HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2010, 02:12 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
So I stayed up late friday night to finish up the mods to my sky surfer, for a maiden today, but the weather isn't playing nice. tomorrow is looking nice , but it's mothers day, so no flying. I guess I'll just run around the house holding my sky surfer while making airplane noises...........

Anyway, here's some pics of the final mods.
The UMM is really, really a nice piece of work. I am very impressed. I am, however, a little concerned with the gyro mount system. It just looks precarious to me. If it ever came loose, there is nothing to prevent a crash. I wish I could talk you into placing them more securely inside the fuselage somewhere. There is a ton of room inside and with your already proven design accomplishments, I would like to see something safer. I would very much hate to see you crash such great work because of a mount failure. Just my .02 worth. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2010, 02:20 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
GYROS??? !!!!!

Now you gonna say to the plane.. "FETCH" and it will get you birds parrots and whatever it can get from the air...

It was supposed to be an easy plane to fly.. why install gyros anw?
I use gyros in a lot of my gliders just to eliminate/minimize the effect of a small wind gusts when landing. The gyros can act at least 100 times faster than I can and it is cheap insurance from ground loops or a stall crash 1-2' above the ground. IMO, it has saved me from that type of damage many times. A pitch gyro is certainly not mandatory by any means. But, for an old man like me, it is a nice crutch to handle landing variables requiring lightning quick responses.
AJ
Old May 09, 2010, 02:50 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
The UMM is really, really a nice piece of work. I am very impressed. I am, however, a little concerned with the gyro mount system. It just looks precarious to me. If it ever came loose, there is nothing to prevent a crash. I wish I could talk you into placing them more securely inside the fuselage somewhere. There is a ton of room inside and with your already proven design accomplishments, I would like to see something safer. I would very much hate to see you crash such great work because of a mount failure. Just my .02 worth. As always, I reserve the right to be wrong.
AJ
Thanks aj, I think I am going to have to make something a little better. the glue I used on the magnets only lasted a couple of tests before they broke free from the fuse. Can't really find a glue that will hold these strong magnets to the foam. but I still want easy access to the gyros for adjustments, and I will be removing them in the future as I am only going to use them for AP and for cause and effect testing before installing them in a much larger plane. mabey I should mount them to some ply, and velcro that to the floor of the plane I have plenty of time to think this through as a maiden flight doesn't seem to be anytime before next weekend
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old May 09, 2010, 02:58 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
GYROS??? !!!!!

Now you gonna say to the plane.. "FETCH" and it will get you birds parrots and whatever it can get from the air...

It was supposed to be an easy plane to fly.. why install gyros anw?
Sorry pav, missed your post. the main reason why I installed the gyros is to make the plane fly smoother when I have a video camera on board. the secondary reason is to make flying in gusting winds easier.
Old May 09, 2010, 07:39 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,443 Posts
Quote:
Thanks aj, I think I am going to have to make something a little better. the glue I used on the magnets only lasted a couple of tests before they broke free from the fuse. Can't really find a glue that will hold these strong magnets to the foam. but I still want easy access to the gyros for adjustments, and I will be removing them in the future as I am only going to use them for AP and for cause and effect testing before installing them in a much larger plane. mabey I should mount them to some ply, and velcro that to the floor of the plane I have plenty of time to think this through as a maiden flight doesn't seem to be anytime before next weekend
Antenna,

I use hot glue to hold rare earth magnets to foam. So far, it hasn't failed yet.

Bob
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old May 09, 2010, 08:02 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
I had them pull out of my EZ wings a few times so
I roughed up the back and sides of the magnets with sandpaper, used a mess of hot glue(like Bob said) and covered it with a strip of packing tape.
Seems every every little thing to do helps them hold to the foam a bit better.

or you could just use a 6" c-clamp.

Q
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Last edited by 2500GENE; May 10, 2010 at 05:26 AM.
Old May 09, 2010, 08:25 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Definitions

To everyone. Per a PM request, I posted the definitions of various plane configurations before assembly in Post #2 of this thread. Since we would all like them to be correct, please review them and let me know what changes are needed. TIA. Also, note change in Post #3-UMM for the SkyS by antennahead is posted. I am almost finished with the LG for the SkyS and I will post it there, too (until someone builds a better setup and mine gets the boot).
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; May 09, 2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old May 09, 2010, 10:49 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Landing Gear Mod

The LG is done. There are several "right" ways to add LG. This is just my simple effort. I am sure someone will come up with a better or easier way. This is much, much better than a similar design that I used on an EZ* and it tore out the bottom of the fuselage (repairable, of course).
AJ
Old May 11, 2010, 11:51 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,255 Posts
Nice job on the landing gear aj!!!

Well, since I'm not going to maiden mine until this weekend, I was going through all my radio settings and was wondering if anyone has any recomendations for aileron control surface throws???
Old May 12, 2010, 06:03 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:

Well, since I'm not going to maiden mine until this weekend, I was going through all my radio settings and was wondering if anyone has any recomendations for aileron control surface throws???
Yes, make sure they are not reversed.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old May 12, 2010, 06:17 AM
Joined Feb 2010
1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Yes, make sure they are not reversed.
LOL true.

yesterday i went flying to a new field, flew it into a scoreboard and this thing just takes a beaten. its a great plane. small dent thats all,

I configured the skys to have flaperons, and test flew it yesterday, it just hangs in the air, its awesome.
Doushiyou12 is offline Find More Posts by Doushiyou12
Old May 12, 2010, 06:19 AM
Joined Aug 2009
2,041 Posts
Has anyone tried filling the inside of the fuselage with pieces of foam or some of the spray-can insulation foam?
kyle7119 is offline Find More Posts by kyle7119
Old May 12, 2010, 10:28 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7119 View Post
Has anyone tried filling the inside of the fuselage with pieces of foam or some of the spray-can insulation foam?
Why?
AJ
Old May 12, 2010, 10:29 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
526 Posts
Quote:

I set my throws slightly less than what is specified for my Multiplex EZ Glider Pro...don't know how well it works yet as I have not had a chance to maiden the plane.

Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old May 12, 2010, 04:23 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Why?
AJ
Because the fuselage is completely hollow. The multiplex easy star fuselage has at least some support inside it. I am just afraid that I would crack the fuselage on the first hard landing if it didn't have some sort of support in it.
kyle7119 is offline Find More Posts by kyle7119