered User
Alabama
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studawg66 View Post
This just in from BH support:

"Sorry, for the late response. I do not work weekend so I have to process your order when I get in the office. We have file damage claim to UPS already. Please allow 2-3 business day for us to process your order."

Makes me wonder if there are some BH support staff still lurking here. The email came just a few minutes after my last post. Maybe just coincidence.

Still not sure how to interpret the email though. I'm hoping they mean to allow 2-3 business days for them to ship my replacement. I hope they do NOT mean to wait 2-3 more days for a verdict. We'll see.
Wow, it has been a long time since I updated my progress on this order, but that is because it has been a long time getting it resolved...and counting!

I am finally ready to build this plane after ordering it on 10/30. If you recall, I ordered on 10/30 and received in just a few days but the outer box had a size 12 boot print on it. Inside, I found one wing and the fuse creased bad enough that I contacted BH to resolve it. The fun began. After a couple of weeks of frustration I finally got a commitment to get a replacement wing and fuse shipped and they arrived in late November. When I opened the box, there was only a wing in there So back to the stellar customer support we go. Finally, yesterday (1/7/2011) I received the replacemet fuse, undamaged, but this is where it gets just comical. The fuse is in perfect shape and I will use it, but check out these interesting facts:
1. They sent me a V2 fuse - no complaints there
2. The cockpit is missing the clear canopy
3. The fuse is missing stickers
4. The internal channels do not have the the metal pushrods in them. Hopefully the ones from my broken fuse (with external channels) can be used here. Otherwise, I'll have to find some wire at the LHS.

#2 and #3 are just really annoying, and I can resolve #4 much quicker than involving BH support. I am just going to go ahead and put the thing together because I've been dying to build this plane, but I plan on contacting BH one more time and see if they can send me the little parts for #2 and #3. Very strange. I don't plan on making any more purchases from these guys any time soon, which is unfortunate because they have some pretty cool offerings.
studawg66 is offline Find More Posts by studawg66
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2011, 09:33 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Stellar Customer Support - NOT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by studawg66 View Post
Wow, it has been a long time since I updated my progress on this order, but that is because it has been a long time getting it resolved...and counting!

I am finally ready to build this plane after ordering it on 10/30. If you recall, I ordered on 10/30 and received in just a few days but the outer box had a size 12 boot print on it. Inside, I found one wing and the fuse creased bad enough that I contacted BH to resolve it. The fun began. After a couple of weeks of frustration I finally got a commitment to get a replacement wing and fuse shipped and they arrived in late November. When I opened the box, there was only a wing in there So back to the stellar customer support we go. Finally, yesterday (1/7/2011) I received the replacemet fuse, undamaged, but this is where it gets just comical. The fuse is in perfect shape and I will use it, but check out these interesting facts:
1. They sent me a V2 fuse - no complaints there
2. The cockpit is missing the clear canopy
3. The fuse is missing stickers
4. The internal channels do not have the the metal pushrods in them. Hopefully the ones from my broken fuse (with external channels) can be used here. Otherwise, I'll have to find some wire at the LHS.

#2 and #3 are just really annoying, and I can resolve #4 much quicker than involving BH support. I am just going to go ahead and put the thing together because I've been dying to build this plane, but I plan on contacting BH one more time and see if they can send me the little parts for #2 and #3. Very strange. I don't plan on making any more purchases from these guys any time soon, which is unfortunate because they have some pretty cool offerings.
And, you got the good service. Good service from them is ANY service that requires more than lip service and will be completed several times wrong with wrong parts. And all this is completed within a year. Anything better than that is stellar service. Oh, No. the pushrods won't work without some bending. I would hassle them for the correct fuse or at least a free package of decals 7.90 or the correct fuselage with the correct pushrods and canopy. I guarantee you that they will send you the decals. With the great luck you are having, you should be flying easily by March (of 2012) They so totally suck that I refuse to buy anything from them. I sold my ARF SkyS to a gentleman on this thread. I still have an ARF but I have to use an EZ* wing on it because they were out of stock when I ordered a foam parts set. I will use it for parts if I have to. Meanwhile, stepping off the soap box. Yes. I completely agree. They deal in some really high quality and fantastic looking planes. It seems nowadays, if you order a whole plane and don't get any damages, the transaction generally goes smoothly. If you have ANY problems at all, it is easier to get a hemorrhoid pulled out the wrong end than it is to get and service from them. Good luck (I mean it) with your getting the right parts from them. You are persistent. I admire that a lot. My bet is that you will eventually win this one if they don't wear you out first.
AJ
P.S. Of course, this is the first time I have ever seen this-> BEVRC - (getting it from China)-70.50 to my doorstep. BH - (getting it from the USA)-64.21. It is CHEAPER to buy it in the USA???!!!!??? That is a first for me. Of course, it had to be BH, too.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 08, 2011 at 10:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 02:14 AM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 02:36 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 56 Nov 02, 2010 02:49 AM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 01:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 05:28 PM