HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:22 PM
Joined Nov 2009
719 Posts
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=28148

this is the glue i used for my first ES ,no other experience i have with glue for the foam ,but if use the wrong glue, it work like an acid that i know
mastmalang70 is offline Find More Posts by mastmalang70
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:28 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastmalang70 View Post
this is what i got along in the package 5 min epoxy ,4 oz (113g) each

Is CA is safe with the foam ,i have CA medium from HK
That's OK epoxy. It should work, you just have to work fast and not get yourself a problem with premature setting. When I glued my fuselage together I used Plumbers Goop which still permits separating it later if you need to service anything.

I use Foam safe CA on as many foamies as I can. Always try out a glue before committing. Only Muliplex Elapor requires regular CA.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:42 PM
Joined Nov 2009
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
That's OK epoxy. It should work, you just have to work fast and not get yourself a problem with premature setting. When I glued my fuselage together I used Plumbers Goop which still permits separating it later if you need to service anything.

I use Foam safe CA on as many foamies as I can. Always try out a glue before committing. Only Muliplex Elapor requires regular CA.
Only problem i got with zacki elapor when i bought along with my ES it works well and after the month when i used to repair some damage it seems not effecient any more at the end i used hot glue ,may be because i put in the friged to keep it fresh , how you guys do it keep it for long peroid and it stays fresh

what is plumber goop??????????
Old Dec 07, 2010, 03:47 PM
Joined Nov 2009
719 Posts
On the other hand im thinking of using neodymium magnets to hold the fuselage what you guys think about it ?????? are these gonna hold good

http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...st.dwt&gcat=90
Old Dec 07, 2010, 04:06 PM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,343 Posts
Quote:
On the other hand im thinking of using neodymium magnets to hold the fuselage what you guys think about it ?????? are these gonna hold good

While magnets will probably work, they are heavy especially in the quantity you would probably need. They're OK for wings using 4 or 6.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Dec 07, 2010, 05:42 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
Glue.

Quote:
Is the glue come along with the package any good or have to buy somthing else???????????
I built my v2 with medium CA from Hobby King. I had no problems with the build.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Dec 07, 2010, 06:11 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,263 Posts
Quote:
Only problem i got with zacki elapor when i bought along with my ES it works well and after the month when i used to repair some damage it seems not effecient any more at the end i used hot glue ,may be because i put in the friged to keep it fresh , how you guys do it keep it for long peroid and it stays fresh

what is plumber goop??????????
GOOP is a range of adhesives which may not be available to you. Here is the website:

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/ag_adhesives.htm

I OFTEN use hot glue to repair a plane. It is quick and effective other then the weight penalty.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:04 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:

Too much weight IMO.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:06 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
glue

Quote:
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=28148

this is the glue i used for my first ES ,no other experience i have with glue for the foam ,but if use the wrong glue, it work like an acid that i know
I used that for a while. But, the shelf life is about 2 weeks and then, it won't even stick my fingers together. I don't like it.
AJ
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:06 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,263 Posts
Quote:

There is no need for making the fuselage halves that easy to separate. Magnets are adding weight you don't need like AJ said.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:08 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,263 Posts
My swarm motors arrived today from Hobbyking. Now all I need is 9 planes to fit them all into and fly them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:16 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Gotta love those glue guns

Quote:
GOOP is a range of adhesives which may not be available to you. Here is the website:

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/ag_adhesives.htm

I OFTEN use hot glue to repair a plane. It is quick and effective other then the weight penalty.

