Old Dec 23, 2010, 05:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I joined to help you out.
AJ
Thank you. I am picking up some servo regulators and reverser so I figured I would pick up some props. No SWARM available on the servo regulator.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2010, 08:33 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Prop swarm is active and ready to buy

Thanks guys, the props are on sale in the swarm for $.48 each
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2010, 06:03 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Merry Christmas to everyone around the world.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Dec 25, 2010, 03:16 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Here is my FPV Sky Surfer, going to take her out tomorrow for my first FPV flight. Can't wait.

Stock brushless motor, 2100 mah 3s lipo, only two mods I did were cut an air intake in the bottom of the nose for cooling and I put Fiber tape on the bottom of the wings.

My only concern is the angle of the motor, mine is at a pretty hardcore angle. I have build tons of pusher planes before and I have never seen one so angled. Hopefully it's not a mistake from the manufacturer but I would think they would have caught it if it was.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Last edited by airbagit13; Dec 25, 2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:26 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Maiden for SkyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
Here is my FPV Sky Surfer, going to take her out tomorrow for my first FPV flight. Can't wait.

Stock brushless motor, 2100 mah 3s lipo, only two mods I did were cut an air intake in the bottom of the nose for cooling and I put Fiber tape on the bottom of the wings.

My only concern is the angle of the motor, mine is at a pretty hardcore angle. I have build tons of pusher planes before and I have never seen one so angled. Hopefully it's not a mistake from the manufacturer but I would think they would have caught it if it was.
Your build is really nice. Is there a servo under the cam? Do you like all the extra room (as compared to the EZ*) in the canopy area for the FPV stuff?

The thrust angle is totally appropriate and correct. When you fly it, I am sure you will agree. In fact, it could even be tilted up another 2-3 degrees and eliminate all the down pitch at a medium to WOT throttle change. I sure hope you love it as much as I do. I have flown 5 different EZ* clones and IMO, this is even better than the EZ* in the category of gliding and flight times.

Make sure to take videos to share with everyone. Happy Flying!

AJ

P.S. I know you will anyhow; but, double check the CG just to be sure it is correct.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:51 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
I was extremely impressed by the amount of room in the fuselage, I havent flown an EZ but from the pics of it that I have seen this one is much more roomy. With my fpv gear and 2100 mah lipo there is still enough room to house a family.

I didn't put a servo under the cam yet since it's my first fpv plane I am taking it one step at a time but it would be easy enough to cut a hole for the servo and epoxy the cam onto a servo arm.

Once I get the hang of it I will but the pan tilt mount to replace the fuse hatch and the gyro to get the head tracking to work.

Can"t wait till tomorrow, she really is a sweet bird.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:31 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Something to consider

Quote:

Can"t wait till tomorrow, she really is a sweet bird.
Since you maybe have some time and a few drops of CA, I would really like you to consider doing the mod on Page #1 - Post #3 - Mod #13 to your plane. That rear boom takes more stress because of your FPV gear and that should help a lot.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Dec 25, 2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Dec 26, 2010, 01:02 AM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Sounds like a good idea, no hobby stores are open on sundays here and I just used my last 3mm CF in a EPP foamys wing but I will just fly nice and slow tomorrow and then on monday I will reinforce. For now I will put a strip of fiber tape on the tp and bottom.

This plane just looks so sweet.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 02:29 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
FPV slow flying.

Quote:
Sounds like a good idea, no hobby stores are open on sundays here and I just used my last 3mm CF in a EPP foamys wing but I will just fly nice and slow tomorrow and then on monday I will reinforce. For now I will put a strip of fiber tape on the tp and bottom.

This plane just looks so sweet.
You are going to have SOOOOO much fun, I am jealous just remembering my maiden and how much fun I had. I would wish you luck. But, you won't need it. I am looking forward to a full report with videos for all of us to enjoy.
AJ
Old Dec 26, 2010, 09:19 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Merry Christmas to everyone around the world.
AJ
Thanks AJ and right back at you! I went to page one so as not to bother anyone, but I can't find the link to a company that builds a FPV camera mount for the SS. I know I saw it (unless I dreamed it and at my age who knows?)

The wife and I flew up to Portland to spend Christmas with my oldest daughter and family. Since they live on the side of a hill no flying this week. We head back to Puyallup (pronounced Pew-all-up which means valley of the friendly people. Whichs isn't totally correct since we love people to visit but not to live there.), but I digress. Once home I have left an EZ there so unless its raining cats and dogs, I can fly. Oh and I gave my uncle Charlie my extra SS that I ordered this fall from Banana, so the ranks have increased by one. Stay tuned for further developments.

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Dec 26, 2010, 09:47 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Anyone know where the FPV mount is for the SkyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgcag View Post
....... I can't find the link to a company that builds a FPV camera mount for the SS.

Jack
Hopefully, someone/everyone will read this and post a resorce so you can find it and I will definitely put it on Page #1. Meanwhile, if I find it, I will post it here and everywhere else, too. Thanks for calling this to my attention. We love neat and informative threads.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Dec 27, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:38 AM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Here is the link: I am going to wait till I get 5 or 6 FPV flights on her and then I am going to order it myself.

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=597

Edit: was way to windy for me to maiden today... hopefully tomorrow.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:25 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Here is the link: I am going to wait till I get 5 or 6 FPV flights on her and then I am going to order it myself.

It looks pretty well designed (see below).

RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:33 PM
The desert collection
Yuma AZ/Puyallup WA
Joined Jun 2006
764 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the link. I'm going to order one today. Good luck on your maiden. Its a cool plane!

Jack
jpgcag is offline Find More Posts by jpgcag
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:56 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,408 Posts
Don't have any personal experience with this camera mount, but the price is right and it looks fairly well made! See it here.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Last edited by Greywing; Jul 30, 2011 at 02:06 PM.