HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:04 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Yes, to both. The motor is a typical upgrade. The collet is must have and they are an industry standard for attaching props.

Does you plane have the stock brushless or brushed motor?
The brushed motor, or else I would just leave it stock, I'm trying to resist the temptation to keep doing mods until I become more proficient with it.
ChanceCarroll is offline Find More Posts by ChanceCarroll
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:07 PM
Alabama
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceCarroll View Post
You're right on the heat sink, I don't know what I was thinking....

AJ recommended this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5203 in post #1405 but $20 on the motor will mean one less battery I can buy untill I get paid again, I guess I could make a UMM and start cheap then swap them out till I find one I like.
OR...
You could start a swarm sale and if some others join in you can get it for $10.48 !! I would gladly join it just to help you with the numbers. Heck, I might even talk myself into buying JUST ONE MORE.
studawg66 is offline Find More Posts by studawg66
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:08 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,360 Posts
Quote:
I'm going with this motor to start with, thanks for all the help!
It will work great. You could probably get away with running 20C 3S 2200 packs which are about $10 at Hobbyking.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:18 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studawg66 View Post
OR...
You could start a swarm sale and if some others join in you can get it for $10.48 !! I would gladly join it just to help you with the numbers. Heck, I might even talk myself into buying JUST ONE MORE.
lol I know that temptation! tell you what, I'll make a universal motor mount of some sort so I can swap motors, and then we can start a swarm later I'm going with the recommended outrunner because it comes with everything and I had a good personal recommendation I'd like to also try that inrunner later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
It will work great. You could probably get away with running 20C 3S 2200 packs which are about $10 at Hobbyking.
Thats what I am hoping to run! They have the Zippy 3S1P for $7.99. I was planning on charging them with the stock charger (slooooow but it says 3S compatible) until I get paid.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:42 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Motor.

I used this Turnigy 1900kv on my Clouds Fly and flying wing and it worked fairly well on both with a 6x5E prop.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:56 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc View Post
I used this Turnigy 1900kv on my Clouds Fly and flying wing and it worked fairly well on both with a 6x5E prop.
You had to post right as I was about to order didn't you! I kid, I kid!

I don't under stand why that one is cheaper? it seems to have about the same specs but turn faster and pull 4 more amps...

humm, now I have to go compare some more....

EDIT:
I see, it's for a 2S system! ok, sticking with the first one!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:09 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
You had to post right as I was about to order didn't you! I kid, I kid!

I don't under stand why that one is cheaper? it seems to have about the same specs but turn faster and pull 4 more amps...

humm, now I have to go compare some more....

EDIT:
I see, it's for a 2S system! ok, sticking with the first one!
I used it with 3S and a 18A ESC for nearly 100 flights. The 1650kv will probably turn in nearly the same performance. If you over-prop it you will probably fry it as well as any other motor you over-prop.

Good question as to why it is so cheap. Maybe I got lucky.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 07:22 AM
Joined Jul 2008
187 Posts
Received my ARF from BRC hobbies (UK vendor). Definitely a V2, clear canopy (pilot included), inside control rods and I couldn't see washers in the front. Mine came glued already, I would have preferred to do this myself. Actually, beside the kit and the motor, nothing else is provided (not even the glue!).
Now I need my HK order so I can start building the thing. ..
yannc is offline Find More Posts by yannc
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:53 AM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
A note to any fellow beginners out there, you might as well reinforce the wing spar right off the bat; I broke mine pulling out of a dive too quickly on the maiden two days ago. I had convinced myself it wasn't necessary because I wasn't trying to do anything aerobatic, however "trying" was the operative word :P

Also, take the wings off and check after every day of flying! I didn't notice mine was broken until today!

Quick question, it looks like the horizontal stabilizer is slightly crooked, one tip is a cm or two higher than the other; whats the best way to fix it? pull it out and re-glue it?
It's possible there was a slightly hard landing somewhere in the last couple of flights (most of them)

Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 09:43 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,360 Posts
Quote:
A note to any fellow beginners out there, you might as well reinforce the wing spar right off the bat; I broke mine pulling out of a dive too quickly on the maiden two days ago. I had convinced myself it wasn't necessary because I wasn't trying to do anything aerobatic, however "trying" was the operative word :P

Also, take the wings off and check after every day of flying! I didn't notice mine was broken until today!

Quick question, it looks like the horizontal stabilizer is slightly crooked, one tip is a cm or two higher than the other; whats the best way to fix it? pull it out and re-glue it?
It's possible there was a slightly hard landing somewhere in the last couple of flights (most of them)

Thanks!
Chance,

Yes, the stock spar is too weak. Thanks for sharing your advice.

Horizontal stab is crooked? Did you build it that way or did it warp? EPO foam is great for crash resistance but the drawback is that it will warp if stored with weight on a component (e.g., wing or stab). I first noticed this with a EPO jet that had to be trimmed every time I flew it because the EPO would warp slightly. If the horizontal stab simply took a set a little heat can be applied to bend it back to normal. If you glued it in that way some surgery may be in order.

To prevent warping I retrofitted a piece of 3 mm CF on the bottom side. See picture below.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:25 AM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
It probably warped, I had it in my car and did not realize some weight was on the stabilizer. I'm going to pick up some more carbon fiber right now, then I can fly some more
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:05 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannc View Post
Received my ARF from BRC hobbies (UK vendor). Definitely a V2, clear canopy (pilot included), inside control rods and I couldn't see washers in the front. Mine came glued already, I would have preferred to do this myself. Actually, beside the kit and the motor, nothing else is provided (not even the glue!).
Now I need my HK order so I can start building the thing. ..
Are the spar covers glued into the wings? If so, I assume there is an aileron servo extension built into each wing.
If the brushless motor is already glued in I hope the motor wires are long enough to get to an ESC. My motor wires were short.
I hope you got the steel pushrods with the kit.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
187 Posts
The spar covers are not glued so that's a good thing. The motor is already glued in. The motor wires must be about 3 cm long with bullet connectors on them...I'll definitely need an extension from the ESC and I have ordered the necessary parts on HK for this.
yannc is offline Find More Posts by yannc
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:25 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannc View Post
The spar covers are not glued so that's a good thing. The motor is already glued in. The motor wires must be about 3 cm long with bullet connectors on them...I'll definitely need an extension from the ESC and I have ordered the necessary parts on HK for this.
FWIW: I used medium CA for the entire build. I used no epoxy on my SkyS v2.
I used hot glue to fix the servos in place. Good luck.
I think I used some Gorilla Glue to fix the motor into the fuselage.
Last edited by garymcc; Dec 31, 2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 04:39 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Replaced the wingspar and greatness ensued! This plane is so much fun!