SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2010, 08:53 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I went to their site and read all the specs on the 10 glues that they offer. I am guessing that you use "Plumbers" Goop mostly. Do you use/recommend any of the other ones?
I was considering throwing one of these into my basket next time I am at Amazon.com. It that an OK idea? TIA.
AJ
AJ,

It was far less scientific than you'd think. The preference is based on experimental evidence gathered after buying Plumber's Goop at Lowes. I can only recommend what I have tested. Lowes only had Plumber's Goop in stock. Others may work but I have never tested them.

Bill

I have only used and tested (with satisfaction) Plumber's Goop because that was all that was in stock at Lowe's.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:34 AM
Team Daedalus
Joined Jun 2008
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Sunset is 6:58 PM in my area so I decided to go fly the LED lighted Skysurfer in these twilight conditions. I want to gradually fly in darker and darker skys. Enjoy.

By the way, Sergio was with me when I flew. He's a pretty good helicopter pilot who wants to learn planes. He's pretty chatty. You will hear him throughout the video.

Bill

p.s., Never mind the time stamp in the video. It's off by 45 minutes. There is only so much quality you can get in a $10 key camera. I was happy with being able to have the right day and date. Having the correct time requires regular reprogramming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IikhMDw16u0
I know this is two months after you posted this. It may be the finest ground view of a flight I have ever seen. It's a real pleasure when you can see what the pilot sees from the ground! The sunset...meh,,,,, lol

Todd
Wolveslayr is offline Find More Posts by Wolveslayr
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:55 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolveslayr View Post
I know this is two months after you posted this. It may be the finest ground view of a flight I have ever seen. It's a real pleasure when you can see what the pilot sees from the ground! The sunset...meh,,,,, lol

Todd
Wolveslayr,

Thank you very much for the compliment. The conversation on the ground is real. Glad you enjoyed it. I find the music that many people add is distracting so on most videos I turn the volume off.

By the way, Sergio, the gentleman I am talking to during the flight, is really a great guy to fly with at our club.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:05 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Wings are for the birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolveslayr View Post

Todd
Yeah, I watched it again. Even though it is not completely dark, it sure shows off the bright lights of the led's.
Prof100 - did you ever get your lightweight SkyS built. I know, a long time ago, I claimed a 20.2 oz. plane or so which I am sure it was true. However, I just weighed it today and it is 22.9 oz AUW (with a few repairs). The only thing I can figure out is that the 2.7oz. must be the LG that I added on. I will probably build my next one to be a little under 20 oz. (no LG & use a 1A LiPo). I will let you know how that goes. Oh, also, I will be using an EZ* wing. Should be interesting. I have flown all the other combos - Wild Hawk, EZ*, with WH wings, EZ* wings, EZG wings, SkyS wings. But, I have never flown a Skys plane with anything but the stock wings because I glued mine in. It should be interesting. My plan is to fly the new SkyS with all 4 wing types and feel the difference between all of them. I know, I know. Claiming it is one thing. But, as always, 'If it's not on video, it didn't happen". Stay tuned.
AJ
P.S. The point of all the weight stuff above is to give you something to compare to when building yours if you haven't already.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:41 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,608 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I watched it again. Even though it is not completely dark, it sure shows off the bright lights of the led's.
Prof100 - did you ever get your lightweight SkyS built. I know, a long time ago, I claimed a 20.2 oz. plane or so which I am sure it was true. However, I just weighed it today and it is 22.9 oz AUW (with a few repairs). The only thing I can figure out is that the 2.7oz. must be the LG that I added on. I will probably build my next one to be a little under 20 oz. (no LG & use a 1A LiPo). I will let you know how that goes. Oh, also, I will be using an EZ* wing. Should be interesting. I have flown all the other combos - Wild Hawk, EZ*, with WH wings, EZ* wings, EZG wings, SkyS wings. But, I have never flown a Skys plane with anything but the stock wings because I glued mine in. It should be interesting. My plan is to fly the new SkyS with all 4 wing types and feel the difference between all of them. I know, I know. Claiming it is one thing. But, as always, 'If it's not on video, it didn't happen". Stay tuned.
AJ
P.S. The point of all the weight stuff above is to give you something to compare to when building yours if you haven't already.
AJ,

Thanks for the accurate weight benchmark.

No, I haven't built it. The last two months have been pretty hectic. My 91 year old father with dementia had a heart attack and we placed him in hospice care. Pacemaker was prescribed but he probably would have died on surgical table. He only lasted a week and passed away on my anniversary. A week later I had cataract surgery on my right eye. The cataract was just starting to get into the primary vision area and I convinced the Opthamologist to do the surgery. I stopped flying grey EDFs on partly cloudy or cloudy days because at a distance they were all but impossible to maintain orientation. There were too many instances of flying on last input on the controls.

The cataract surgery was 35 minutes long and my right eye is 20-15 in distance vision. I still need mild reading glasses.

The surgery was simple. They cut a opening and pulverize the lens with ultrasound and suck it out then insert a new lens with correction that's essentially spring loaded to stay centered. I see like a hawk in the right eye and with no astigmatism. The left eye is about two years away before the cataract migrates to the primary field of vision. Pretty remarkable. My vision was back to better than normal within 12 hours.

The above was followed by Thanksgiving, and my wife who has MS decided to re-decorate the living room which translated into long list of honey-do's. Bless her, but teamwork where we share the workload on such tasks is not an option. I am not complaining since the first 20 years of our marriage what she did for me can't be balanced out in 40 years even if I am her primary caregiver.

Just before my Dad's final days I started a Funcub. Getting that finished took over a month. I was going to start the lightweigh Skysurfer this week but my outdated desktop PC started acting up (i.e., 100% cpu utilization with no malware or viruses). I suspect a cap on the motherboard was failing. So, I bought a refurbed Dell at a local computer store (3.2 GHZ, 1 TB Hard Drive, 3 GB ran, XP Pro) for a paltry $300. The desktop is really the main hub of my home network. I use my laptop 95% of the time. So, the "new" dekstop burned up the last three nights loading software and tweaking. It's good to go. Compared to my retired 8 year old, CPU pounding, 2 GHZ machine with 1 gig of ram I think I am using a Cray. I recycled the working parts. I now have 400W power supply as a spare and couple of DVD burners which I debating throwing away.

Bill

Tomorrow we put the XMAS tree (normally done the Sunday after Thanksgiving).
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Dec 11, 2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:23 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Busy life

Quote:
AJ,

No, I haven't built it. The last two months have been pretty hectic................................. .
Wow. You have a full plate for sure. I can understand completely. You know the path I have walked the past few months. So, I can identify with a few of your life situations. . A lot of us gray haired folks have experienced the loss of a parent. But, it can be totally devastating when it happens to you. You certainly have my condolences for the loss of your father. And congratulations on the 'til death do us part' commitment. Only a small percentage of folks make to the end of the road. You have my respect and admiration for talking about your wife so lovingly.
We can talk about flying and stuff again soon. It is hard to stay on topic but hopefully the other folks on the thread will forgive my being off topic just this once for a friend.
As best as you can, have a Happy Holiday season.
AJ
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:28 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,608 Posts
Quote:
Wow. You have a full plate for sure. I can understand completely. You know the path I have walked the past few months. So, I can identify with a few of your life situations. . A lot of us gray haired folks have experienced the loss of a parent. But, it can be totally devastating when it happens to you. You certainly have my condolences for the loss of your father. And congratulations on the 'til death do us part' commitment. Only a small percentage of folks make to the end of the road. You have my respect and admiration for talking about your wife so lovingly.
We can talk about flying and stuff again soon. It is hard to stay on topic but hopefully the other folks on the thread will forgive my being off topic just this once for a friend.
AJ
AJ,

Your path has been beyond difficult and it boggles the mind how well you've navigated its challenges. Mine is just part of the darned aging process. My Dad's death was a blessing. We all have our day. He and I had talked about what to do in such a situation. It was what he wanted. The only plus is the right eye which is now bionic. My distance vision barely needed correction. So, now when I fly I do it without any glasses. I just read the Easy Star thread about Gene's loss of his friend. A sudden loss is devasting.

Keep up the good work on this thread. The hobby we have sometimes feels like an oasis.

Take care, all the best to you and yours.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:21 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Getting a little nervous

I sent the money a little over a week ago for the carton of Sky Surfers. During the buying process, I got almost instant replies to all my questions no matter how simple they were. Now, I check on line with Western Union and it shows the money picked up. Well, I have sent about 6 emails to her and guess what - no replies.... I may have gotten screwed out of the money. I don't know for sure. Of course, after the fact, I googled all the names and places that I have dealt with and put the word scam with them. Thankfully, nothing turned up. But, It has gone from minute to minute dialog with her to complete silence. I will keep you posted. But, it doesn't look good right now.
AJ
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:23 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
I hope you and GENE will have as good a holiday as possible.

Quote:
AJ,

Your path has been beyond difficult and it boggles the mind how well you've navigated its challenges. Mine is just part of the darned aging process. My Dad's death was a blessing. We all have our day. He and I had talked about what to do in such a situation. It was what he wanted. The only plus is the right eye which is now bionic. My distance vision barely needed correction. So, now when I fly I do it without any glasses. I just read the Easy Star thread about Gene's loss of his friend. A sudden loss is devasting.

Keep up the good work on this thread. The hobby we have sometimes feels like an oasis.

Take care, all the best to you and yours.

Bill
Thanks for the kind words. I am really pleased about your bionic eye. I think that is very cool to say the least.
AJ
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:24 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
I sent the money a little over a week ago for the carton of Sky Surfers. During the buying process, I got almost instant replies to all my questions no matter how simple they were. Now, I check on line with Western Union and it shows the money picked up. Well, I have sent about 6 emails to her and guess what - no replies.... I may have gotten screwed out of the money. I don't know for sure. Of course, after the fact, I googled all the names and places that I have dealt with and put the word scam with them. Thankfully, nothing turned up. But, It has gone from minute to minute dialog with her to complete silence. I will keep you posted. But, it doesn't look good right now.
AJ
It's always the darkest before the dawn.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:44 PM
KJ6RCJ
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Quote:
AJ
Hi all,

I am a lurker but I have been following this Skysurfer thread since a friend mentioned it to me. I don't have an SS yet but hopefully, with AJ's help and grace, I and my friend can finally have ours to fly.

Having said this, I can't help but ponder on the recent exchange of sentiments that are mildly off topic to the thread but is just as heartfelt. Losing someone close is devastating. When my own father died, it was as if as very hollow space dwelt inside me and it has been there eversince. But then, life goes on for me. Christmas is around the corner which adds some pain. For the Prof, I know how you feel. And I hope I grow old graciously with my wife as you are. For AJ, I also hope helping other people not for profit but for the love of service to others like you. Merry Christmas to both of you and to all the others here. May peace dwell in our homes not just this season but all throughout. Happy flying!

Gent
gent96 is offline Find More Posts by gent96
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:01 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gent96 View Post
Hi all,

I am a lurker but I have been following this Skysurfer thread since a friend mentioned it to me. I don't have an SS yet but hopefully, with AJ's help and grace, I and my friend can finally have ours to fly.

Having said this, I can't help but ponder on the recent exchange of sentiments that are mildly off topic to the thread but is just as heartfelt. Losing someone close is devastating. When my own father died, it was as if as very hollow space dwelt inside me and it has been there eversince. But then, life goes on for me. Christmas is around the corner which adds some pain. For the Prof, I know how you feel. And I hope I grow old graciously with my wife as you are. For AJ, I also hope helping other people not for profit but for the love of service to others like you. Merry Christmas to both of you and to all the others here. May peace dwell in our homes not just this season but all throughout. Happy flying!

Gent
Gent,

Thanks for the kind words. Funny apart about getting old is I don't think of myself as old.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:26 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,608 Posts
Found this stuff on the Habu thread for protecting the belly. Combat guys use it. 10 mil iron on 27" wide by 1 ft is $1.60.

http://www.canuckengineering.com/new...mil-cp-27-wide
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2010, 01:21 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
New SkyS awaiting maiden

Today, I finished building SkyS#2 (V1). It is 23.0 oz. AUW. That is because I am using a 2835-2200 motor and a 1500mah 3S1P 25C LiPo. Also, I am using a Silver EZ* wing which I plan to be permanent. Right now, it does not have any ailerons. I am going to tack glue the wings in with the idea of permanently gluing them in. I understand the risks. But, I don't crash that much any more. I plan to maiden it tomorrow. I will let you know how it works out. The reasoning behind using the EZ* wing was that I did not want to buy one from BH for any reason. I already had all the foam parts from an order a while back. My 3rd SkyS (V1) is in the box and I have no idea what I am going to do with it. I will report back on the maiden - Hopefully with a video.
AJ
Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:37 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Bad news (for me)

Oops. Don't panic. I mean just money. I took it in the shorts. You would think that after being in the computer field 45+ years, I would know better and I had all the evidence in front of me if I had only checked ANY of the information that I had. The short of it - I won't be getting any SkyS's at ALL. The money is gone. If you look at an earlier post, I thought I was dealing with one of the largest distributors in China. I know better than this. Other people might get scammed. But, not me. I am too smart for that..... Yeah, right..... Well, anyhow, I am sorry to all those folks that put their faith in me to get them a Sky Surfer. I am just glad that I didn't take any of YOUR money. Read the link below and you will see what I mean. With just about 10 minutes worth of research I found 100's of links that warn me that I am going to get screwed. But, it all seemed so legitimate. I will just warn all of you alibaba.com is in on the scams and gets a cut of them. Be careful.... I wasn't.
http://resources.alibaba.com/topic/5...hen_Qiumei.htm
AJ
P.S. Here is the email that I got. Any fool could research the names and numbers in few minutes and avoid a scam.

Hi,

That's ok, that by bank tranfer.
you can do the payment through the follow account,

the bank account:
Bank Transfer ( T/T)
THE BANK OF CHINA BRANCH
Swift Code: BKCHCNBJ73C
Payee: Chen Qiumei
Bank Account: 455230101881429498
Address:12B,Building 1, Southland Mansion,Yuanling Garden,Mid Hongling Road, Futian District,shenzhen,Guangdong China.
Zip Code: 518028

Best regards
ava