HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2010, 04:26 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Spray foam would make it too heavy(and would probably change the C.G.).How about running a couple carbon fiber rods...
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2010, 05:01 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon View Post
Spray foam would make it too heavy(and would probably change the C.G.).How about running a couple carbon fiber rods...
How about some white beaded foam shaped to fit the back? The spray foam doesn't really weigh that much, does it? Would the CG problem be fixed if I just moved the battery all the way to the nose?
kyle7119 is offline Find More Posts by kyle7119
Old May 12, 2010, 05:08 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7119 View Post
How about some white beaded foam shaped to fit the back? The spray foam doesn't really weigh that much, does it? Would the CG problem be fixed if I just moved the battery all the way to the nose?
Dont know if "white beaded foam" would do what your trying to accomplish .
Spray foam(the kind that expands) IS heavy.Dont forget the AUW is only 22 ozs.Moving the Batt. will adjust the C.G. to where u want it.Also on that spray foam...Once it hardens u will need a dynomite to remove it(if u have to get inside for something. And IT might even eat the foam the plane is made of.
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old May 12, 2010, 07:27 PM
Parma, Ohio
Joined May 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I wanted to have my sky surfer finnished tonight and maidened tomorrow, but sadly I couldn't quite get it finnished. All that is left is to finalize electronic placement, set cg and program my radio, but it's getting late and I don't want to rush through it just to get it done. Anyway here are a few pictures of my fuse and wing mods.
When I was first learning to fly on an ez star, I installed two 4mm carbon rods down both sides of the fuse the whole length of the cockpit to strengthen the nose so that it would survive the inevitable crashes and it served it's pupose very well. I nosed that ez star in quite a few times, I even flew it at half throttle straight into a brick wall (it's maiden flight) and never broke the nose off, or bent it so bad that the canopy wouldn't fit correctly. since I now have alot more experience, I don't feel the need to do such extensive reinforcements, but I did decide to add some carbon rod just below the canopy opening, just to strengthen it in case one of those freak wind gusts come along just as it's about to land and cause the skysurfer to stall and nose into the ground. I really don't know how effective this mod would be, so time will tell (but I really don't want to find out)

Also when test fitting the wings, They fit the fuse tightly, but they were not very tight on the wing spar. I think the posibility of the wings comming off in flight is a strong posibility, so some sort of wing retention is in order. although I have used both magnets and velcro without issue, I decided to try a different method, and this time went with the kitchen cabinet latch mod. The cabinet latch mod was easily installed and very effective.
Antennahead, right where your CF rods end at the back of the hatch (as per your pictures) is where mine cracked. It actually raked the whole fuse forward of the hatch to the side a little and I didn't hit all that hard in soft ground and high grass. That spot is the weakest part of the whole fuse. I plan to put CF rods on the outside on both sides starting just forward of the hatch, extending past that section a few inches. I'm afraid if I take another good hit, it would break the fuse in half at that spot if I don't mod it. But you probably fly a lot better than I do LOL

Ron
Ron RC is offline Find More Posts by Ron RC
Old May 12, 2010, 07:27 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon View Post
That is what antennahead and I did (probably others, too).
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; May 12, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old May 12, 2010, 07:32 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7119 View Post
Anything that might be accomplished with adding foam can be done better with CF rods for reinforcing the fuselage which I agree is needed. Foam does not make any sense for any application. Plus, as pointed out, if you ever wanted to use that space later, you would have to buy a new plane. I am having a hard time visualizing any use for foam that would be the only way to accomplish whatever objective was wanted.

I flew my SkyS today with the LG modification. I love it. It performed above my expectations. Since then, I have several other ideas on how to made it more pleasing to the eyes and a bit lighter and stronger. I am going to do a newer design on my Hawk Sky since it is nearly the same plane. I will keep everyone posted. Oh, I took videos on my Flip Mino. It has a nasty little habit of hanging up when I hit the stop record button. So, right now, it is frozen up and I am hoping that it will save the video as the battery dies (fingers crossed). I will know in a couple of hours. If not, I will have to retake another video. It was windy today also (10-15). So, the landings were not perfect and only one silly crash.
AJ
UPDATE: Today is my lucky day. With a lot of patience and a bit of work, I recovered the video of the LG in action.

