HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:04 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I must say glider guys on Saturday morning seemed to be apart from all of us. Except for three of them all of the are 85 and older. They took their planes up to a machine that has a long string on it and a foot pedal. They step on the pedal and the plane shoots straight up into the air and then they tip the nose over and release it. And then they go off and find thermals and they find them!

I was watching them one morning and one of them said "do you see that?" And someone said "yeah I see it Charlie I'm headed that way".

They had spotted a hole in a cloud where the edges of the hole were being sucked in. I asked my friend Jay "what are they talking about?", He said a thermal blew a hole in that cloud and they can see and they're going after it.

DJ
PS: I think we have a great flight club.com
I have a couple of buddies that like to fly their radians way overhead. They hand launch and use the prop to get up to glide height then rarely use the motor again unless the wind gets high and makes them drift.

Sometimes they try to fly each others plane before they realized they are watching the wrong one. I told them to paint one green and the other orange just to keep them straight.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:53 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I have a couple of buddies that like to fly their radians way overhead. They hand launch and use the prop to get up to glide height then rarely use the motor again unless the wind gets high and makes them drift.

Sometimes they try to fly each others plane before they realized they are watching the wrong one. I told them to paint one green and the other orange just to keep them straight.
One Saturday morning I found out you can also find yourself flying a vulture, they like thermals too!

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:49 AM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,823 Posts
FPV Flying in the rain, shooting for the clouds with DragonLink V2 (2 min 27 sec)
JohnVH is online now Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:27 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Comments

What I liked about your video:
1. Under three minutes to avoid boredom.
2. Nice background music.
3. Well edited.
4. Interesting scenery.
5. Both take off and landing were shown.
6. Landing was pretty darn good (close to you).
What I did not like:
1. Nothing. Nicely done IMO.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:17 AM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,823 Posts
Thanks!
JohnVH is online now Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:06 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,143 Posts
FPV BIXLER DOWN LOW (2 min 48 sec)
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Diamond 2500
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:06 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
What time does the beer flyers get there?
GENE, - LOL I love that!!!

Your on my page there. It's either a beer, a nip of scotch/whiskey in to a can of coke or a Valium for the NERVES before flying a maiden, particularly when it comes to a new EDF that I've spent $ hundreds and many hours building.

All of these things done under stealth from other club members.

(Crap I hope none of them are reading this!!)

-B!LL!

Rider: Eternalflight, Nice video, nice scenery, nice music. I was memorized. Perhaps it was even more calming than Valium!
Same goes for your video JohnVH, what AJ said, however it didn't quite have the low level 'spin-out' factor. (Frame of mind I guess?)
-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Last edited by Fugitive_Bill; Jan 10, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:50 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined May 2011
694 Posts
Hi,

A couple of FPV vids featuring a friends Bixler (and my Teksumo.) Would have been 2 bixlers but I had some issues with the OSD on the my bixler this day. I'm amazed the Bixler I am following didn't fold it's wings at some points. Stock spar and hauling around FPV gear... there is some serious wing movement happening at times.

Cheers,
Gim

Some FPV Fun 2 (2 min 58 sec)

Some FPV fun 1 (2 min 54 sec)
Gimmer is offline Find More Posts by Gimmer
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:00 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmer View Post
Hi,

A couple of FPV vids featuring a friends Bixler (and my Teksumo.) Would have been 2 bixlers but I had some issues with the OSD on the my bixler this day. I'm amazed the Bixler I am following didn't fold it's wings at some points. Stock spar and hauling around FPV gear... there is some serious wing movement happening at times.

Cheers,
Gim
Very exciting videos. Keep up the great work.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:23 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Version 5 at AMA Expo

I saw the new Sky Surver version 5 at the AMA Expo yesterday, at the Banana Hobby booth. I did not get a full look, but here are some observations:
  • Flaps.
  • Strong plastic plate on bottom of fuse
  • Tail skid
  • I did not check the wing mounting method.
  • Servos have been upgraded (to 16g?)
IMO the flaps are not necessary in normal flight, but I guess with a heavy FPV load they would be useful.
I didn't ask the price, but with the bigger servos I would think they would raise it a few dollars. They say it will be available in about 2 weeks.

I needed a replacement left wing for my original Sky Surfer, but they are completely out of stock on version 4. Does anyone have a spare?
I ended up getting a Super Sky Surfer, ARF for $120 - seems like a bargain. No shipping cost, either.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Last edited by Reegor; Jan 13, 2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added BH info
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Bixler 1.1 Servo - Clevis Problem

I am building my Bixler 1.1 kit and I have run into a problem. I hope that your collective mind can help me solve it.

As you probably know, the new location of the tail servos is part way down the fuse, accessible via a hatch in t bottom. When I put the servo in and looked how they were, I could see that the arms were very close, and could easily interfere with each other ( I read about this in this thread). See Picture 1 below.

So as suggested, I flipped one around (Picture 2) and cut off the end of one arm (Picture 3). This all seemed to be a good solution.

Now that I come to attach the clevis at the end of the push rod, I see that the rod is now a centimeter or two past the control horn. No room for a clevis. I thought that I could use a linkage stopper, however the ones that I have are too small for the push rod. (I don't think that I can find them locally)

I could cut open the fuse again, remove the rod , shorten it and make a new z bend at the end, however this will leave the fuse all beaten up before I have a chance to destroy it myself.

Another solution that I thought of is to shorten the push rod and solder on a little wire that is thinner and able to fit in linkage stopper.

Any suggestions ?
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:30 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Reegor,

I like the belly skid idea, as every one (well quite a few) do grass sliding take offs from time to time.
(But nothing a bit fibreglass tape can't fix! )
Well I certainly do, because I can't trust myself to get onto the the controls quick enough after doing a throw launch!!

As for servo's,, I'll bet everyone changes them out anyway, unless they really are decent ones.

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:05 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reegor View Post
I saw the new Sky Surver version 5 at the AMA Expo yesterday. I did not get a full look, but here are some observations:
  • Flaps.
  • Strong plastic plate on bottom of fuse
  • Tail skid
  • I did not check the wing mounting method.
  • Servos have been upgraded (to 16g?)
IMO the flaps are not necessary in normal flight, but I guess with a heavy FPV load they would be useful.
I didn't ask the price, but with the bigger servos I would think they would raise it a few dollars.

I needed a replacement left wing for my original Sky Surfer, but they are completely out of stock on version 4. Does anyone have a spare?
I ended up getting a Super Sky Surfer, ARF for $120 - seems like a bargain. No shipping cost, either.
Is the Version 5 being sold by BH or another supplier?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:19 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Is the Version 5 being sold by BH or another supplier?
Yes, BH. Thanks, I fixed it.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:26 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I am building my Bixler 1.1 kit and I have run into a problem. I hope that your collective mind can help me solve it.

As you probably know, the new location of the tail servos is part way down the fuse, accessible via a hatch in t bottom. When I put the servo in and looked how they were, I could see that the arms were very close, and could easily interfere with each other ( I read about this in this thread). See Picture 1 below.

So as suggested, I flipped one around (Picture 2) and cut off the end of one arm (Picture 3). This all seemed to be a good solution.

Now that I come to attach the clevis at the end of the push rod, I see that the rod is now a centimeter or two past the control horn. No room for a clevis. I thought that I could use a linkage stopper, however the ones that I have are too small for the push rod. (I don't think that I can find them locally)

I could cut open the fuse again, remove the rod , shorten it and make a new z bend at the end, however this will leave the fuse all beaten up before I have a chance to destroy it myself.

Another solution that I thought of is to shorten the push rod and solder on a little wire that is thinner and able to fit in linkage stopper.

Any suggestions ?
Shimmy, would it work to put them back right way round and sham one of them up higher than the other maybe? There's another type of control horn attachment that I like a lot better than the twisties I just installed two of those other combat plane is lying on the kitchen table right now. I'll did the label out of the trash and take a picture this thing. It is so much easier to use than unclip in the twisties and trying to guess how many turns it'll take to get them right.

I have a Bixler two painted up and tricked out but I like the original Bixler plane better and I'm gonna get one of those version 1.1 planes but I will not use the twisties or replace them all with the Do-Bro attachments.

I'm off to find that for you. Dragon NaturallySpeaking go to sleep.

I'm back. The holes for the wire are pretty big. The combat plane as the control wires. And this device still has plenty of room for bigger ones.

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor