SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:31 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Ah. Got it. Thanks. I won't confuse them again. Why do you use GOOP? Time control?
Ooops. You are way ahead of me.
AJ
Simple answer as to why I use it. It can be separated with a garden variety kitchen knife without tearing up too much foam. CA usually ends up a cohesive failure of the foam.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:33 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
GOOP is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Simple answer as to why I use it. It can be separated with a garden variety kitchen knife without tearing up too much foam. CA usually ends up a cohesive failure of the foam.
That is a GREAT reason. I definitely will get some just for that if nothing else.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
Quote:
That is a GREAT reason. I definitely will get some just for that if nothing else.
AJ
I still use CA but not when I know the seam has to separated to do such things as change out a motor or ESC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:02 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,471 Posts
Quote:
GOOP is a range of adhesives which may not be available to you. Here is the website:

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/ag_adhesives.htm

I OFTEN use hot glue to repair a plane. It is quick and effective other then the weight penalty.

Bill
Also referred to as Shoe Gooo!!! I have a tube of this I use on my shoes, but never thought of using it on my planes. All I know is that has pretty nasty vapors. If you ever use this stuff make sure you have good ventilation. Otherwise, you can get a headache easily from it.
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:07 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
Also referred to as Shoe Gooo!!! I have a tube of this I use on my shoes, but never thought of using it on my planes. All I know is that has pretty nasty vapors. If you ever use this stuff make sure you have good ventilation. Otherwise, you can get a headache easily from it.
Similar but not quite as strong in terms of vapors that evaporate. I used Shoo Goo on by tennis shoes when I used to play tennis. I also found it worked well to protect the high impact zones of touring car bodies when I used to race RC cars.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2010, 02:30 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Your guidence please.

Quote:
I used to race RC cars.
Can I take one of those 8mm Shaft Adapters from HK and use a 9mm end mill in a drill press to make the hole the size I need it?
AJ
P.S. Or THIS ADAPTER?
Actually, right now, I would give a double cheeseburger for a source where I could buy those for a 9mm end bearing cap. You know what I mean, I hope. Like the two above - only 9mm in dia. - It is getting late and my eyes are done. TIA for any help or advice.
AJ
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:02 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
Quote:
Can I take one of those 8mm Shaft Adapters from HK and use a 9mm end mill in a drill press to make the hole the size I need it?
AJ
P.S. Or THIS ADAPTER?
Actually, right now, I would give a double cheeseburger for a source where I could buy those for a 9mm end bearing cap. You know what I mean, I hope. Like the two above - only 9mm in dia. - It is getting late and my eyes are done. TIA for any help or advice.
AJ
Sure, try opening it up. You just need the clearance to fit the motor. Clamp it in with set screws.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:22 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
my experience with Amazing Goop

Quote:
GOOP is a range of adhesives which may not be available to you. Here is the website:

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/ag_adhesives.htm

I OFTEN use hot glue to repair a plane. It is quick and effective other then the weight penalty.

Bill
HERE IS MY EXPERIENCE WITH AMAZING GOOP - I definitely think it's worth having some in your arsenal of tools for hobbyist. It's uses are really amazing and unique.

WHERE TO BUY: Amazing Goop is marketed under lots of different names, but I believe the same formula is used in all the "Goop" products. Because of that, you can get it at several different stores, whichever you frequent the most. I shop at Home Depot often, so I pick up the Plumber's Goop in plumbing isle.

CONSISTENCY: It's consistency when dried is similar to hard rubber, so it has some flexibility, good for places that you want to allow a little movement. It can be put on very thick, similar to what you might do with silicone caulk, and will dry from the outside it.

BONDING: It's bonding power is very good also. If you've had some issues with surfaces not sticking with CA, try this instead. To give an example, I had some sunglasses break at the hinge and I knew CA would just break again, so I used Goop instead and it worked great. The flexibility helped a lot. It does really well on plastic, metal and wood. I haven't tried foam yet.

WEIGHT: It's going to be relatively heavy, maybe similar to hot glue. I've never actually measured it's weight though. So just use it sparingly.

PAINTING: I haven't tried painting it, but it colors nicely with a permanent marker.

MESS: Don't get it on your hands. It's one of those sticky things that doesn't seem to come off your hands unless you clean it with a smelly petroleum-based cleaner. Use it carefully or use latex gloves to be safe. It comes with a little nozzle to help direct it's flow, but it's a little awkward to use. It has a consistency similar to silicone caulk, so you can sculpt it a little before it dries.

DRY TIME: It takes a while. I don't know the exact number of hours. I usually let mine dry overnight, so maybe 6 - 8 hours. The thicker it is, the longer it takes.

TRICKS:
1. If you want to add some body/strength to it, buy some mesh drywall tape (can be found at Home Depot) like this http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Dryw...1831662&sr=8-7. Wrap the area with the tape then glue over the tape.
2. You can use it to mold parts. Use some blue painters/masking tape around area you want to mold, then insert the glue inside. You can then use the tape on the area where you inserted the glue. Once dry, the painters tape just peels off.

I too have used on repairs for my RC truck.
mike_m2 is offline Find More Posts by mike_m2
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:45 PM
United States, IA, Keosauqua
Joined Sep 2010
283 Posts
I have a couple of questions about the battery charger that came with my RTF SS V1. According to the label on it the charge rate is 0.8 A and the only indicator is a LED that is red when charging, then changes to green when charge is complete.

