SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:48 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
LOL - I almost forgot to look at the 2nd picture too!!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:45 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
The engine mount looks worth having and very simple to install. . I ordered one. Thanks for the link.

I maidened my Bix ARF with standard motor today from my small field and the launch and flight went fine, though the field is obviously too small and sooner or later I am going to smack it into the trees if I don't wait for the club field to open in a month which of course I won't be able to do..
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:45 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Hey guys, just thought I would show you this new motor mount for our beloved Bixler/Skysurfer!!
Here-:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t_Upgrade.html

LURCH
Awesome... Thanks.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:01 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Awesome... Thanks.
AJ
I don't like it.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:04 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I don't like it.
You don't like mom, apple pie or Chevrolet either, so PFFFTTT! Just go buy some for doggie toys.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:20 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
You don't like mom, apple pie or Chevrolet either, so PFFFTTT! Just go buy some for doggie toys.

Ted
I like pie.

It's a piece of crap. You can make that in 30 seconds with some thin ply...and if you take your time, more aerodynamic. Sure it's cheap at 3 bucks but it's probably $17 shipping from China. It looks like someone designed it during an office party as a joke.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:40 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
I like pie.

It's a piece of crap. You can make that in 30 seconds with some thin ply...and if you take your time, more aerodynamic. Sure it's cheap at 3 bucks but it's probably $17 shipping from China. It looks like someone designed it during an office party as a joke.
I like to have been to one of your office parties.

The metal plate looks ok but I do not like those wooden wafers. They can warp or break. I would have preferred a schedule 20 plastic or metal tube.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:11 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I like to have been to one of your office parties.

The metal plate looks ok but I do not like those wooden wafers. They can warp or break. I would have preferred a schedule 20 plastic or metal tube.
Yeah, it's crap.
I haven't seen that much useless crap since Ted gave a tour of his double wide..
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:15 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
I ordered one. Shipping is not much. I like the way it would seem to preserve the same angles as the stick motor mount, which seems more precise than gluing some type of cylinder inside the foam. As to warping, if one were to screw all the wafers to the original motor mount and then drip some CA between the wafers they should be fine. I'll have to see what the plate itself looks like.

One thing about the kit motor mount: it is weak at the hole right below the mount itself. Mine snapped there after a very, very mild crash (basically a power off throw glide). I did have a bigger than stock motor but still. I made a new mount out of plywood. I would reinforce the stock mount using CF or thin plywood to add strenth to where that hole is.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:23 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
I ordered one. Shipping is not much. I like the way it would seem to preserve the same angles as the stick motor mount, which seems more precise than gluing some type of cylinder inside the foam. As to warping, if one were to screw all the wafers to the original motor mount and then drip some CA between the wafers they should be fine. I'll have to see what the plate itself looks like.

One thing about the kit motor mount: it is weak at the hole right below the mount itself. Mine snapped there after a very, very mild crash (basically a power off throw glide). I did have a bigger than stock motor but still. I made a new mount out of plywood. I would reinforce the stock mount using CF or thin plywood to add strenth to where that hole is.
Don't try to sweet talk me. It's crap. You could make a ply wood version of that in 45 seconds standing on your head with 1 eye closed left handed.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:16 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
I don't like it.

+1 DJ
were you there today? The gathering of Giants, the biggest event of our year.
If not there were 200 airplanes and 2000 people and we still had room for more.

We have another full day tomorrow officially from 9 to 3 but informerly will be there at 6:38 AM. Eugene, I'm the character wearing a black beret.

Is this off-topic?

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:34 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post

+1 DJ
were you there today? The gathering of Giants, the biggest event of our year.
If not there were 200 airplanes and 2000 people and we still had room for more.

We have another full day tomorrow officially from 9 to 3 but informerly will be there at 6:38 AM. Eugene, I'm the character wearing a black beret.

Is this off-topic?

DJ
No, I forgot all about it. I spent the day re-wiring my sprinklers and running a new water line to the back yard. Maybe I'll try to stop over tomorrow but believe me, you don't want to talk or be around me at 6:38am on a Sunday...no offense.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:16 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post

Ted
You tell 'em.....
Ok. I have a question for you specifically about gliding that I honestly do not know the answer to (go ahead, get your jabs in now). So, here goes:
My SkyS (1400mm) has a wing loading of 9.44oz./sq.ft.
My Super Sky Surfer (2400mm) has a wing loading fo 9.46oz./sq.ft. (negligible difference).
The SSS lands faster than the the SkyS.(exactly the same wing design-just longer)
I expected them to land about the same speed. Is that reasonable?
A step further:
Obviously, a Cessna 172 (or whatever) has some wing loading that is probably not in oz./sq.ft. At what point does wing loading in our RC planes become tough to compare with "real" planes? I know this is a very broad question that depends on wing design just for starters. Please explain. If you choose not to answer, I understand. But, if so, TIA
AJ
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:25 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
You tell 'em.....
Ok. I have a question for you specifically about gliding that I honestly do not know the answer to (go ahead, get your jabs in now). So, here goes:
My SkyS (1400mm) has a wing loading of 9.44oz./sq.ft.
My Super Sky Surfer (2400mm) has a wing loading fo 9.46oz./sq.ft. (negligible difference).
The SSS lands faster than the the SkyS.(exactly the same wing design-just longer)
I expected them to land about the same speed. Is that reasonable?
AJ,
Looks like you have different AoA due to different CoG in % to MAC. Isn't it?
If CoG moved to LE plane is slow, if moved to TE plane is fast. IMHO
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999
Old Mar 17, 2013, 02:25 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio9999 View Post
AJ,
Looks like you have different AoA due to different CoG in % to MAC. Isn't it?
If CoG moved to LE plane is slow, if moved to TE plane is fast. IMHO
The MAC is proportional in both. But, I see your where you are headed. I haven't figured out if the CG is the same % of MAC. I will measure that out later.
AJ