Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:59 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
DJ,

Wild house cats have done a job on foam plane in my house too.

The Evercoat polyflex is pretty amazing. Lightweight spackle is brittle. I am using it for the first time on Habu 2 airframe. I tried liquid sheeting and that was the biggest waste of time and money. It requires encasing the foam in liquid sheeting. One edge left open will lift from the foam and can be peeled off like a banana. Constrast that with the evercoat and it is like a thick primer or filler but flexible. You spread it like bondo, it kicks in 6 minutes and sands in 20 minutes. Its flexibility is what makes it perfect for foam planes. You can buy it at a local collision shop paint suppy house. I paid $30 for it. It includes one small tube of catalyst. Get an extra tube because you will use too much inevitably.

Bill
Bill, thank you. In sanding this filler do I wet sand or dry sand it? I've been using acrylic floor wax to make my planes shiny and easy to clean and paint seemed to stick to it quite well. So can I fill it then wax it and then paint it?

Thank you. Once again,
DJ
PS: If sometimes my post sound really weird. I'm trying to learn to use this program called Dragon NaturallySpeaking, a talk and type program. But if some of my posts read like a Chinese assembly manual it may be in part due to this.
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:00 AM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,830 Posts
mine and a buddies

JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom View Post
I am in the process of building a B1.1 kit. I used HS-65MG and HS-65HB servos. I had to cut just a notch out on the wings to give the servo arms a little room. The width of the servo is just right, but the height is about 1/8 inches shorter than the space provided. I put my servos in with some super-duty double sided tape on the bottom and 3M extreme packing tape covering the servo. seems to work so far. you will need to cut the servo arms for the rudder and elevator servos so they will not interfere with each other. I am not sure I like that configuration. Seems like the servo arm throw will be shorter.
good luck
farmetom
Thanks.

So that means that the servo arm does not line up with the holes for the control horns on the ailerons. Just ignore the holes and put the horns opposite the arm?

How did you handle the wire from the servo to the body. Did you use one long wire fitted into the slot ? I was going to put an extension wire in the slot and coil up the extra next to the servo, however that mean even more excavation in the wing.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:03 PM
My planes plow into the field
United States, TN, Taft
Joined Oct 2012
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Thanks.

So that means that the servo arm does not line up with the holes for the control horns on the ailerons. Just ignore the holes and put the horns opposite the arm?

How did you handle the wire from the servo to the body. Did you use one long wire fitted into the slot ? I was going to put an extension wire in the slot and coil up the extra next to the servo, however that mean even more excavation in the wing.
A picture is worth a thousand words.. I have attached three pictures. The first shows the aileron servo. Notice the Little notch cut out for the control arm. The second picture show the elevator and rudder servo control arms cut so they will not interfere with each other.

The third photo shows the twelve inch extension I added to the servo wire. I cut a little foam in the slots provided and shoved the connector into it. Looks just fine.

Hope this helps
farmertom
farmertom is offline Find More Posts by farmertom
Last edited by farmertom; Dec 24, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:37 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words.. I have attached three pictures. The first shows the aileron servo. Notice the Little notch cut out for the control arm. The second picture show the elevator and rudder servo control arms cut so they will not interfere with each other.

The third photo shows the twelve inch extension I added to the servo wire. I cut a little foam in the slots provided and shoved the connector into it. Looks just fine.

Hope this helps
farmertom
If you put one of the servos the other way around (so the pivot points of the servos one would be forward and the other backward (staggered)) they may just end up far enough apart so as not to interfear with each other ( an have to cut the servo arms)

LURCH
P.S. the Bixler 1.1 KIT is now in the Aussie warehouse (Ageflyer!!!)
taz101 is offline Find More Posts by taz101
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:47 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Bill, thank you. In sanding this filler do I wet sand or dry sand it? I've been using acrylic floor wax to make my planes shiny and easy to clean and paint seemed to stick to it quite well. So can I fill it then wax it and then paint it?

Thank you. Once again,
DJ
PS: If sometimes my post sound really weird. I'm trying to learn to use this program called Dragon NaturallySpeaking, a talk and type program. But if some of my posts read like a Chinese assembly manual it may be in part due to this.
DJ,

You can dry sand with a progression of sandpaper. You really want to spend the money and buy real sandpaper from an automotive body supply house which doesn't plug up when sanding. 3M and Norton make 99% of what is on the market. 3M is best but more expensive. Sand with a progression based on how heavy you lay down the filler. I usually go from 180 or 220 to 360 and then prime, then paint. When painted you can use Johnson acrylic floor shine.

Bill

p.s. Speech Recognition is a challenge to get working reliably. W7 has it as well and works OK, but not great.

Bill
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Dec 24, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 06:02 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Question.....for those who are using the 3M hooks/rubber band app. how far out from the root are you placing the hooks?

Thanks! Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:23 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
Question.....for those who are using the 3M hooks/rubber band app. how far out from the root are you placing the hooks?

Thanks! Gary
2 " from the fuselage.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:13 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
2 " from the fuselage.
AJ
Thanks, that's where I ended up placing mine.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, MD, North East
Joined Apr 2011
280 Posts
Just ordered a sky surfer kit and I will be using it for FPV (I have done a lot of FPV and want something to severely abuse....).

I have a bunch of crap laying around the work bench so the only thing I have bought is this:

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=6364 (5-blade adjustable pitch hub).

To hopefully be used with this thing I found on my bench:

https://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?i...7&pid=B3945417

I ordered 5, "6 inch", blades to put on it (that is the theoretical diameter of 2 blades, not a single blade). I am hoping for a 6X6X5 setup on 3s. I can adjust the pitch down if it overamps my 1500 kv motor but I am hoping this will be a fun break from some of the more "technical" projects I have been working for the past 6 months...

I am going to try for near 360 pan and some tilt so I can look at my fan in the back as it is (i hope) flying.

Wish me luck!

- Joe
chemnut842 is offline Find More Posts by chemnut842
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:36 AM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,830 Posts
it probably wont give you very good performance, but let us know how it works out.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:05 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemnut842 View Post
Just ordered a sky surfer kit and I will be using it for FPV (I have done a lot of FPV and want something to severely abuse....).

I have a bunch of crap laying around the work bench so the only thing I have bought is this:

http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=6364 (5-blade adjustable pitch hub).

To hopefully be used with this thing I found on my bench:

https://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?i...7&pid=B3945417

I ordered 5, "6 inch", blades to put on it (that is the theoretical diameter of 2 blades, not a single blade). I am hoping for a 6X6X5 setup on 3s. I can adjust the pitch down if it overamps my 1500 kv motor but I am hoping this will be a fun break from some of the more "technical" projects I have been working for the past 6 months...

I am going to try for near 360 pan and some tilt so I can look at my fan in the back as it is (i hope) flying.

Wish me luck!

- Joe
Am I the only one that thinks this is excessive and will not be efficient? Just seems like another point of possible failure to me..

I thought those hubs were for scale planes such as warbirds?
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:09 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,830 Posts
more blades = less efficient. That motor is a low KV, I tried a low KV on my bixler, it was doggy and would barely fly, I think that one with a lower KV and 5 blades is not going to be that great.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:25 PM
United States, MD, North East
Joined Apr 2011
280 Posts
The hubs can be used with a multitude of configurations. Different props are sold for different applications. They have 3 props, slow fly (lower RPM), scale - idk, guess they are scale looking or something, and speed (higher RPM).

A 5-blade setup will be less efficient but that does not necessarily mean it will have low performance. It probably is not my best option for endurance though.

That being said - if I wanted endurance, I would not be buying a sky surfer...

We will see what it does...
chemnut842 is offline Find More Posts by chemnut842
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Newbie Question

Hi All,

I am putting together my Bixler 1.1 kit and I have a newbie question.

I am using the Turnigey 2826/6 motor. I understand that I should mount the motor to the aluminum X mounting bracket that comes supplied with the motor. How do I attach this to the wooden Popsicle stick mount that the Bix comes with? The outside holes on the aluminum X are bigger than the wooden stick .

Thanks for any advice.

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy