SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:36 PM
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
Is your CG correct? I know mine does this when i have my bigger battery in and its sitting a little noseheavy.
Yeah it is. It only started this few days. It has been the same configuration since day 1. Same battery etc.
junjian is offline Find More Posts by junjian
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:13 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junjian View Post
Yeah it is. It only started this few days. It has been the same configuration since day 1. Same battery etc.
Alright.. are you placing the battery in the same location? you might want to make some marks on the undersides of the wings to mark the CG, so you can check it every time you fly.

Have you noticed if you are having to hold more up elevator?
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
Alright.. are you placing the battery in the same location? you might want to make some marks on the undersides of the wings to mark the CG, so you can check it every time you fly.

Have you noticed if you are having to hold more up elevator?
Yup, in the same location.

I have to apply more pitch up now. I really dono what is going on man.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:36 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Yup, in the same location.

I have to apply more pitch up now. I really dono what is going on man.
Perhaps you are launching with more throttle then before since you are becoming more accustom to the plane. The motors thrust will push the nose down before the air speed over the wings can compensate with lift.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:12 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Perhaps you are launching with more throttle then before since you are becoming more accustom to the plane. The motors thrust will push the nose down before the air speed over the wings can compensate with lift.

I noticed whenever I started flying the Bixler two and hand launching it any too much power would try to drive the plane into the ground much more so than my original Bixler one. Playing around with it, throwing it with no power but full control and letting it land and trimming it that once trimed I can throw it for glide and come in on the power gently and fly right off into the sky. That motor pushes down really hard!

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:09 PM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
312 Posts
My 2 cents.
I use flaps during launch. When Bixler have got enough speed I retract them to have clear wing.
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:19 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio9999 View Post
My 2 cents.
I use flaps during launch. When Bixler have got enough speed I retract them to have clear wing.

I've got mine set up on a three position switch for. Launch, includes no elevator and is about 15. Land, 25 and some dialed in down elevator. I haven't flown that program yet. But that doesn't work something like it will.

DJ
BTW: I think flaps rock!
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:02 AM
Joined Sep 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post

I've got mine set up on a three position switch for. Launch, includes no elevator and is about 15. Land, 25 and some dialed in down elevator. I haven't flown that program yet. But that doesn't work something like it will.

DJ
BTW: I think flaps rock!
I used 3 pos. switch for flaps originally. But with installation of APM 2.5 I need it together with 2 pos. switch for switching 6 modes on it. Flaps I moved on potentiometer on left side of transmitter. Don't remember it's original purpose. So now I can slowly deploy and rectract flaps. I didn't mix them with elevator.

As for flaps itself they do what they designed for. It's more than enough for me.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:57 AM
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
But mine doesnt have flaps. Which version is it then?

I will take both the advice and trying launching with more throttle and again with less throttle and updates you guys later after flying. Thanks for the help guys.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:46 AM
Joined Sep 2012
312 Posts
Flaps

Quote:
But mine doesnt have flaps. Which version is it then?

I will take both the advice and trying launching with more throttle and again with less throttle and updates you guys later after flying. Thanks for the help guys.
I cut them from default wing. Dimentions are exactly the same as ailerons. I have to solder one servo to reverse it or you can purchase servo reverser. Both flaps servos connected via Y-cable to one channel. Photo should be self explanatory. Some versions of Bixler have a not cut (optional) flaps.

Name: 20130303_123704.jpg
Views: 84
Size: 284.2 KB
Description:
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:58 AM
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
I cut them from default wing. Dimentions are exactly the same as ailerons. I have to solder one servo to reverse it or you can purchase servo reverser. Both flaps servos connected via Y-cable to one channel. Photo should be self explanatory. Some versions of Bixler have a not cut (optional) flaps.

Attachment 5581593
Yup yup. Your photos helps. And I just launched with full throttle. It still nose dives even in no wind condition.
I had to wait for the wind to pick up, throw into the wind before I can barely keep it off the ground.

I also flew much higher like you said. It feels so much better. And more fun. Hahaha. I will upload the video later.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:56 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,287 Posts
Quote:

Attachment 5581593
FYI- you don't need to reverse any servo if you place the servos so they both face the same way!!
If you are cutting the pockets out to put servos in, just cut them both the same way (as in the servo arms "both" on the left side of the servo).

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
Tried flying higher today. It allows for time and altitude to correct for error. Look at the 0:23sec, I was hit by a sudden gust and it rolled my aircraft into a diagonal 'loop'. Lucky I was high so managed to recover it.
Flying Higher Today (0 min 34 sec)
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:01 AM
Joined Sep 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
FYI- you don't need to reverse any servo if you place the servos so they both face the same way!!
If you are cutting the pockets out to put servos in, just cut them both the same way (as in the servo arms "both" on the left side of the servo).

LURCH
I know that, thanks! But I want to make a nice looking plane with symmetrical installations.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:12 AM
Joined Sep 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Tried flying higher today. It allows for time and altitude to correct for error. Look at the 0:23sec, I was hit by a sudden gust and it rolled my aircraft into a diagonal 'loop'. Lucky I was high so managed to recover it.
This is why you need an altitude. To be safe.
I uploaded couple of videos taken in November.
In flight #15 see the moment at 05:15. Plane was pretty far from me and I didn't recognize in time what's going on.

Bixler Flight #15 (6 min 23 sec)

Next video of flight #16 from northen part of city on road which going around the city. Launch and landing with flaps.

Bixler Flight #16 (3 min 58 sec)

To be continued... Next video will be a ground view of flight #16.