1.) Does anyone know how the time needed to recharge a battery correlates to the mah that have been used? i.e. if it takes 1/2 hr to recharge a battery does that mean that 400mah have been depleted?

2.) The TX that came with my SS has a port for recharging. Can I use the same lipo charger to recharge Ni-Cad, Lithium, or ?? batteries in the TX?

No instructions came with the charger except a wrong statement that a green light on the charger means its charging the lipo correctly and the lipo is completely charged when the green light goes out.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob A is offline Find More Posts by Bob A
Old Dec 08, 2010, 10:48 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
I have a couple of questions about the battery charger that came with my RTF SS V1. According to the label on it the charge rate is 0.8 A and the only indicator is a LED that is red when charging, then changes to green when charge is complete.

1.) Does anyone know how the time needed to recharge a battery correlates to the mah that have been used? i.e. if it takes 1/2 hr to recharge a battery does that mean that 400mah have been depleted?

2.) The TX that came with my SS has a port for recharging. Can I use the same lipo charger to recharge Ni-Cad, Lithium, or ?? batteries in the TX?

No instructions came with the charger except a wrong statement that a green light on the charger means its charging the lipo correctly and the lipo is completely charged when the green light goes out.

Thanks,

Bob
Hey Bob, as you have discovered, the red LED indicates that it is charging and the green LED means it is done. As for your charging calculation goes, it is correct assuming we live in a perfect world. However, due to efficiency losses in the real world, it you charge for 1/2 hour it would be slightly less (10-20% possibly?).

I can't answer your question about your mystery TX port because I don't have that RTF version. However, I do have a cheapy 2.4 GHz TX that I got with another RTF plane that I have and it is NOT a port for charging the batteries. It is an interface for your computer utilizing an optional USB converter cable. This allows you to use it with your computer if you have a flight simulator software program (such as FMS).

Hope this helps. Also, if you plan on staying in the hobby, I recommend you get a different lipo balance charger. There are a slew of inexpensive chargers out there ($30-$60) that make charging your batteries a much richer experience
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:08 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Buy a new charger - Really.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post

Thanks,

Bob
1. No. Probably not. But, the only way to tell for sure is to get a charger that will report the status of the charge - before, during, and after.

2. NO. You would toast the charger or the battery pack or BOTH. Of course, if you used a LiPo battery pack in your transmitter, then you could use your LiPo charger for both the in-flight pack and the xmitter pack.

For right now, I would recommend THIS charger that can handle anything and everything that you currently have. And, the price is definitely right ($23). It is without a doubt, the most bang for the buck that is available IMO).
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Dec 08, 2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Add Link
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:36 AM
UK south
Joined Dec 2007
183 Posts
Sky Surfer in the UK...

I don't know if this is of any use to you but I just phoned a bloke from BRC Hobbies who tells me that he's expecting a delivery of Sky Surfers today. He will phone me back if they arrive. The link is: BRC
I will, of course, post back here if he phones me.

Hope this might be of some use!

Steve.

I've also just rung Sussex Model Centre who haven't got any in but who say they could get one in tomorrow. The link is SMC

You all seem to have such problems getting hold of them so you might want to take a look and get in touch with these places? Assuming it's the right model and I haven't made a mistake etc etc etc.
mataub is offline Find More Posts by mataub
Last edited by mataub; Dec 09, 2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2010, 06:44 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by mataub View Post
I don't know if this is of any use to you but I just phoned a bloke from BRC Hobbies who tells me that he's expecting a delivery of Sky Surfers today. He will phone me back if they arrive. The link is: BRC
I will, of course, post back here if he phones me.

Hope this might be of some use!

Steve.

I've also just rung Sussex Model Centre who haven't got any in but who say they could get one in tomorrow. The link is SMC

You all seem to have such problems getting hold of them so you might want to take a look and get in touch with these places? Assuming it's the right model and I haven't made a mistake etc etc etc.
Over there, you have those two sources. We have BEVRC.com and banana hobby.com. and me. Well, BEVRC is a great place to deal with but they are out of them, too. BH has Version 1 in stock but they are horrible to do business with. I hope they improve. But, for right now, they are circling the drain once again. Then, there is me. I am waiting right now for a carton of 12 Sky Surfers to arrive. 17 of them are spoken for already (I need some help with my math or more planes). So, the race is on. BEVRC ordered some, too. I do not plan on going into the hobby business because I am retired and it is FAR too competitive. Ah, well, I am glad that you have a couple of great places to get the SkyS even if they are out of them for now.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Dec 09, 2010 at 06:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old Dec 09, 2010, 06:48 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
STick to it.

Quote:
Similar but not quite as strong in terms of vapors that evaporate. I used Shoo Goo on by tennis shoes when I used to play tennis. I also found it worked well to protect the high impact zones of touring car bodies when I used to race RC cars.
I went to their site and read all the specs on the 10 glues that they offer. I am guessing that you use "Plumbers" Goop mostly. Do you use/recommend any of the other ones?
I was considering throwing one of these into my basket next time I am at Amazon.com. It that an OK idea? TIA.
AJ
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:14 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
I went to their site and read all the specs on the 10 glues that they offer. I am guessing that you use "Plumbers" Goop mostly. Do you use/recommend any of the other ones?
I was considering throwing one of these into my basket next time I am at Amazon.com. It that an OK idea? TIA.
AJ
I use the original all purpose.

Can't wait to get one of those SS you promised me.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Last edited by 2500GENE; Dec 09, 2010 at 07:46 PM.