SkyS LG.AVI (7 min 12 sec)
Last edited by ajbaker; May 13, 2010 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Add the movie
Old May 12, 2010, 10:34 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Lg #2

Here is an LG mod that I did on a Hawk Sky. The LG holder came from a busted up Wild Hawk that I had in my scrap pile. I still could do better. I have a couple more ideas. The pics show what I am after. I want have it stock or with LG and still have a nice looking plane. I guess the point is that I am sort of an LG sort of guy. But, having it both ways would be the optimal. antennahead-come on, show off your skills and show me (us) how it is done. Or, if any of you have any suggestions or other planes that might help my limited designing abilities, I would love to hear/see them. My building skills are OK (for me). My designing skills are terrible and unacceptable (for me).
AJ
BTW- The red servos you see are $2/ea (+~$1 shipping) from here. I buy them 20 at a time. If a gear strips (only happened once because of a crash), I don't bother fixing them - just toss 'em. They are the same as the HXT900 from HK (HK is 1g heavier).
Last edited by ajbaker; May 12, 2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Add servo pic
Old May 13, 2010, 02:26 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Aj why don't you try foam wheels + a small string holding the landing gears.. it will reduce bounce
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old May 13, 2010, 10:30 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
Aj why don't you try foam wheels + a small string holding the landing gears.. it will reduce bounce
Great suggestion. I will try it today and report back. I have many wheels in stock and I use THESE occasionally. Thanks for the input.
AJ
Old May 13, 2010, 07:00 PM
BH CSR
Joined Mar 2010
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Here is an LG mod that I did on a Hawk Sky. The LG holder came from a busted up Wild Hawk that I had in my scrap pile. I still could do better. I have a couple more ideas. The pics show what I am after. I want have it stock or with LG and still have a nice looking plane. I guess the point is that I am sort of an LG sort of guy. But, having it both ways would be the optimal. antennahead-come on, show off your skills and show me (us) how it is done. Or, if any of you have any suggestions or other planes that might help my limited designing abilities, I would love to hear/see them. My building skills are OK (for me). My designing skills are terrible and unacceptable (for me).
AJ
BTW- The red servos you see are $2/ea (+~$1 shipping) from here. I buy them 20 at a time. If a gear strips (only happened once because of a crash), I don't bother fixing them - just toss 'em. They are the same as the HXT900 from HK (HK is 1g heavier).
This is VERY cool! Thank you so much for sharing!
Saralyn C. is offline Find More Posts by Saralyn C.
Old May 14, 2010, 01:13 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Landing Gear

I put foam wheels on my SkyS and they work great. Check out the video. Lots of TO's and Landing's. The last landing is pretty funny. It is football flying at its best.
AJ
New Wheels.AVI (4 min 59 sec)
Old May 14, 2010, 01:28 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralyn C. View Post
This is VERY cool! Thank you so much for sharing!
Thank you for you kind words. My original objective (starting 2 years ago) was to find an exact (as possible) clone of the EZ*. The EZ* needs a larger rudder (before maiden) and ailerons added shortly thereafter to make a decent beginner plane. The SkyS has both already built into it. So, IMO, for beginners (and intermediate) folks, it is even better than the original EZ*. . Needless to say, I have met and exceeded my expectations. I have already shared it with several other threads. Another big deal is that it is 1/2 the price of an EZ*. I have always thought that Multiplex got too much money for their plane (even though it is a great plane). The SkyS is a well built RTF (or ARF) and less $$$ than even competitive planes. I hope you sell thousands of them and that your customer service continues on its current positive path.
AJ
P.S. Now...... about getting some SkyS wings in stock........
Old May 14, 2010, 04:45 AM
Joined Feb 2010
1,672 Posts
Quote:
P.S. Now...... about getting some SkyS wings in stock........
2nd that
Doushiyou12 is offline Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old May 14, 2010, 07:05 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,274 Posts
Quote:
antennahead-come on, show off your skills and show me (us) how it is done.

Sorry aj, no skills for landing gear in my workshop, I like mine nakid.........

But.........if I were to do it, I would put a single wheel in the center of the fuse like on full scale sailplanes.
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old May 14, 2010, 07:23 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
Antennahead, right where your CF rods end at the back of the hatch (as per your pictures) is where mine cracked. It actually raked the whole fuse forward of the hatch to the side a little and I didn't hit all that hard in soft ground and high grass. That spot is the weakest part of the whole fuse. I plan to put CF rods on the outside on both sides starting just forward of the hatch, extending past that section a few inches. I'm afraid if I take another good hit, it would break the fuse in half at that spot if I don't mod it. But you probably fly a lot better than I do LOL

Ron
Yea, I don't expect it to stand up to a hard nose in, and I would have gone further back, but the servos were in the way, but hopefully my flying has progressed to the point that I won't have any nose in's but you never know??
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead