HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:47 AM
Joined Dec 2010
3 Posts
ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Did you get a APC 6x4E or APC 6x4EP?

If you have a E prop the motor should turn clockwise when viewed from the rear.

If you have a EP prop then the motor should turn counter clockwise as viewed from the rear.

Convex side of prop goes to the front.

To reverse a brushless motor swap any 2 of the 3 motor leads..
Does that then mean that the motor spins/works just as efficiently in either direction of rotation?

Thanks,
numi
nublihelmi is offline Find More Posts by nublihelmi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:13 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nublihelmi View Post
Does that then mean that the motor spins/works just as efficiently in either direction of rotation?

Thanks,
numi
Yes, as long as the correct prop is used.
When you use a motor like the SS has on a plane with the motor on the front the motor is reversed to keep the prop spinning clockwise as viewed from the rear. The efficiently is the same either rotation.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:27 AM
Joined Dec 2010
3 Posts
Quote:
Yes, as long as the correct prop is used.
When you use a motor like the SS has on a plane with the motor on the front the motor is reversed to keep the prop spinning clockwise as viewed from the rear. The efficiently is the same either rotation.
Thanks for clearing that up Gene. The trim of the plane/glider will need to be adjusted though, won't it ... now that the torque from the motor is reversed?

numi
nublihelmi is offline Find More Posts by nublihelmi
Old Jan 03, 2011, 12:38 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
I believe in our case the affect is negligible; you shouldn't notice it at all really. However, shocking though it may be, I have been wrong before...

Chance
ChanceCarroll is offline Find More Posts by ChanceCarroll
Old Jan 03, 2011, 02:11 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceCarroll View Post
I believe in our case the affect is negligible; you shouldn't notice it at all really. However, shocking though it may be, I have been wrong before...

Chance
You are right. Possibly a small amount of trim difference, no more then any other launch.
Seems folks who mount their motors higher on the EasyStar and use a slow out runner with large prop notice a pull one way under power. Not from motor torque but from the turbulent air from prop wash hitting one side of the vertical stabilizer. With the smaller props we use this doesn't seem to be much of a factor.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 02:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
24 Posts
CONFUSED!! You Will Be!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Hi guys (gals welcome too). Welcome to the Sky Surfer (aka SkyS) thread.
Hello Mr Baker..... And everybody else.... New Guy here... I just got a Sky Surfer for Christmas. I just started assembly and hit a lot of questions that this thread either doesn't answer or which just confuse the heck out of me.

The manual that came with it, it seems, is only useful as spare toilet paper. Very little accurate information in it.

So... First of all I'm in the UK.... The version I got, is available from BRC Hobbies and a couple of other dealers over here. It's the one with clear canopy and pilot figure, plus the additional decals, internal push rods, no aerial slot on the bottom either.

It came with the fuselage halves already glued together and the brushless motor already fitted. I've got a spare 25Amp esc and 1800Mah LiPo I'm planning to use, which is way more than enough, and should run cool. I've changed the prop for a 6X4e as recommended by Mr Baker. I've strengthened the horizontal stab with some CF rod and will be fitting the rubber band wing mod and putting strapping tape on the bottom of the fuselage to help with skid landing.

OK! so here's question 1..... You guys have the CG at between 68mm and 72mm from the leading edge and it looks to be flying well at those settings. The instructions that came with the SkyS have a diagram showing the CG at 60mm from the leading edge! So now I'm confused on that one. Is the UK version that I have in some way different. Or is it just that the CG in the manual is wrong by a large amount.

question 2.... The manual has no settings at all for control throws.... I'll go with the ones you guys seem to be using in this thread I think... Do you think I should have some low rates set up for the first few flights??

Question 3... When the washers are fitted, are they obvious if you look inside the open cockpit?? Only I don't see any glued in washers in mine?? I even held it up to a strong light to see if they are embedded in the foam somewhere, and I don't see any... Don't want to go digging holes to get them out if they're not there to start with.

Thanks for any help you can provide guys!

Pete.
peterpiper is offline Find More Posts by peterpiper
Old Jan 03, 2011, 06:39 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I can say something about Q2.
let your throws be at maximum.. if you are a beginner it will be more forgiving (elevator) even with max aileron throws the roll is not so fast and the rudder has too small moving surface to have so much effect to make you worry about anything
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:05 PM
Columbus, GA
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
I had a crash today. I was performing a loop and the rod inside the wing disintegrated on me. Caused the SkyS to nose dive into the ground. I performed the elapor soup method to get the fuse fixed but does anyone know where i can by a new rod for the wings? Possibly a stronger rod?
D0Z3R is offline Find More Posts by D0Z3R
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:01 PM
Joined Jan 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
I can say something about Q2.
let your throws be at maximum.. if you are a beginner it will be more forgiving (elevator) even with max aileron throws the roll is not so fast and the rudder has too small moving surface to have so much effect to make you worry about anything
Thanks for the advice Pavcon... Not a beginner, so no worries there.... have you got any differential set on your ailerons?? Anybody got any recommendations on that, and on what's working well for them??

Anybody tried spoilerons or flaperons on it??

I do still need to tie down what the CG should actually be though. I'm inclined to believe the figures in this thread for where it should be rather than the (60mm) that's shown on the diagram in the manual. It'd have to be way too nose heavy at 60mm.

Pete.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:06 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper View Post
Thanks for the advice Pavcon... Not a beginner, so no worries there.... have you got any differential set on your ailerons?? Anybody got any recommendations on that, and on what's working well for them??

Anybody tried spoilerons or flaperons on it??

I do still need to tie down what the CG should actually be though. I'm inclined to believe the figures in this thread for where it should be rather than the (60mm) that's shown on the diagram in the manual. It'd have to be way too nose heavy at 60mm.

Pete.
I'd go with what aj recommends on the first page.

The ideal CG for this plane is 72mm from LE. For raw beginners, 68mm is the minimum recommended.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 08:10 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0Z3R View Post
I had a crash today. I was performing a loop and the rod inside the wing disintegrated on me. Caused the SkyS to nose dive into the ground. I performed the elapor soup method to get the fuse fixed but does anyone know where i can by a new rod for the wings? Possibly a stronger rod?
You were warned about the spar on the first page. If you haven't done it yet read all aj's work he did on page one.

My LHS been running out of CF lately so I've looking around some. Found this. You can get a solid 6mm cf rod or fiberglass of 6 or 8mm.

http://www.goodwinds.com/goodwinds/m...lidroundcarbon
Old Jan 04, 2011, 06:27 AM
Joined Jan 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
I'd go with what aj recommends on the first page.
The ideal CG for this plane is 72mm from LE. For raw beginners, 68mm is the minimum recommended.
Thanks! Yeah, makes way more sense given that most guys in this thread seem to be flying on those settings and given Mr Bakers' planes' performance in his videos It's certainly the right setting.

I figured out the washers question.... It's a Mk2 plane and doesn't have the dreaded washers fitted.

Pete.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 06:32 AM
Joined Jul 2008
187 Posts
Pete, I have the same plane as you (Christmas present, bought from BRC hobbies). I haven't received the electronics yet so cannot start building it
And yes, this is a V2, inside control rod, no washers, and a clear canopy.
yannc is offline Find More Posts by yannc
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:36 AM
Joined Jan 2011
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannc View Post
Pete, I have the same plane as you (Christmas present, bought from BRC hobbies). I haven't received the electronics yet so cannot start building it And yes, this is a V2, inside control rod, no washers, and a clear canopy.
Cool! .... Did you notice that they're only 5 cheaper than the easy-star on there. I think they could probably have sold it a bit cheaper. But IMHO I think this is a better plane for the money. Ailerons, well powered brushless motor included.

I'm just running some carbon fiber rod to strengthen the tail boom right now. I was lucky in that all the electronics came out of the spares box. Good luck with your build up.

Pete.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:39 AM
Joined Jul 2008
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpiper View Post
Cool! .... Did you notice that they're only 5 cheaper than the easy-star on there. I think they could probably have sold it a bit cheaper. But IMHO I think this is a better plane for the money. Ailerons, well powered brushless motor included.

I'm just running some carbon fiber rod to strengthen the tail boom right now. I was lucky in that all the electronics came out of the spares box. Good luck with your build up.

Pete.
I agree it could have been cheaper. But I have always flown ailerons and it's why I never considered the Easy star. And I believe it's a brushed Easy star where you get a brushless with the SS
By the way, if you consider doing video, I strongly recommend the Traveler DV5000 that you can find in all Aldi stores. Stripped down it's very light and you get a very good 720p video for not much .
yannc is offline Find More Posts by yannc
Last edited by yannc; Jan 04, 2011 at 08:46 AM.