HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:59 AM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,509 Posts
I think that motor is a bit underpowered for the SS with only a 10.5A max. Use an inrunner or a larger brushless. You also only have clearance for a 6" prop.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:18 AM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanceCarroll View Post
I have my control rods in the topmost holes, but I have no idea if that is correct!

Also, mine shipped with some servos in the wrong channels...
You can put the control rods in any of the holes you want. It really depends how much throw (the distance the control surface moves) you want. If you are a beginner, you might want less throw, so the plane doesn't move too much when the servo moves. If you're an expert, you probably want more throw, so you can make more bold movements if needed.

TO SET FOR MINIMUM THROW:
  1. put the control rod in the outermost hole on the control horn
  2. on the servos arm put the control rods on the innermost hole

TO SET FOR MAXIMUM THROW:
  1. put the control rod in the innermost hole on the control horn
  2. on the servos arm put the control rods on the outermost hole

Of course you can experiment and do combinations in between. If you test out the the minimum and maximum throw combinations above you will see the difference in throw I'm talking about.
mike_m2 is offline Find More Posts by mike_m2
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:22 AM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Would a helicopter motor work? I'll admit I'm not sure what the difference is.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=11175

I also noticed this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5221

Thanks for being here to answer questions!
ChanceCarroll is offline Find More Posts by ChanceCarroll
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:25 AM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
I'm looking at this motor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5423 and a 2200mah 3s battery pack.

Any alternative suggestions?
1. I use that motor on a 52 inch flying wing and it works well but I am also using a 8x prop.
2. The reviews for that motor on Hobby K. state it works as a replacement for the Floater Jet/Clouds Fly, a plane similar to the Sky Surfer. I don't know what mods or props they used.
3. My SkyS will only allow a 6x prop. That FC2812 motor seems to work best with 7x and 8x props, IMO.
4. Earlier in the thread someone replaced the brushed motor with a 2200kv brushless inrunner from Hobby K. and attached pictures of the mod. Check it out.
5. My SkyS has the stock brushless and I am satisfied with the performance. It does not have a lunar trajectory but it gets the job done. I don't know if the stock motor is available separately.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:30 AM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_m2 View Post
You can put the control rods in any of the holes you want. It really depends how much throw (the distance the control surface moves) you want. If you are a beginner, you might want less throw, so the plane doesn't move too much when the servo moves. If you're an expert, you probably want more throw, so you can make more bold movements if needed.

TO SET FOR MINIMUM THROW:
  1. put the control rod in the outermost hole on the control horn
  2. on the servos arm put the control rods on the innermost hole

TO SET FOR MAXIMUM THROW:
  1. put the control rod in the innermost hole on the control horn
  2. on the servos arm put the control rods on the outermost hole

Of course you can experiment and do combinations in between. If you test out the the minimum and maximum throw combinations above you will see the difference in throw I'm talking about.
I'm going to play with this today, I still have mine set the way it came.

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:35 AM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Blitz is notorious for NOT sending binding instructions for the 2.4 radios. There are a couple they offer. Below is for one of the radios. The below took be two weeks to get from BH.

BlitzRCWorks MC4DF 2.4GHz Radio Bind Process
*Before performing the bind process, please make sure that your lithium polymer battery is fully charged and you have installed fresh AA batteries into your transmitter.

1.) Plug the bind plug into the ID SET CH on the receiver.
2.) Plug the battery into the unit.
3.) Make sure the throttle stick and the throttle trim are both in their lowest down positions on the transmitter.
4.) Hold down the “Bind Set” button on the transmitter. Continue holding the button down while you power up the transmitter and after the transmitter is on.
5.) While still holding the “Bind Set” button down, remove the bind plug from the receiver. Wait for about 5 seconds before proceeding to step 6.
6.) Release the “Bind Set” button on the transmitter.

The bind process is now complete. Happy Flying!!
I got the RTF SS in October from BH, but the BlitzRC tx did not have a "Bind Set" button or at least one that I could find, so I don't know how I would re-bind if I had to. I see something on the front sticker that set 'BIND', but no switch.

Nevertheless, I ended up replacing my stock tx and rx for the SS because of loss of signal during flight. What I bought and highly recommend for a replacement: For ~$150 Spektrum Dx6i (link - this is the tx without the rx). Then you can get a compatible rx from HK here or here. These are only ~$8 instead of the Spektrum ones which are much more expensive.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:24 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
Quote:

Here is what I used for a motor and related components:

