Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:10 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
One more question on the spar mod: Is the weak spar issue across the board with respect to vendors? I.e. are all SkyS, regardless of where purchased, equipped with weak spars?
It's just a design flaw. Maybe, if a better quality of CF was used it may have been a non-issue. The simplest solution would be been to design it with a larger diameter tube and a thicker wall tube.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Jan 01, 2011 at 09:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2011, 09:26 PM
San Jose,California
Joined Nov 2010
39 Posts
battery

thank you for the info about the battery that helps me understand it alot better.My sky surfer does come with the brushless motor. the 30 amp esc is just something that i have extra so i thought i would use it. I am currently using 1300 batteries,they work pretty good.
Commander Crash is offline Find More Posts by Commander Crash
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:47 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
So how important is the canopy to flight characteristics? I lost mine over a swamp

Also, I'm having serious fun and have yet to hit anything but the ground, although dodging a tree line caused me to nose in earlier; it hit hard enough to hear the thump 400ft away so it's off to glue it back together...

Thankfully my more recent crashes have been because I was flying when I shouldn't have and not complete of skill! I'm trying to make the most use of my days off....
ChanceCarroll is offline Find More Posts by ChanceCarroll
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:53 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceCarroll View Post
So how important is the canopy to flight characteristics? I lost mine over a swamp

Also, I'm having serious fun and have yet to hit anything but the ground, although dodging a tree line caused me to nose in earlier; it hit hard enough to hear the thump 400ft away so it's off to glue it back together...

Thankfully my more recent crashes have been because I was flying when I shouldn't have and not complete of skill! I'm trying to make the most use of my days off....
The FPV guys fly with a friggin camera in the bay. It will fly fine without it. I think BH sells spares, just be patient. Their parts dept. is slow to ship. I think they batch and ship everything at the end of the week.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 02:27 AM
i Like RC
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
Servo Replacement and Motor Mount

I received my brushless SS from BH. I'm a newbie to RC Planes so some help from the Pros out there would be appreciated.

One of my aileron servos continuously makes noise when I plug in the battery. I don't think I trust it. I'm thinking of replacing all 4 servos with some SG90 or MG90 that I found on eBay. I also found some MG90S servos but I'm not sure how they differ from MG90. Any suggestions what servos I should buy? I don't need top of the line but I want something that works and fits into the SS easily.

The ailerons are very stiff. I have worked them up and down by hand but I still think they are too stiff to fly the plane properly. Do most people find it necessary to re-hinge them with tape or new hinges or am I being overly concerned?

I also split the fuselage in half and took out the washers. Now I'm thinking of taking out the motor and making a universal motor mount as shown on one of the posts using some tubing. It would be great to be able to swap motors later on without having to open the fuse again. Do most people do this or do you just split the fuse open whenever you need to replace the motor? I think the hardest part of this modification is removing the motor without breaking the foam. The glue is very strong and there is lots of it. Any suggestions how to remove the motor? It's glued in there really good.

Should I use Gorilla glue to put the fuse back together or is there something better?

Any suggestions from the pros would be greatly appreciated.
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Old Jan 02, 2011, 09:18 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Aileron replacement.

Quote:
One of my aileron servos continuously makes noise when I plug in the battery. I don't think I trust it.
On these park flyers I have successfully used the following servos:
Tower SG90, HXT900, Turnigy TGY-1800A. All are 9g servos.

Quote:
The ailerons are very stiff.
I exercised the ailerons by hand before installing the servos. Mine work fine, so far, with the stock hinges.

Quote:
Should I use Gorilla glue to put the fuse back together or is there something better?
I assembled my SkyS v2 with medium CA. If I ever need to separate the fuselage halves this may be a mistake. If you plan on separating the fuselage halves later I don't know what to recommend.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Jan 02, 2011, 10:08 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Flyer View Post
I received my brushless SS from BH. I'm a newbie to RC Planes so some help from the Pros out there would be appreciated.

One of my aileron servos continuously makes noise when I plug in the battery. I don't think I trust it. I'm thinking of replacing all 4 servos with some SG90 or MG90 that I found on eBay. I also found some MG90S servos but I'm not sure how they differ from MG90. Any suggestions what servos I should buy? I don't need top of the line but I want something that works and fits into the SS easily.

The ailerons are very stiff. I have worked them up and down by hand but I still think they are too stiff to fly the plane properly. Do most people find it necessary to re-hinge them with tape or new hinges or am I being overly concerned?

