HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:18 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Happy New Year!
Our club ritualistically flies on Jan 1 every year so tomorrow my SS sees snow!
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:37 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Just came back from 3 days out in the boonies without any real internet capabilities. So if I missed something oh well.

It's a new year so Happy New Year to all.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:09 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Just came back from 3 days out in the boonies without any real internet capabilities. So if I missed something oh well.

It's a new year so Happy New Year to all.
What were you doing in Tampa?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:18 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
What were you doing in Tampa?
Just slumming around a bit. Real bizarre.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:12 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,877 Posts
New bix footage! Formation!

12-31 Last epic FPV of 2012 Flown with Dragonlink! Recordsetting for me! (4 min 26 sec)
JohnVH is online now Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
I use a cig lighter and heat the end of the push rod then shove it into the arm hole. Pull it out right away and let it cool. The re-insert and work into position.

so to recap:

You put the push rod in,
You pull the push rod out,
You put the push rod in,
And you twist it all about,

Optional:

You do the hokey pokey
and you turn yourself around
That what it's all about.
Thanks I did that, worked fine.
My kids wanted to know why I was hokey pokeying around the kitchen, but I explained to them that it was part of the instructions
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:41 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Thanks I did that, worked fine.
My kids wanted to know why I was hokey pokeying around the kitchen, but I explained to them that it was part of the instructions
Glad to hear it.

Take any video of the dance? Vince loves that kind of stuff.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Glad to hear it.

Take any video of the dance? Vince loves that kind of stuff.
+1
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:57 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Hey now! I'm glad to see everyone dancing this New Year's.

I'm on my third sky server type plane. I'm now flying the Bixler 2 a nice plane but I see it in no way superior to my original blitz RC works sky server in my second plane the version 1 Bixler.

I'm thinking about getting another Bixler and making it into a seaplane not by adding floats but by modifications to the airframe such as fuselage extensions, rounded made as part of the body.

I watched the video of a guy here in Florida who cares a Bixler around on the back of his jet ski, he stops grabs it off the back of the jet ski pops both wings on throws it in the water and flies away no body modification whatsoever.

What he did do was drowned all the electronics in corrosion X I know this stuff from years ago. Then as a demonstration he shoves the whole plane underwater, pulls it out flies it off.

I noticed a couple of seaplanes to where the fuselage was modified to be the float device I think I can do this. Imagine float like protrusions coming from the bottom of the fuselage at about a 30 angle leaving a space between them essentially a catamaran.

Here's what I think I can do, model those protrusions directly on the fuselage in Clay I got lots of Clay I'm a sculptor. Pull a mold off of them and a bit of the surrounding body. Clean out the mold, prep it, drilled to vent holes in it and to por holes, see lid back on the fuselage poured in place making a perfect match to the body. In the sculptor's trade would call this a scab mode. It's how you repair damaged sculpture. I don't want to use wing floats or any type of device on the wing's I still have to land this thing on the grass when I'm not playing in the water.

Or do you all know a better way of doing what I'm trying to do.

DJ
PS: I know there are floats available I just don't want to use floats I have to float planes already only keep this thing sky surfer and I still have to land it on grass most of the time.
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:06 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,616 Posts
Quote:
I use a cig lighter and heat the end of the push rod then shove it into the arm hole. Pull it out right away and let it cool. The re-insert and work into position.

so to recap:

You put the push rod in,
You pull the push rod out,
You put the push rod in,
And you twist it all about,

Optional:

You do the hokey pokey
and you turn yourself around
That what it's all about.
$2.50 Gene,

Funny as usual. LMAO.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:29 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5 Posts
bixler newbie with radio questions

hi all

happy new year!
I don't exaggerate when I blame you lot for getting me in the air.
my first attempts in rc were 'll total losses. had. hobbies easy star and tip stalled it from 20 feet. twice.

so I stArted perusing the forums because I wanted a more resilient plane.

thanking your enthusiasm I got me a bixler v1. the maiden was at dusk, on a hill with bushes. only damage when my 9yr old tossed it and he didn't have enough power in the throw so I can cartwheeled - should have been able to correct but it was flight #2.

some dents and the cheapo spar broke.

next flight was very short. plane with the spar removed does not fly well esp in 5mph winds.

finally, more tApe, new spar, enlarged rudder and it's a beauty.

still fiddling with throws and cg, and putting on a cheapo digicam.

I completely love the foamie: it's imperfect enough thAt quick mods with can and tape are plenty good. I am ok with putting in time but right now I just want to fly, not build.

couple learnings:

don't hotglue the servos. pain to swap

don't ca the servo horn if its stripped get a new servo -the ca leaked into the servo... duh

use the foam hinges. I thought I'd use real hinges and messed up by getting ca into the hinge. it doesn't move so good after

on underbelly where the antenna hole is, place an X of tough tape. it strengthens the weakest spot in the nose. after a pilot error I cracked mine. tApe and ca later it's good as new (the 12yr old says, jeez dad even i know to pullUP not push it in the ground)

must strengthen the spar, out of box is too weak

magnets to hold wings together work well

I glued the elevator on because my removable version was too loose

tough tape on leading edges and belly avoids dents and gouges

love it. son now wants one. can't wait to add more wing sparsely and take the "ears" off the wings.

great call here to upgrade engine and prop. easy flying at half throttle or less. power when you need it.

ok, so here my questions for you
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1800703

let me hear it.

cheers, and thanks for all the info here. like I said, would not be flying otherwise

s
sniemetz is offline Find More Posts by sniemetz
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:47 PM
wottree
United Kingdom, England, Exeter
Joined Nov 2011
302 Posts
Happy New Year Guys.
Is it obvious that I have been grounded her in the UK for the last 3 weeks due to weather?!!!!
she's called the Cow...obviously '
ands is offline Find More Posts by ands
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:58 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniemetz View Post

some dents and the cheapo spar broke.
Have you made the wing removable? If so this is what point stresses the spar.

Quote:
don't hotglue the servos. pain to swap

don't ca the servo horn if its stripped get a new servo -the ca leaked into the servo... duh

I thought I'd use real hinges and messed up by getting ca into the hinge. it doesn't move so good after
Don't use CA, especially if fitting hinges. I don't glue mine, just wire them in. If any glue is used it is PVA. I also PVA glue servos plus run a length of tape over the aileron ones.

Admittedly I did get PVA into a servo one time. It was like getting it wet. Electronic cleaning spray sorted that one out.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:11 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5 Posts
Hi Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L
Have you made the wing removable? If so this is what point stresses the spar.
quite - I need to be able to fit it into the car so yes - removable winges, and the initial cheap spar. I ordered a new CF tube and put a CF rod inside - much stronger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L
Don't use CA, especially if fitting hinges. I don't glue mine, just wire them in. If any glue is used it is PVA. I also PVA glue servos plus run a length of tape over the aileron ones.
Sorry to sound like a moron: What's PVA? contact cement? come to think of it that would have been smarter...
sniemetz is offline Find More Posts by sniemetz
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:40 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniemetz View Post
Hi Mac

quite - I need to be able to fit it into the car so yes - removable winges, and the initial cheap spar. I ordered a new CF tube and put a CF rod inside - much stronger

Sorry to sound like a moron: What's PVA? contact cement? come to think of it that would have been smarter...
It's Polyvinyl acetate.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1107523...Types&var=sbar

Gorilla white glue is poly based also and works well.