SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:10 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,130 Posts
Hinges HK 008-00201 now $1.22 for 10.

Slice off the moving surfaces and trim excess. Mark on the surface where the hinge will go. Mark a line along middle or "highest point" on the edge. Slice gently with a break-off blade knife, as deep as the hinge will go, along this line.

With a hinge on the top over where it will go into the foam, mark where the hinge's edge holes will be (edge, not hinge-pin side holes). Push the hinge into the slot and with a 1 mm drill, drill through the foam. It should, providing you made a reasonable guess, go right through.

Either wire through the holes or, at AJ's suggestion, trim toothpicks to go through and glue them.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:46 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I got myself those NACA ducts. Can you tell me the steps you took to install the duct. I am a bit chicken to cut a hole in the nose of my plane..

Thanks

Shimmy
It was so long ago.... one thing is that when you cut out the duct from the sheet, leave a border as shown in the picture. I only glued on the border if memory serves. Then put it where you want it, and trace the outline with a fine marker. The marker will come off with alcohol when done. Make a small hole at first and keep trial fitting as you go along. Just trim a little at a time and make sure you don't go too much. Take your time and you will be fine. Don't forget the hole in the rear for air to escape or there won't be any flow.

That's not my picture but mine looks the same.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:41 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post
morning all

after a bit of a break I'm trying to get my Bixler back in the air

after an issue with either the motor or esc i have replaced both

im now running a D2826-6 2200kv with a APC 6x4 prop

havent flown her yet, but tested everything works on my bench....the amount of air the prop shifts at full throttle is quite scary
To make sure you aren't overloading your ESC you should do an amp check of the motor on the bench. You may come close to 20 amps with that motor and prop.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:43 PM
Multicopter Crash Tester
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
To make sure you aren't overloading your ESC you should do an amp check of the motor on the bench. You may come close to 20 amps with that motor and prop.
I pull 330w at 27A on 3s with that combo :-)
Amfamora is offline Find More Posts by Amfamora
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:40 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfamora View Post
I have same setup, same results.

About to try and fix damage from this crash:

Bixler FPV Rhinoplasty (0 min 32 sec)

Only damaged the nose, might post before and after shots shortly.
Gimmer is offline Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post
About to try and fix damage from this crash:

Only damaged the nose,might post before and after shots shortly.
A steel post wasn't it. Steel yourself for the damage. I'll steel away and go flying..

Sorry, couldn't help myself....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:56 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfamora View Post
Sounds like at least a 30 amp model. Thanks for the info.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:45 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
153 Posts
Hi guys,
I have maidened my V1.1 last weekend. All ok, but on full power, the Bixler tries to climb almost vertically. Looks good, but I don't want him to do that on his own. Are yours doing the same? CG was as per manual, no trim needed.
Aussie64 is offline Find More Posts by Aussie64
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:57 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,178 Posts
Aussie64

Maybe put some weight in his nose and/or trim his elevator down or change battery from 4s to 3s

Just kidding about the battery, The motor would be dead long ago on a 4s I'd say!!??
You are using a Turnigy/Nano-Tech 2200mAh 3s - Yes??)

My Bixler came with 6 or 8 (cant remember) big fat washers in nose, I got rid of them straight away,
to be able to go to a 2200mAh rather than than (I think) the recommended 1800mAh.

That said at half throttle trimmed for level flight all is good,
but if I stick it up to full throttle she tends want climb a LOT, but not exactly vertical.

B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:23 AM
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
153 Posts
I have the new version 1.1, no more washers in there! And yes, I use 3s2200. It flies straight on half throttle, but I would like to have it that way over the complete throttle range. Will probably mix some down elevator to compensate for that.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:36 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,178 Posts
Good idea, I've tried that in past with mixed results - using Dx6i and/or Turnigy 9X with Open 9x Firmware.

PS: I love the 9X with FrSky DHT TX module with Telemetry
Beats the Spektrum junk hands down!

B!LL!

Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:40 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Good idea, I've tried that in past with mixed results - using Dx6i and/or Turnigy 9X with Open 9x Firmware.

PS: I love the 9X with FrSky DHT TX module with Telemetry

B!LL!

Bill, I know this is not the TX / RX thread but you seem to know something about this stuff so let me ask you. FrSky DHT TX module with Telemetry what is that and what does DHT mean?

I've been involved in this hobby one year as of tomorrow and I have 10 airplanes, some of which has a lot of stuff in them. My first "big boy" transmitter was a DX 6I and as you can well imagine I quickly ran out of channels. So the guys at my flight club said well it's time for a DX 8, I asked how much does that cost . Around $500 they said I had looked into the 9X but nobody at my airfield has one that I know of. Way back whenever I first ran out channels. I thought it can't be very good at the price it sells for and the RX, it's only $11 so I bought the DX 6I.

But then I went sideways, I bought the Turnigy 9X and relegated the Spectrum DX 6I to my combat planes. I've since heard and learned the 9X is not just a hell of a good radio for the price, it's a hell of a good radio!

Question Sir, what is 9X firmware, what does that do and how do I get it and do I need it?

Thank you Bill,

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:46 PM
Germany
Joined Nov 2006
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Well, nothing to add to this... Will stick to my Futabas forever!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
1,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
But then I went sideways, I bought the Turnigy 9X .... and learned the 9X is not just a hell of a good radio for the price, it's a hell of a good radio!

Question Sir, what is 9X firmware, what does that do and how do I get it and do I need it?
It is suggested and I haven't done it yet, get to the 9ER firmware (firmware, [not a good term] = the internal chip's software). A lot more models can then be programmed in and I'm told the programming is more logical.

Also fit a backlight. DON'T put it in the way they say. The leads should be laid to the opposite side from the instructions so they don't get tangled in the 4 way switch. Otherwise relatively simple if you are competent with a soldering iron.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:03 PM
Joined Aug 2008
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post

Thank you Bill,

DJ
You will find everything you need to know here:

http://code.google.com/p/er9x/

The Er9x firmware totally transforms the Turnigy 9x transmitter. It becomes more intuitive, more flexible and you will have access to up to 16 channels.

You will need to buy the Smartieparts programming board and install it inside your transmitter but don't hesitate. You won't regret the move.
Mehari is online now Find More Posts by Mehari
Last edited by Mehari; Feb 15, 2013 at 03:17 PM.