Bill
I have to say, I have never used GOOP. But, it seems that everyone who has used it, loves it. I am kinda like you. 95% of my gluing stuff is with CA, 5-minute epoxy, and hot glue. The other 5% is mostly Gorilla Glue of some kind. I have a hunch that Gorilla glue is like GOOP. Is that sorta, kinda true? I am sure you use both the Gorilla and the GOOP. I guess you could say I have a glue gun addiction problem. I have 2 types/sizes in the garage workshop, 2 in my house workshop, and 4 in my car - Yes, 8 altogether. But, the ones in the car are the best - a 12v (cigarette lighter type), A mini 6v (4AA cells), A butane GG (My Favorite - 27 secs from piezo lite to apply glue), and a 110v gun that I can use with my converter. You can see my problem. But, I am ready to Glue anything together day or nite. Even now, it is hard to go into any store that has them and resist buying another one.
AJ
P.S. Two years ago, I didn't think I would ever use even one.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:24 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
HK Swarm

Quote:
My swarm motors arrived today from Hobbyking. Now all I need is 9 planes to fit them all into and fly them.
I was going to feel bad. But, I realize that I was in two swarms. One on 11/28 and 12/4. I just got all the motors and stuff from the 11/28 swarm. It arrived yesterday late. I just opened it today. I ordered 7 motors in all. How many did you take the dive for?.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Dec 07, 2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: ADD Pic
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:25 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I have to say, I have never used GOOP. But, it seems that everyone who has used it, loves it. I am kinda like you. 95% of my gluing stuff is with CA, 5-minute epoxy, and hot glue. The other 5% is mostly Gorilla Glue of some kind. I have a hunch that Gorilla glue is like GOOP. Is that sorta, kinda true? I am sure you use both the Gorilla and the GOOP. I guess you could say I have a glue gun addiction problem. I have 2 types/sizes in the garage workshop, 2 in my house workshop, and 4 in my car - Yes, 8 altogether. But, the ones in the car are the best - a 12v (cigarette lighter type), A mini 6v (4AA cells), A butane GG (My Favorite - 27 secs from piezo lite to apply glue), and a 110v gun that I can use with my converter. You can see my problem. But, I am ready to Glue anything together day or nite. Even now, it is hard to go into any store that has them and resist buying another one.
AJ
P.S. Two years ago, I didn't think I would ever use even one.
AJ,

Goop is nothing like Gorilla glue (polyurethane). It is closer to silicone RTV but more solvent based. It is a thick contact adhesive. Below is how to use it from their website:

Just follow these step-by-step directions when using Amazing GOOP®:

Please read all directions before using. Amazing GOOP should be used in a well-ventilated area.
Surface should be clean, dry, and free from dirt. For best results, roughen surface before use. Best when used between 70° F (21° C) and 85° F (29° C).

Puncture the seal at the top of the tube using the pointer cap.

Always test a small area to ensure proper application technique and dry time. Prolonged exposure to warm water may cause discoloration and possible loss of adhesion when exposed to chemicals used in hot tubs and pools, especially in outdoor locations. Amazing GOOP may be weakened by contact with certain highly plasticized materials.

Apply Amazing GOOP directly to each surface to be bonded or repaired. Allow Amazing GOOP to partially cure, 2-10 minutes, before bringing surfaces together. Amazing GOOP hardens by solvent evaporation and forms an immediate bond that is difficult to reposition after both adhesive-coated surfaces are placed in contact with each other and sufficient pressure is exerted to establish full contact.

Allow the repair to dry for 24 hours. Depending on the materials and the temperature maximum strength may not be reached for 48 to 72 hours. Cure time increases with lower temperatures and decreases with higher temperatures.

Keep threads at the neck of the tube free of Amazing GOOP residue. To ensure easy cap removal, apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly to the threads of the tube before replacing the cap.

Clean uncured adhesive with small amounts of acetone or naphtha; the adhesive will ball up and brush off.

Cured material may be removed by cutting or scraping.

Store unused Amazing GOOP at room temperature with cap tightened.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:28 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Goop your Gorilla

Quote:
AJ,

Goop is nothing like Gorilla glue (polyurethane). It is closer to silicone RTV but more solvent based. It is a thick contact adhesive.

Bill
Ah. Got it. Thanks. I won't confuse them again. Why do you use GOOP? Time control?
Ooops. You are way ahead of me. I guess I will have to try it and see if it works for me as well as it does for everyone else.
AJ