MOTOR: I used this Turnigy 1650Kv brushless outrunner on my SS to replace the stock brushed. It gives me plenty of thrust with not too much weight. It has a prop mount included, so you don't have to reverse the shaft to use the motor.
MOTOR MOUNT: Just realize, to mount any of these outrunner motors on the SS, I believe you to use a motor mount. The stock brushed and brushless motors are inrunner motors and sit inside the motor cavity. Outrunners, will sit outside the motor cavity. I made my mount out of hard plastic, screwed and glued into the original motor cavity. It looks sorta like this mount with a 1/2" PVC pipe glued to the back.
PROP: I use it with a 6x3 prop, even though the motor specs say a little different. Any props longer than 6" diameter usually have problems physically fitting the SS.
BATTERY: I use a 3s 2200mAh battery, took out the washers in the nose to get rid of that dead weight, and positioned the battery so the CG was correct.
ESC: This motor also requires a speed controller (ESC) that can handle the amp draw. This one says 18 amp minimum, so a 20 or 25 amp ESC will work. Here are 2 options that work: 1. Hobby King 20A ESC With 2A UBEC and 2. HobbyKing 20A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller. I use #2. Whatever motor you decide to get, the will most likely need to upgrade the ESC also, because the stock one with the brushed doesn't handle the higher amp draw.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 05:00 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_rascal View Post
I think that motor is a bit underpowered for the SS with only a 10.5A max. Use an inrunner or a larger brushless. You also only have clearance for a 6" prop.
It's actually a 15.5 amp max, that is the amp draw with a specific prop.
Some of the other recommended motors are only about 12a max, or am I missing something?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 08:31 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Quote:
It's actually a 15.5 amp max, that is the amp draw with a specific prop.
Some of the other recommended motors are only about 12a max, or am I missing something?

Thanks for the feedback!
The stock brushless motor on my SkyS draws about 14A max with a 6x4E and 3S lipo.
The CF2812 on my flying wing draws about 14A with a 8x4E. It draws about 15.5A with a 7x5E. The 8x4 actually produces more thrust at less current, according to my cheap scale, than the 7x5E.

The following posts have some photos of alternative motors: #318, #1511, and #1401.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:02 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,614 Posts
Quote:

The first one is an outrunner (TR22186-2100)
and you'd have to press the shaft through. The KV is reasonable if not a little high if you are a newbie.

The second one has a heat sink which makes mounting it problematic.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2010, 09:05 PM
Columbus, GA
Joined Oct 2010
65 Posts
I had my maiden flight with the SkyS today and it was fantastic.

This bird loves to fly and is a lot faster than I thought it would be. I absolutely love it.

Does anyone know about the average flight time is on the stock battery?

Do you guys know if the ESC will warn me if the better gets to low like cutting the power to the motor or something like that?
D0Z3R is offline Find More Posts by D0Z3R
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:29 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
I maiden-ed mine today as well and it was a blast! As far as I know the stock esc does not offer any battery protection.

This thing glides forever, I love it!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:44 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
The first one is an outrunner (TR22186-2100)
and you'd have to press the shaft through. The KV is reasonable if not a little high if you are a newbie.

The second one has a heat sink which makes mounting it problematic.
You're right on the heat sink, I don't know what I was thinking....

AJ recommended this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5203 in post #1405 but $20 on the motor will mean one less battery I can buy untill I get paid again, I guess I could make a UMM and start cheap then swap them out till I find one I like.

Another question, do I need something like this to attach the prop? Sorry for the inane questions, this is my first plane and I am loving it, and you guys are a big reason why I have enjoyed it so much! Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:48 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,614 Posts
Quote:
You're right on the heat sink, I don't know what I was thinking....

AJ recommended this one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5203 in post #1405 but $20 on the motor will mean one less battery I can buy untill I get paid again, I guess I could make a UMM and start cheap then swap them out till I find one I like.

Another question, do I need something like this to attach the prop? Sorry for the inane questions, this is my first plane and I am loving it, and you guys are a big reason why I have enjoyed it so much! Thanks!
Yes, to both. The motor is a typical upgrade. The collet is must have and they are an industry standard for attaching props.

Does you plane have the stock brushless or brushed motor?
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:58 PM
wait what goes here.....
USA, NC, Brunswick
Joined Dec 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_m2 View Post
Here is what I used for a motor and related components:

MOTOR: I used this Turnigy 1650Kv brushless outrunner on my SS to replace the stock brushed. It gives me plenty of thrust with not too much weight. It has a prop mount included, so you don't have to reverse the shaft to use the motor.
MOTOR MOUNT: Just realize, to mount any of these outrunner motors on the SS, I believe you to use a motor mount. The stock brushed and brushless motors are inrunner motors and sit inside the motor cavity. Outrunners, will sit outside the motor cavity. I made my mount out of hard plastic, screwed and glued into the original motor cavity. It looks sorta like this mount with a 1/2" PVC pipe glued to the back.
PROP: I use it with a 6x3 prop, even though the motor specs say a little different. Any props longer than 6" diameter usually have problems physically fitting the SS.
BATTERY: I use a 3s 2200mAh battery, took out the washers in the nose to get rid of that dead weight, and positioned the battery so the CG was correct.
ESC: This motor also requires a speed controller (ESC) that can handle the amp draw. This one says 18 amp minimum, so a 20 or 25 amp ESC will work. Here are 2 options that work: 1. Hobby King 20A ESC With 2A UBEC and 2. HobbyKing 20A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller. I use #2. Whatever motor you decide to get, the will most likely need to upgrade the ESC also, because the stock one with the brushed doesn't handle the higher amp draw.
I'm going with this motor to start with, thanks for all the help!