SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 16, 2010, 01:13 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I would cut them off and solder on a set of deans, or an adapter would be easy to make.
Like AntennaEars said, change them out.
I'd suggest changing out all your batteries and escs to one connector and stick with that. Adapters just make 2 more connections that can cause more resistance and added problems down the road.
You need to be very careful when soldering new connections on a lipo battery. You never want the 2 leads to touch each other otherwise bad things can happen very quickly.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2010, 01:15 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
Maidened the SkyS today.
Removed 6 large washers.
Put on APC 6x4 prop with adapter.
Used A 2200mah battery.
Need to reduce the throw on the elevator.
Need to increase the throws on the ailerons.
CG needs some work.
I'm sure I'll have a better flight in the morning.

Jim
Nice job Jim. It looks a bit tail heavy but I think you know that.
The singing camera man was amusing. Tell him not to quit his day job.

Q
Old May 16, 2010, 05:44 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
455 Posts
Yep, the plane was a little tail heavy.
I made all the adjustments I thought it needed and the plane flew beautifully.

Until...
Banana Hobby / BlitzRC Sky Surfer - Jim Folds the Wings (3 min 5 sec)

A closer look.
flyvertigo is online now Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old May 16, 2010, 07:03 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Yep, the plane was a little tail heavy.
I made all the adjustments I thought it needed and the plane flew beautifully.

Until...

A closer look.
First I was going to say you forgot the wing spar but I see at the end you didn't. Stock is 6mm fiberglass tube. You fly it hard so I'd recommend using a 8mm solid CF rod. Pop the wing strut covers off and ream out the opening some to accept the 8mm shaft. CA the covers back on. Cover the lower length with packing tape.
Nice save there in the video.

Q
Last edited by 2500GENE; May 16, 2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: AJ told me to.
Old May 16, 2010, 07:28 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
First I was going to say you forgot the wing spar but I see at the end you didn't. Stock is 6mm fiberglass tube. You fly it hard so I'd recommend using a 8mm solid CF rod. Pop the wing strut covers off and ream out the opening some to accept the 8mm shaft. CA the covers back on. Cover the lower length with packing tape.
Nice save there in the video.

Q
Yes, I flew it hard. I would not recommend a fast dive into a loop. I think the plane would have been strong enough to handle it if the wings were glued in.The load would have been spread throughout the whole assembly. I have already fixed it with a .240 carbon tube I had left over from my stunt kite flying days. I will leave the sport flying to my my modified and reinforced Wild Hawk.

Jim
flyvertigo is online now Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old May 16, 2010, 08:36 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I flew it hard. I would not recommend a fast dive into a loop. I think the plane would have been strong enough to handle it if the wings were glued in.The load would have been spread throughout the whole assembly. I have already fixed it with a .240 carbon tube I had left over from my stunt kite flying days. I will leave the sport flying to my my modified and reinforced Wild Hawk.

Jim
.240 is still 1/4 inch or 6mm. I'd use a 8mm solid like the EZ Star. I haven't broken that yet with some crazy maneuvers....yet.
Old May 18, 2010, 08:42 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
. I haven't broken that yet with some crazy maneuvers....yet.
I wouldn't call flying in straight lines "crazy maneuvers" there geneius.

Gotta get you back for calling me antennaears...........
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old May 19, 2010, 12:27 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:

Jim
I just had the same thing happen to me today except it was three gentle loops at altitude. The first loop was fine, the second I noticed that the wings looked a tad folded, and the third was like a dog's ears out the car window. They were just about touching. I chopped power and everything went sorta back in place. I finished my 10 minute flight and after I landed I noticed the wings were loose. I pulled them apart enough to see that the spar had spilt. I think I'm going to go the Gene route and put in an 8mm carbon rod.

Bummer only three flights on it!

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old May 19, 2010, 02:25 PM
"Walk of shame" Master!!!
West Chicago Il
Joined Jul 2004
538 Posts
Hi, I finally had my first flight on my sky surfer since I bout it 3 weeks ago. I made the mistake of ordering the "brush" version over the "brushless" ( never doing that again)

I change the original ESC to a Castle Creation pixy 20 brush ESC and a 3cell 20C lipo. I remove the washers and I place the lipo all the way to the nose. I left the stock motor for now but I replace the prop with an APC 6" prop....

I added magnets to hold the wings in place and it seemed to work...

FLIGHT.... It was a little too windy (10mph or more) and the Sky surfer was flying Ok, but It's defenately underpower, I was able to get altitude, loop but I was not able to roll, since I could never get enough speed......

overall good airplane RTF, but what do you guys recomend for brushless upgrade in a budget??? I have all my funds tied up in a garage remodel so I wanted to keep it cheap. I was interested on the parkjet combo from grayson hobby?

Pics and Video will be coming soon...

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...mbo-p-414.html
NoM'rcrashPlease is offline Find More Posts by NoM'rcrashPlease
Old May 19, 2010, 02:48 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM'rcrashPlease View Post
Hi, I finally had my first flight on my sky surfer since I bout it 3 weeks ago. I made the mistake of ordering the "brush" version over the "brushless" ( never doing that again)

I change the original ESC to a Castle Creation pixy 20 brush ESC and a 3cell 20C lipo. I remove the washers and I place the lipo all the way to the nose. I left the stock motor for now but I replace the prop with an APC 6" prop....

FLIGHT.... It was a little too windy (10mph or more) and the Sky surfer was flying Ok, but It's defenately underpower, I was able to get altitude, loop but I was not able to roll, since I could never get enough speed......

overall good airplane RTF, but what do you guys recomend for brushless upgrade in a budget??? I have all my funds tied up in a garage remodel so I wanted to keep it cheap. I was interested on the parkjet combo from grayson hobby?

FC 28-12 + or 25-30A ESC. You won't be able to get much cheaper than that. I have used the combo on my CF and it works great. Oh, use a TGS 6x4E prop. You WILL burn out the stock motor with a 3S LiPo after 5-10 flights. What mah size is your LiPo?
BTW- Set your aileron throws to the maximum you can get them both mechanically and servo throws. They are a little wimpy at stock settings. Then, you should be able to do at least a sloppy axial roll or better.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 19, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 02:50 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
lol... if you do that upgrade you will experience endless verticals No.1 Choice... go for the Grayson hobby mod Eyes closed..
Amp draw is about 24 amps with a 7x4E prop... a 6x4 prop will give you less and you will be safe

BUT as I told you .. Power is unlimited with that motor.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old May 19, 2010, 03:13 PM
West Chicago Il
Joined Jul 2004
538 Posts
thanx guys, My lipo is Polyquest 3s 1800mah....will order ASAP...thanx..
Old May 19, 2010, 03:14 PM
West Chicago Il
Joined Jul 2004
538 Posts
It's in backorder????
Old May 19, 2010, 04:52 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
no as far as I can see
http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...mbo-p-414.html yo ucan proceed to checkout
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old May 19, 2010, 05:44 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoM'rcrashPlease View Post

http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...mbo-p-414.html
That's a nice motor but use a 6x4E not a 7". It'll have plenty of power.
Aj's motor is nice also with the lower kv and your 1800 battery. More efficient.
I also use this
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5655
on a wild hawk. Good thrust and long flights.

Q