HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:47 AM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I'd go with what aj recommends on the first page.

The ideal CG for this plane is 72mm from LE. For raw beginners, 68mm is the minimum recommended.
I have a SkyS V1 and the CG that works for me is less than 68mm, probably closer to 60mm. I've tried the minimum 68mm, but the plane becomes tail heavy, always pointing nose up, at 68mm. I've tried trimming the elevator down, but it's not enough. My preference would be to use 68 - 72mm, I just can't get there, so I just use what keeps the plane level.
mike_m2 is offline Find More Posts by mike_m2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:38 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_m2 View Post
I have a SkyS V1 and the CG that works for me is less than 68mm, probably closer to 60mm. I've tried the minimum 68mm, but the plane becomes tail heavy, always pointing nose up, at 68mm. I've tried trimming the elevator down, but it's not enough. My preference would be to use 68 - 72mm, I just can't get there, so I just use what keeps the plane level.
The important part is you found a spot where your plane flys well.

What is it you are looking at when you balance the plane?

Here's a post from a friend of mine that covers COG very well.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...59&postcount=1
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 04, 2011, 04:37 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannc View Post
I agree it could have been cheaper. But I have always flown ailerons and it's why I never considered the Easy star. And I believe it's a brushed Easy star where you get a brushless with the SS
By the way, if you consider doing video, I strongly recommend the Traveler DV5000 that you can find in all Aldi stores. Stripped down it's very light and you get a very good 720p video for not much £.
That looks the Jazz 178 they sold here in the states. Takes great video but the file format is unusual and can be a headache to edit. The raw file has all the vid instructions at the beginning of the file and that can't be messed with so if you break it into clips only the first one will be viewable.
A work around is to convert the file into another format before editing but I haven't found any converter that doesn't degrade video yet.

Another option for inflight video is the new HD key cam. It's about 40 bucks on ebay and weighs almost nothing.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:21 PM
Joined Jul 2008
187 Posts
Actually there is an easy way, no conversion needed. Use Virtuadub to edit the video (direct stream copy) but always keep the first frame. Anything can be done if the first frame is kept.

How does this key cam compare to the jazz?
yannc is offline Find More Posts by yannc
Last edited by yannc; Jan 04, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:34 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannc View Post
Actually there is an easy way, no conversion needed. Use Virtuadub to edit the video (direct stream copy) but always keep the first frame. Anything can be done if the first frame is kept.

How does this key cam compare to the jazz?
Here is one video from the HD keycam in native format followed by the another with individual captured scenes from the first video. Make sure you go to YOUTUBE and view in 720P.

Native video (.MOV)
Backyard sunny.MOV (0 min 54 sec)

Screen captures in AVI format
backyard sunny HD key cam selected clips.avi (0 min 25 sec)
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:02 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Are people replacing their control horns because they are sloppy or because they rip out?
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:06 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
Foil on canopy

On my SkyS V1, I installed some foil over the canopy (see attached pics). I used some light foil wrapping paper. Not sure what itís made of exactly. I havenít had a chance to fly with it yet, but Iím wondering, will the foil prohibit the 2.4Ghz radio transmission? What do you think?

BTW, I am using a Full Range Spektrum 2.4GHz AR6200 receiver, like this one:
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:24 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
Landing Gear Build

I built some landing gear for my SkyS. Itís made from wire, CF tube, 2 wheels and a cable tie adhesive mount. The cable tie mount is hot glued to the bottom of the plane. Two wires are bent in a U-shape and each is hooked into the cable tie mount. The wires come down at 45-degree angle to wrap around a CF tube. The CF tube has another CF tube inside it for added strength. There is a wire axle inside the inner-most CF tube. At the end of each axle is a wheel with a small amount of wire bent at 90-degrees. The axle turns freely in the rod and the wire wrapped on the outside of the CF tube slides a little to allow some movement on landings.

Parts List
WIRE: taken from these marker flags. They sell these are Home Depot/Lowes or online here:
http://www.gemplers.com/shop/marking-flags#wire
I cut my axle wire to a length of 6-3/4" and my 2 support wires to a length of 5" each.
CF tubes: (7mm tube with a 5mm tube inside it for added strength), cut to 5-3/4" length
WHEELS: (purchased from Low Price RC here)
CABLE TIE ADHESIVE MOUNT: They sell these in the Electrical section at Home Depot/Lowes or online here: http://www.parts-express.com/1/1/676...nt-10-pcs.html

Results
Iíve done some testing just on my local street and so far it works pretty good. I upgraded the CF tube once, because a 3mm tube was too weak and cracked. I have mine positioned under the fuse, about 1Ē in front of the LE. I may need to position it up a little bit more because sometimes Iíve had the wheels catch and nose dives. On take offs, remember to accelerate smoothly and use your rudder to keep a straight take off.

You think this will work when it really counts?

Mike
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:37 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Here is one video from the HD keycam in native format followed by the another with individual captured scenes from the first video. Make sure you go to YOUTUBE and view in 720P.

Native video (.MOV)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1WuLXaqThk

Screen captures in AVI format
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsZrfEiKGGo
have you got a link to that keychain camera???
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:02 PM
San Jose,California
Joined Nov 2010
39 Posts
V2

I ordered a SSV2 from BEV on 12-28-10 , it was at my door today 01-04-11.
I have a V1 brushless from BH that now has an AR100E , 30amp esc ,and it is fun to fly. I can hardly wait to build this V2 up right.The main body is not glued together . It came double boxed with an air pillow in the inner box. No damage $70 total.
Commander Crash is offline Find More Posts by Commander Crash
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:08 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
have you got a link to that keychain camera???
Pavcon,

I assume you want the HD version. It's incredible. Price is $40 with free shipping. Some days it's $35 for one day only. I paid $40, ordered on December 19th and got it by the 29th.

There is only one that's a REAL HD keycam. It is sold by the retailers listed in the thread on the HD keychain camera. Go to post #2 of the below link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362692

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:16 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
oh now I see... I got the same 480p camera.. I didn't know there was a 720p version
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:24 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
oh now I see... I got the same 480p camera.. I didn't know there was a 720p version
Pavcon,

Yes, there is. There are, however, some sold as HD but they are NOT. I have two No. 3 cameras and one No. 6 as well. Until now the No.3's were the best in terms frames not being dropped and overall quality. This new HD one is different inside and is much better as you can see. $40 is a bargain.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:04 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
On my SkyS V1, I installed some foil over the canopy (see attached pics). I used some light foil wrapping paper. Not sure what itís made of exactly. I havenít had a chance to fly with it yet, but Iím wondering, will the foil prohibit the 2.4Ghz radio transmission? What do you think?

Putting foil over a canopy sounds like a receiver going through the testing phase at the manufacturer. Why?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:27 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:

Why would you want to shield the receiver?
RCG Plus Member