Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:11 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
The orange paint is Krylon shortcuts. It's acrylic-based or water-based is called glow orange. But when dry rub off on your fingers, so I covered it with men wax water-based polyurethane to seal it and it remained flat. The blue stripe is actually a peel and stick pinstriping I bought from a boat shop.

I'm spending more and more time trying to learn how to actually finish foam one of the best things you can do to any foam plane, especially one that is white is coat with acrylic floor wax. It's as thin as water, but leaves a acrylic film on the plane and leaves it shiny. So now I don't get fingerprints all over the foam handling the plane. Another thing once it's coated with floor wax it can be painted with any kind of paint.

Nothing wants to stick epo foam. The O stands for 'olafin' which is the plastic used in commercial carpets in high wear and high stain areas, restaurants, banks, etc. But mop and glow acrylic floor wax or Hathaway floor finish sticks pretty well to the EPO foam.

Thanks for your interest,
DJ
EPO can be painted with regular paint. I painted both of my AXNs with Enamel from a rattle can. It sticks ok with a bit of sanding before painting but it can still peel off, as you said no paint sticks well to EPO.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:37 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
EPO can be painted with regular paint. I painted both of my AXNs with Enamel from a rattle can. It sticks ok with a bit of sanding before painting but it can still peel off, as you said no paint sticks well to EPO.
On the one hand, the fact that regular paint won't eat up the foam is a blessing. On the other hand the fact it won't bite into the foam is a curse.

On this board. I found remarkable examples of people doing incredible things in finishing Styrofoam airplanes. I've looked at planes that have been covered with chrome materials used in signage,monocote etc.

my skill level is such that I cannot spend a lot of time in the passionate pursuit of perfecting the most beautiful plane. What I can do is try and make my planes look nice, convincing and believable. Finding ways to make this experience, decorating my cheap Styrofoam planes with paint and computer-generated decals is what I want to try and do here.

If it seems like I'm looking for a standard, and common way of treating all of these things, then you're right.

I'm not a builder. I am a model maker from child hood.

"What looks right is right." -Micheal Angelo .

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:15 AM
Australia, TAS, Devonport
Joined May 2011
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
That was an awsome bit of flying there, congrats,also,i like your flying style,ate up alot of sky.
cheers.
Heliosphere is offline Find More Posts by Heliosphere
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliosphere View Post
Hi everyone, I haven't posted in this thread for ages and it looks to have quietened down a lot, but just wanted to check back in with an update to my progress a little over a year after my first successful RC flights, with the awesome Bixler!

I've recently had the wing tips clipped and upgraded to a 2200kv motor and that has brought renewed interest in the otherwise slightly too sedate stock Bixler. I'm now up to about 13 planes but the upgraded Bixler is still one of my favourites to fly.

Seem to have just about all of my rookie crashes out of my system, nowadays it's only when I'm trying something stupid that I come a cropper

Anyway have a short video of the clipped Bixler in a quick blast around the local park. Thoroughly recommend the upgrade to anyone who's Bixler is gathering dust at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcFO2uzBpzc
Impressive as hell!
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:58 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:

<SNIP>

DJ
That is how my wife balances her checkbook.
AJ
And..... why we have separate checking accounts.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:33 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
On the one hand, the fact that regular paint won't eat up the foam is a blessing. On the other hand the fact it won't bite into the foam is a curse.

On this board. I found remarkable examples of people doing incredible things in finishing Styrofoam airplanes. I've looked at planes that have been covered with chrome materials used in signage,monocote etc.

my skill level is such that I cannot spend a lot of time in the passionate pursuit of perfecting the most beautiful plane. What I can do is try and make my planes look nice, convincing and believable. Finding ways to make this experience, decorating my cheap Styrofoam planes with paint and computer-generated decals is what I want to try and do here.

If it seems like I'm looking for a standard, and common way of treating all of these things, then you're right.

DJ
We have I believe a similar approach, I want to make them look nice too. I don't want my airplane to look like everyone else's so I paint them. However although I can build anything I am not an artist so while my airplanes are well built... they don't look as good as they could. For me...if it flies good and looks decent at standoff range it's a winner in my book.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Dec 19, 2012, 03:27 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
725 Posts
the other day, garfield came to the house and gave my Bixler a one two punch on the wings and canopy.......any idea on how to repair this?......a foamy filler maybe?....
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:23 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
the other day, garfield came to the house and gave my Bixler a one two punch on the wings and canopy.......any idea on how to repair this?......a foamy filler maybe?....
I suggest repairing it with fiberglass cloth and resin to make sure you can retain the airfoil as much as is possible.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:23 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I suggest repairing it with fiberglass cloth and resin to make sure you can retain the airfoil as much as is possible.
AJ
how do I apply the fiberglass cloth?...
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:03 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Sorry to disagree, but that would most likely make one side much heavier than the other. At this point I think I would replace the wing set with new ones. They don't cost that much. Odd that only the foam is damaged and he didn't get the stickers! Some light filler on the canopy.... and a black marker to touch it up.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:09 AM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
That is how my wife balances her checkbook.
AJ
And..... why we have separate checking accounts.
Hey there AJ, good to see your little dog in the corner of my screen again you sound like you've recovered.

As a monument portrait sculptor the quote "what looks right is right." Does apply to my work, but it might not applied to airplanes. Example: I hit a fence post on take off at my airfield, plane burst into the sky in nine pieces. Two days later I had it all back together again (big 5 pound Cessna 182) . In days I had the whole thing back together again found I had to add a half a pound of weight to the nose, that turned it into a flying pig never was right after that, but it sure looked right.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:58 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Sorry to disagree, but that would most likely make one side much heavier than the other. At this point I think I would replace the wing set with new ones. They don't cost that much. Odd that only the foam is damaged and he didn't get the stickers! Some light filler on the canopy.... and a black marker to touch it up.
I don't see the replacement wings for the V1 Bixler but these are the same thing....
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=739
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,112 Posts
Quote:

Spackling compound and sand it down
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
First get the cat de-clawed.

Then you can try to sand down the rough stuff and use a very light Spackle as filler.

The extra weight may make it hard to fly. If so then get a replacement set of wings

Let us know what you decided on and how it turned out. Especially the cat.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:04 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
A well trained dog would not have done that. Ever here of a well trained cat.

P.S., the irony is not lost on me.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer