HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:58 PM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junjian View Post
My main problem is landing and orientation. I can't seem to land it.
As for orientation it is only practice can help.
For the beginning try to fly close to yourself to see plane clearly. Also try to track the flight in you head. For example, I started to north, turned left to the west, turned back to the north and so on. Or try to put yourself as a pilot in canopy.

Landing should be not much complicated on this type of plane as it's a glider by nature. If it properly balanced it should glide pretty well in upwind direction. Remember R/C planes follows the rules of big planes. Take off and landing should go against wind direction. I do landing in following order.
1. Checking wind direction before landing as we have unstable direction in this area. During 1 hour it can change on 90 degrees.
2. Make low approach similar to real planes. Let's say not higher than 3-5 meters above the ground.
3.Final leg is against the wind and plane is flying to me. So, I standing so than wind goes to my back.
4. In distance of 20-30 meters and altitude 3-5 meters I stop the motor completely.
5. Using ailerons I compensate any turns of plane trying keep wings parallel to the ground.
6. Just before touch down (0.5 - 1 meters above the ground) I pull elevator up so, that on touch down it fully up.

When I use flaps than order is little bit more complecated.

Hope it helps.

Sergey
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:51 PM
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio9999 View Post
As for orientation it is only practice can help.
For the beginning try to fly close to yourself to see plane clearly. Also try to track the flight in you head. For example, I started to north, turned left to the west, turned back to the north and so on. Or try to put yourself as a pilot in canopy.

Landing should be not much complicated on this type of plane as it's a glider by nature. If it properly balanced it should glide pretty well in upwind direction. Remember R/C planes follows the rules of big planes. Take off and landing should go against wind direction. I do landing in following order.
1. Checking wind direction before landing as we have unstable direction in this area. During 1 hour it can change on 90 degrees.
2. Make low approach similar to real planes. Let's say not higher than 3-5 meters above the ground.
3.Final leg is against the wind and plane is flying to me. So, I standing so than wind goes to my back.
4. In distance of 20-30 meters and altitude 3-5 meters I stop the motor completely.
5. Using ailerons I compensate any turns of plane trying keep wings parallel to the ground.
6. Just before touch down (0.5 - 1 meters above the ground) I pull elevator up so, that on touch down it fully up.

When I use flaps than order is little bit more complecated.

Hope it helps.

Sergey
Hey Sergey, thanks for your tips.
It help me land my aircraft when both my propellers shear off from the prop hub mid flight.
The aircraft transformed into a glider.
But there was not enough altitude for me to bank.
Without airspeed, I knew if I bank, I will lose altitude and crash harder.
So I let it descend slowly and kill off the airspeed(it was flying to a pile of sand) to the point where it stalled and low altitude to came down.
No damages to the a/c fortunately.

Murphy's Law states that whatever can go wrong, will go wrong. Today I witnessed it first hand. Haha.

Propeller Shear Off (1 min 12 sec)
junjian is offline Find More Posts by junjian
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Congratulation

Congratulation with safe emergency landing!
If plane still a single piece object it is successful landing.

I should compile one of my last videos with emergency landing. I'll post a link when I done it. Actually I lost control of elevator and couple times get an altitude just by full throttle. It always good to know which response you can get from plane by it's nature.

Meanwhile welcome on "Scorpio9999channel" on YouTube.
Probably you will find something usefull as well. Feel free to subscribe, it's free of charge.

Sergey
Old Feb 28, 2013, 03:06 AM
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
Congratulation with safe emergency landing!
If plane still a single piece object it is successful landing.

I should compile one of my last videos with emergency landing. I'll post a link when I done it. Actually I lost control of elevator and couple times get an altitude just by full throttle. It always good to know which response you can get from plane by it's nature.

Meanwhile welcome on "Scorpio9999channel" on YouTube.
Probably you will find something usefull as well. Feel free to subscribe, it's free of charge.

Sergey
Yeah, Everything is intact. So I guess I did okay.

I realised smth, the more I think about how to fly, the more likely I am to screw it up.

But like today, I just responded to the situation and I managed to land it in 1 piece.
Normally my landing will damage smth in the aircraft.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:37 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
junjian,

What you did is one first things we learn in full size flying in the case engine failure, just after take off.
NEVER try to turn back to the runway.
Land straight ahead, but of course that becomes very complicated in built-up areas,
but all you can do is quick scan for the 'best' place to come down.
Well Done.

B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:35 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
Subscribed
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Mar 01, 2013, 12:46 AM
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
Managed to fix the HK Wingcam on it and fly together.
My piloting skills are not the best but slowly improving.

Flying RC Skysurfer with HobbyKing Wingcam (5 min 23 sec)
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:25 AM
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
Managed to fix the HK Wingcam on it and fly together.
My piloting skills are not the best but slowly improving.
Couple notes:
1. Try to fly at altitude above 10 meters (30 feets). You will have time to correct some mistakes. Remember that you can trade altitude to get speed an vice versa.
2. Do not turn just before landing. Last 20-30 meters should be in stright line. Just cut the throttle and keep wings parallel to ground. It will land itself if properly balanced.

As somebody said "don't prevent it fly".
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:32 AM
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
Couple notes:
1. Try to fly at altitude above 10 meters (30 feets). You will have time to correct some mistakes. Remember that you can trade altitude to get speed an vice versa.
2. Do not turn just before landing. Last 20-30 meters should be in stright line. Just cut the throttle and keep wings parallel to ground. It will land itself if properly balanced.

As somebody said "don't prevent it fly".
1. I am trying to build confidence in my flying before going higher.

2. Yup, but today I noticed it was going to fly towards a pool of mud thats why I turn alittle. But I managed to level it just as it was about to touch down.

All in all, I am quite happy today. Managed to get good footages and fly properly. Maybe I shall fly even higher tml to get better footages. Lol
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:53 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,973 Posts
If I understand things correctly there were several versions of the Skysurfer and then a Bixler V1. Does the same company make both, or is the Bixler a knockoff?

Then apparently the Bixler 2 came out, with a slightly longer wing and some other changes.

Then the Bixler 1.1 came out.

Anyone know why HK brought out the Bixler 1.1 after the Bixler 2? Just curious about the history of all this.

I have a Bixler 1.1 on order.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:20 AM
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
1. I am trying to build confidence in my flying before going higher.

2. Yup, but today I noticed it was going to fly towards a pool of mud thats why I turn alittle. But I managed to level it just as it was about to touch down.

All in all, I am quite happy today. Managed to get good footages and fly properly. Maybe I shall fly even higher tml to get better footages. Lol
1. Than higher than safer. Just about ground you can get some turbulence as well. In some higher altitude wind flows more smoother. It's Ok to go up to 100 meters if you have clear skies (good visibility without fog) and can see the plane. Footage could be awesome from 100 meters.

2. I saw that you leveled wings just before landing. Anyway try to plan your landing approach and final leg. It shoud be always upwind. Especially for beginners.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:24 AM
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
If I understand things correctly there were several versions of the Skysurfer and then a Bixler V1. Does the same company make both, or is the Bixler a knockoff?

Then apparently the Bixler 2 came out, with a slightly longer wing and some other changes.

Anyone know why HK brought out the Bixler 1.1 after the Bixler 2? Just curious about the history of all this.

Please have a look at post #2 on the first page. You should find links which help you.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:32 AM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post

Probably because the Chinese supplier changed the molds.

If you go to the first page, you'll see the differences between the first four versions, and Banana Hobby has a V5 coming out.

I've got a 1.1 and like the features better. No washers in the nose, better wing attachment arrangement, servos relocated farther back, more open fuselage area for FPV gear and batteries, and a new cockpit cover.
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:36 AM
United States, NC, Avon
Joined Sep 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, Everything is intact. So I guess I did okay.

I realised smth, the more I think about how to fly, the more likely I am to screw it up.

But like today, I just responded to the situation and I managed to land it in 1 piece.
Normally my landing will damage smth in the aircraft.
Fly it down to one foot of altitude, and just hold it off until it runs out of airspeed.
robschonk is offline Find More Posts by robschonk
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:44 AM
Joined Feb 2013
98 Posts
Quote:
1. Than higher than safer. Just about ground you can get some turbulence as well. In some higher altitude wind flows more smoother. It's Ok to go up to 100 meters if you have clear skies (good visibility without fog) and can see the plane. Footage could be awesome from 100 meters.

2. I saw that you leveled wings just before landing. Anyway try to plan your landing approach and final leg. It shoud be always upwind. Especially for beginners.
1. Haha, For some reason, I have a phobia to fly high with my plane. But I flew more than 100m in my Quad. I don't seem to have tat phobia with the quad. Lol.
Shot with my GoPro on my Quad. In the far background, that across the border, Malaysia.

2. Hahaha, it was upwind. I wanted to land directly infront of me. But it drifted so I let it continue den. My main purpose was to land it without any damage. Hahaha.