I also split the fuselage in half and took out the washers. Now I'm thinking of taking out the motor and making a universal motor mount as shown on one of the posts using some tubing. It would be great to be able to swap motors later on without having to open the fuse again. Do most people do this or do you just split the fuse open whenever you need to replace the motor? I think the hardest part of this modification is removing the motor without breaking the foam. The glue is very strong and there is lots of it. Any suggestions how to remove the motor? It's glued in there really good.

Any suggestions from the pros would be greatly appreciated.
As Gary said:

1. Any 9 gram servo will work. HXT 900 from Hobby city are an excellent value.

2. Excercise the ailerons with the linkages off. If still not happy, cut and re-hinge with packaging tape such as 3M Storage tape.

3. Separate the fuselage with a simple kitchen knife (non serrated) should be your goal. A glue that will separate the two halves is what you want (see item 4.)

4. Re-glue the fuselage with Plumbers Goop. It can be separated with kitchen knife with minimal cohesive failure of the foam.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:47 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
lol I came so close to posting about my motor turning the wrong way before I thought to check to if I accidentally bought a reverse rotation prop! doh!
I 'm exited about the increased thrust of the APC 6x4, just wished it went the right way sigh, back to the hobby shop!

On another note, if I could replace any two control horns, which ones should it be? It seems to me the ailerons have the most play, but I wonder anyone has had specific problems with other horns first?

Thanks,
Chance
Old Jan 02, 2011, 06:58 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
lol I came so close to posting about my motor turning the wrong way before I thought to check to if I accidentally bought a reverse rotation prop! doh!
I 'm exited about the increased thrust of the APC 6x4, just wished it went the right way sigh, back to the hobby shop!

On another note, if I could replace any two control horns, which ones should it be? It seems to me the ailerons have the most play, but I wonder anyone has had specific problems with other horns first?

Thanks,
Chance
Did you get a APC 6x4E or APC 6x4EP?

If you have a E prop the motor should turn clockwise when viewed from the rear.

If you have a EP prop then the motor should turn counter clockwise as viewed from the rear.

Convex side of prop goes to the front.

To reverse a brushless motor swap any 2 of the 3 motor leads.

To reverse the brushed version just swap the 2 motor lead wires.

Replace all your control horns with DuBro horns.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:51 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
It was an EP, I just grabbed the wrong one. I'm going to put the stock prop back on until my hobby king order gets here with my new motor.

Any advice about painting the sky surfer?
Old Jan 02, 2011, 09:14 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Flying Hi

Quote:
It was an EP, I just grabbed the wrong one. I'm going to put the stock prop back on until my hobby king order gets here with my new motor.

Any advice about painting the sky surfer?
Don't paint it! ANY additional weight is not good. For this plane, I suggest that you do not add any additional weight (repeat). Take some videos for all of us to enjoy. If anyone has seen an SS will; I always us any.

AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 02, 2011, 09:29 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
If anyone has seen an SS will; I always us any.

AJ
what?

Also, I'm not wanting to paint the whole thing, but my stickers came all bunched up and creased and have already ( < 15 flights) started to peel up on the leading edges. I wanted to take the stickers off because they don't look nice and paint the wingtips and under the fuselage to make it easier to see; I don't intend to paint the whole plane (especially not now)
Old Jan 02, 2011, 09:34 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Maybe something like what Chris has done with his skywalker here
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:49 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Flyer View Post
I'm finding hot glue works well for EPO foam pieces you need to be able re-separate in the future. To remove it, you just have to be able to reheat the glue in the seam. So how do you reheat it? I've found a separating trick you can do with a metal putty knife and a soldering gun/iron. Just heat the metal putty knife blade edge with the soldering gun, then slowly push the putty knife in the seam. It melts the hot glue seam like butter. Here is the Harbor Freight soldering gun I use, which heats up very quickly.

Also have used this trick to remove hot glued velcro, gyros and plastic pieces.
mike_m2 is offline Find More Posts by mike_m2
Old Jan 02, 2011, 11:57 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
Quote:

Thanks,
Chance
On my SkyS, I still have the stock control horns on the ailerons after a dozen or so flights. The ones on the rudder and elevator ripped out of their holes on the first couple flights, so I would replace them first. That's just what I've seen. Others may experienced something different.
mike_m2 is offline Find More Posts by mike_m2