Joined Nov 2000
2,843 Posts
I put all my servo's in the tail on my V1.1
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:18 PM
Joined Sep 2010
301 Posts
I reinforced the spar on my Bixler, but the wings still flex quite a bit in flight. Is this a concern? I'll primarily be using the plane for FPV purposes. I've considered adding a second spar that is longer, behind the factory spar's location, but it seems like it would be a pain in the butt to install.
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:38 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
The easy way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57 View Post
I reinforced the spar on my Bixler, but the wings still flex quite a bit in flight. Is this a concern? I'll primarily be using the plane for FPV purposes. I've considered adding a second spar that is longer, behind the factory spar's location, but it seems like it would be a pain in the butt to install.
Just put a 4mm CF tube inside the 6mm spar. That will give you considerably more strength. If you have already done that, you can still put a 2mm CF tube inside the 4mm tube. Also, it is easy to "drill" out the spar hole to 8mm using a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a 5/16" x 3' wooden dowel. I have done all of the above to 3 planes. It works out great.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:43 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,843 Posts
My 1.1 came with a little solid spar. Not sure what it was, fiberglass? I flew it in the wind with it, but replaced it with a same dia carbon spar that went into the wings as far as it would go, it's a lot longer. Then I shoved a small carbon spar in that one. Wing are super stuff. That's really the only mod a bixler v1.1 needs.

But knowing I'd be putting a bunch of weight in the nose, I put the servos in the tail.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:59 PM
Joined Sep 2010
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Just put a 4mm CF tube inside the 6mm spar. That will give you considerably more strength. If you have already done that, you can still put a 2mm CF tube inside the 4mm tube. Also, it is easy to "drill" out the spar hole to 8mm using a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a 5/16" x 3' wooden dowel. I have done all of the above to 3 planes. It works out great.
AJ
Thanks for the replies. I've already put a 4mm solid CF rod in the stock spar. There was a bit of empty space so used a lot of gorilla glue when installing. The problem is the spar doesn't span the length of the wings, so I can easily see the wingtips "flutter" in moderate wind and moderately fast elevation changes (but not pulling crazy high-g maneuvers). Maybe I'll upgrade to a 8mm CF tube, as the spar does still flex.
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:01 AM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,843 Posts
FPV Flying in the rain, shooting for the clouds with DragonLink V2 (2 min 27 sec)

Solid
FPV Formation! So much fun! Flown with Dragonlink! (2 min 30 sec)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:43 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Shimmy, would it work to put them back right way round and sham one of them up higher than the other maybe? There's another type of control horn attachment that I like a lot better than the twisties I just installed two of those other combat plane is lying on the kitchen table right now. I'll did the label out of the trash and take a picture this thing. It is so much easier to use than unclip in the twisties and trying to guess how many turns it'll take to get them right.

DJ
Thanks. I have linkage stoppers that look like these... only too small. The wire won't fit in the hole. I have to see if I can get them locally. When I bought a carbon spar locally I paid something like 8x what they cost on HK. I was hoping to fly this weekend.

If I can not get them, I may cut the control rod at the appropriate length and glue the clevis on. That won't give me any way to adjust the length manually.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:46 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
Can you tell me how you solved the servo arm issue? Did you flip it like I did ? If so, how did you connect to the control horns?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:39 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Thanks. I have linkage stoppers that look like these... only too small. The wire won't fit in the hole. I have to see if I can get them locally. When I bought a carbon spar locally I paid something like 8x what they cost on HK. I was hoping to fly this weekend.

If I can not get them, I may cut the control rod at the appropriate length and glue the clevis on. That won't give me any way to adjust the length manually.
Call me tonight 21:00-ish. I might have "proper" E/Z connectors for you, or adjustable clevises
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:16 AM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Can you tell me how you solved the servo arm issue? Did you flip it like I did ? If so, how did you connect to the control horns?
servo arm issue?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1790076
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:57 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVH View Post
Thanks. When you said "In the tail" I thought that you meant inside the fuse under the hatch. Your pictures made it clear.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:00 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,843 Posts
I knew I was going to add a bunch of weight to the nose with fpv gear, so right out of the gate I put the servos in the back, they probably could be farther back yet. My RX is in the hatch where the servo's are supposed to go
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:50 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Servos in the tail

Here's how I did my tail servos. They fit perfectly and actually touch each other inside for a strong bond.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:50 AM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Heres a quick video I put together. Be sure to watch the ending!!

Flying Around The Valley (3 min 9 sec)
Last edited by Maddmax; Jan 19, 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Anyone flying around the Poughkeepsie NY area on this forum??