SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:11 PM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
SkyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
How about an ARF NIB and I will put in new servos, ESC, 1300mah LiPo, and a 2.4ghz radio with batteries. PM me if you (or anyone else) are interested. I don't like to discuss $$$ in the thread.
AJ
SkyS is sold. Sorry guys. I went by first come (from days ago), first ......... I am happy to report that I still have 2 SkyS's flying. I will attach a video from today - Part 2 of the SkyS with EZ* wing. I really wish I could get a few of you guys to fly both planes to get your opinion as to which one glides better, is more stable, power considerations, etc. It is so darn close, I can't tell the difference except , of course, the 2835-2200 has bunches more power than the stock BL. I will add the video in a few moments.
AJ


Sky Surfer with EZstar wings #2.mov (1 min 51 sec)
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Dec 15, 2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Add video - Part 2 of SkyS with EZ* wing test
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2010, 01:09 AM
Registered User
Alabama
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Gents,
I was out of town on business this week and stopped into a Hobby People store in Encino, CA and saw what I thought was a SS painted all black hanging on one of their racks. The guy corrected me and said it was an Easy Star, but that is not important. The cool part was that the guy who built this thing built it with "wingerons", if that is the term. Basically the whole wing pivots instead of just an aileron flap. I'm a noob to this hobby so that is the first I have seen of that, but I would love to see that thing in the air. I bet it is just silly!

Anyone planning "wingerons" on their SS?

By the way, whoever this dude is, kudos to you for an awesome build. Looked really cool.
studawg66 is offline Find More Posts by studawg66
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 07:10 PM
Why so serious?
2500GENE's Avatar
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
SkyS is sold. Sorry guys. I went by first come (from days ago), first ......... I am happy to report that I still have 2 SkyS's flying. I will attach a video from today - Part 2 of the SkyS with EZ* wing. I really wish I could get a few of you guys to fly both planes to get your opinion as to which one glides better, is more stable, power considerations, etc. It is so darn close, I can't tell the difference except , of course, the 2835-2200 has bunches more power than the stock BL. I will add the video in a few moments.
AJ
Most in the central US are digging out from 2 feet of snow and us on the east coast are freezing our canards off with cold and wind making it feel like single digits outside.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:06 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
I only have 2 Sky Surfers now - 1 with an EZ* wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Most in the central US are digging out from 2 feet of snow and us on the east coast are freezing our canards off with cold and wind making it feel like single digits outside.
I just sold my 3rd SkyS to one of the guys here on the thread that lives in the same general area that I do. I am sure he will enjoy it. Meanwhile, though, I am going to be socked in for the next three days (at least) with rain. so, It looks like a many of us will have a lot of "bench flying" time. Here is the latest picture of my wing attachment plan. This is the prototype. I plan to change the design of it more to make it lighter and add another level of security - all while making it 3g lighter. It is already 2g lighter than the rubber band method. I haven't seen anyone use the same thing yet. But, if any of you have seen this exact method then I won't claim it as my own. The rubber band method is my design and no one disputes that. This one is so simple that I am going to bet that someone has seen it before. I haven't (obviously). So, let me know if it has already been done so I can avoid making a false claim statement.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Dec 17, 2010 at 12:27 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:14 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I just sold my 3rd SkyS to one of the guys here on the thread that lives in the same general area that I do. I am sure he will enjoy it. Meanwhile, though, I am going to be socked in for the next three days (at least) with rain. so, It looks like a lot of us will have a lot of "bench flying" time. Here is the latest picture of my wing attachment plan. This is the prototype. I plan to change the design of it more to make it lighter and add another level of security - all while making it 3g lighter. It is already 2g lighter than the rubber band method. I haven't seen anyone use the same thing yet. But, if any of you have seen this exact method then I won't claim it as my own. The rubber band method is my design and no one disputes that. This one is so simple that I am going to bet that someone has seen it before. I haven't (obviously). So, let me know if it has already been done so I can avoid making a false claim statement.
AJ
AJ,

That's a new one AJ. Looks like a winner. As usual, you are a pioneer and innovator. Keep up the good work. Just make sure you use a good grade of hook and look that's reclosable. Some brands don't like repeated cycles.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:26 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

That's a new one AJ. Looks like a winner. As usual, you are a pioneer and innovator. Keep up the good work. Just make sure you use a good grade of hook and look that's reclosable. Some brands don't like repeated cycles.

Bill
Good point. I had not considered that until now. I will keep an eye on it for sure and log the times I assemble/disassemble it so I have some good documentation to work with. Thanks for the feedback.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Dec 17, 2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:39 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Good point. I had not considered that until now. I will keep an eye on it for sure and log the times I assemble/disassemble it so I have so good documentation to work with. Thanks for the feedback.
AJ
I use this from 3M.

http://www.rapidsupplies.com/3mrf704...mmmrf7040.aspx

It holds 1 lb./inch.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:15 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Hook and Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
I use this from 3M.

http://www.rapidsupplies.com/3mrf704...mmmrf7040.aspx

It holds 1 lb./inch.
Yup. That is what you are always dependable for - accurate assessment of the quality of whatever you present. I noticed that 3M avoided the use of the word "Velcro" probably for patent infringement reasons. Also, they are very proud of their velcro -$10 for 12' - wow!. HERE is what I use (tests and time pending) for now. Following your advice, I will keep a close eye on it. I am going to order a roll of THIS and try it, too.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Dec 17, 2010 at 01:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:38 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Yup. That is what you are always dependable for - accurate assessment of the quality of whatever you present. I noticed that 3M avoided the use of the word "Velcro" probably for patent infringement reasons. Also, they are very proud of their velcro -$10 for 12' - wow!. HERE is what I use (tests and time pending) for now. Following your advice, I will keep a close eye on it. I am going to order a roll of THIS and try it, too.
AJ
AJ,

Let the experiments begin. Whatever works.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:55 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Hold those wings in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
AJ,

Let the experiments begin. Whatever works.

Bill
Yup. If the wings don't fly off, it is perfect. Not like the video below on my stock EZ* with just friction holding the wing in.
AJ

Spinning wings (0 min 32 sec)
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Dec 17, 2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 06:08 AM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Yup. If the wings don't fly off, it is perfect. Not like the video below on my stock EZ* with just friction holding the wing in.
AJ
This is the result of velcro holding the wings on.
Jim

Banana Hobby / BlitzRC Sky Surfer - Jim Folds the Wings (3 min 5 sec)
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:46 AM
Registered User
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Yup. That is what you are always dependable for - accurate assessment of the quality of whatever you present. I noticed that 3M avoided the use of the word "Velcro" probably for patent infringement reasons. Also, they are very proud of their velcro -$10 for 12' - wow!. HERE is what I use (tests and time pending) for now. Following your advice, I will keep a close eye on it. I am going to order a roll of THIS and try it, too.
AJ
I've switched to the blue stuff from HK and it's much better than the black variety from the LHS. In particular, the adhesive on the back is much better. This is most apparent holding more massive objects like batteries during lawn dart maneuvers. Haven't tried the white but it looks good.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:51 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
oh.. btw.. the bevrc motor is a 1900kv
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:46 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Why we modify the spar in the Sky Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyvertigo View Post
This is the result of velcro holding the wings on.
Jim
Well, that proves that I cannot claim the Velcro idea as my own. Jim had it first. Or, certainly before me. Ah, well. I thing one important thing that he pointed out is that the Velcro saved him from a possible very nasty crash. Also, for those of you who watched the video, it shows you how important it is to have a piece of 4mm carbon fiber inside the 6mm stock spar. I would bet it would have prevented a break in his plane. But, of course, we will never know. So, HINT: Put a piece of CF in the stock spar. Do it now - that is an order!!
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:51 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Kv stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
oh.. btw.. the bevrc motor is a 1900kv
The BL upgrade for the Sky Surfer is 2000kv. I measured two different motors. One was 2082kv and the other was 2033kv. Almost always, the measured kv of a motor is higher than the rated kv. I don't know why that is that way. But, it seems to be that way on every BL motor that I have ever tested using quite a variety of Watt Meters, DVM's, Tachometers, and batteries. IMO, the actual kv of the SkyS is not nearly as important as keeping it at of below the 18A that it is rated at.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Cyber Sky Parachute (Sky Surfer) shv2sail Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 28, 2013 03:14 AM
Discussion Sky Surfer nickwayne11c Electric Plane Talk 15 Nov 18, 2011 03:36 PM
Discussion Banana Hobby Sky Surfer Problems cavy92 Electric Plane Talk 56 Nov 02, 2010 03:49 AM
Question Sky Surfer LiPo mod, help... Freight Dog Power Systems 0 Aug 17, 2006 02:45 PM
Swashplate Assembly with Center Ball; is this the swash with ball mod i want? tekforce Micro Helis 4 Feb 08, 2004 06:28 PM