Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:20 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
What is the best and cheapest metal gear servo for the bixler?
I've used these with good results.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Metal/Detail
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:52 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
+1. I use those on my assassin combat plane. I don't know how that helps because I've never ran into anybody or has anybody run in the me yet. I've slammed that thing into the ground so hard It scared the grass for half an acre. But I did have a servo strip out for the first time last time flying and it put my plane into the ground ( a Bix 2 ). I asked my flight instructor. "Do plastic geared servos ware out faster than the ones with metal gears" he said. "Plastic gives, metal doesn't, metal gears wear out faster."

I now realize I asked the wrong question. It should've been 'do plastic gears tearout easier than metal gears'.

Here is how this mechanical failure is changing the way I'm seeing my future purchases. I'll buy kits whenever I can. But when the deal is right on a ARF, I'll take that, and change out the parts that I don't trust.COM

Eugene, it was so good to see your avatar on my screen again. You're now in the Cape I believe. I have distinguished myself at my flying field, the RC Hawks Airpark in North Cape. I am said to have had the most spectacular crash that the group has ever witnessed. So how did I manage that, another mechanical failure. I'm buddy boxed up with Ped Coles my flight instructor, I do the 10 yards to see if its flying straight, a comment on the throttle rapidly, I'll slight right rudder to offset the torque. I eased back on the elevator in an effort to do a smooth scale takeoff and just as I did the big 5 foot wide 5 1/2 pound Cessna 182 hooked right.I went Full up elevator.

On its full speed rise it hit the last post in the chain-link fence and exploded upward into nine parts, many of which took their time settling to the ground. The two set screws in the front landing gear had backed off letting the front wheel move side to side about 15 or 20. When I relieved the weight of front wheel slightly it hooked right.

This coming Thursday night at seven o'clock. I will attend my first meeting of the RC Hawks flying club to receive the official certificate Pilots license.

Use Sir turned me on to a HeadsUp RC here in Florida and I thank you again for that. I can get what I want in 72 hrs. or less if they have it and they have a lot.

DJ
BTW: I am now known as the 'kamikaze Ace', HE WARES NO HELMET!

Here is the plane a bad servo took down. It's fine now.
Name: USCG-6.JPG
Views: 97
Size: 128.4 KB
Description:

Name: USCG-4.JPG
Views: 89
Size: 100.2 KB
Description:

Name: USCG-5.JPG
Views: 81
Size: 230.7 KB
Description:
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:17 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
+1. I use those on my assassin combat plane. I don't know how that helps because I've never ran into anybody or has anybody run in the me yet. I've slammed that thing into the ground so hard It scared the grass for half an acre. But I did have a servo strip out for the first time last time flying and it put my plane into the ground ( a Bix 2 ). I asked my flight instructor. "Do plastic geared servos ware out faster than the ones with metal gears" he said. "Plastic gives, metal doesn't, metal gears wear out faster."

I now realize I asked the wrong question. It should've been 'do plastic gears tearout easier than metal gears'.

Here is how this mechanical failure is changing the way I'm seeing my future purchases. I'll buy kits whenever I can. But when the deal is right on a ARF, I'll take that, and change out the parts that I don't trust.COM

Eugene, it was so good to see your avatar on my screen again. You're now in the Cape I believe. I have distinguished myself at my flying field, the RC Hawks Airpark in North Cape. I am said to have had the most spectacular crash that the group has ever witnessed. So how did I manage that, another mechanical failure. I'm buddy boxed up with Ped Coles my flight instructor, I do the 10 yards to see if its flying straight, a comment on the throttle rapidly, I'll slight right rudder to offset the torque. I eased back on the elevator in an effort to do a smooth scale takeoff and just as I did the big 5 foot wide 5 1/2 pound Cessna 182 hooked right.I went Full up elevator.

On its full speed rise it hit the last post in the chain-link fence and exploded upward into nine parts, many of which took their time settling to the ground. The two set screws in the front landing gear had backed off letting the front wheel move side to side about 15 or 20. When I relieved the weight of front wheel slightly it hooked right.

This coming Thursday night at seven o'clock. I will attend my first meeting of the RC Hawks flying club to receive the official certificate Pilots license.

Use Sir turned me on to a HeadsUp RC here in Florida and I thank you again for that. I can get what I want in 72 hrs. or less if they have it and they have a lot.

DJ

Your post made my day. Thank you for that.

Truth be told I haven't flown in over a year due to commitments up north and on moving down here and look forward to getting back into it all.

Congratulations on your accomplishments.
I hope to meet up with you and we can fly together some day.

PS: No one has called me Eugene since my mother passed away 4 years ago. Actually brought a tear to my eye remembering......but I can't talk like that cause I'm a big tough guy.
Thanks for the memories.

Eugene.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:50 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:

DJ

Attachment 5372949

Attachment 5372950

Attachment 5372951
Congratulations Sculptor on getting your pilots license. I say never let a crash keep a good man down.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Sculptor,

Congrats on the new pilots license !
The Bix-II is great looking. What kind of paint did you use?
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:24 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Sculptor,

Shimmy, thank you. The great humanitarian and poet Helen Keller, in the studio of the great sculptor Melvina Hoffman while running her hands over the bust of Keats turned and remarked to Melvina "life is either a grand adventure or it's nothing."

DJ
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:56 AM
Australia, TAS, Devonport
Joined May 2011
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliosphere View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7756

Well it's been another couple of months and I finally got to attempt my second (and third) RC flight today..

And it was AWESOME! No crashes this time. The Bixler handled great in just a very gentle breeze. I can see now why people say what an easy plane it is to fly, although a very large part of my success was thanks to the FMA Co-Pilot stabilisation system that we fitted which worked like a charm! Took the pressure right off to know that I could just let go of the sticks if I got into trouble and it would level itself out.

First flight I had the co-pilot set to maximum which turned out to be too much, even with full control deflection it still only turned enough for very wide lazy circles. Lucky I had a couple of people spotting for me as a few times the plane went out of my field of view because I couldn't turn it tightly enough.

Second flight we toned the sensitivity down and it was much better, I could actually bank quite steeply and keep the plane in view. Most of my flying was pretty low as it was easier for me to look straight ahead. I did try to go up a bit higher and stall it to see how it behaved and it was amazingly stable. Not sure how much of that is the plane and how much is the co-pilot.

Landing was a no-brainer, just line it up and cut the throttle for a gentle touchdown.

Man I've got the bug now that I know I can do this.. flew with a 1.8 Ah battery which didn't last long enough, glad I ordered a 2.2 Ah battery so next time I'll be able to put a couple of batteries through it.

Thanks to everyone who provided help and encouragement

I've got crappy video of the flights from my old camera, might upload them soon if the quality is good enough to see anything. Good excuse to upgrade to a better camera!
Hi everyone, I haven't posted in this thread for ages and it looks to have quietened down a lot, but just wanted to check back in with an update to my progress a little over a year after my first successful RC flights, with the awesome Bixler!

I've recently had the wing tips clipped and upgraded to a 2200kv motor and that has brought renewed interest in the otherwise slightly too sedate stock Bixler. I'm now up to about 13 planes but the upgraded Bixler is still one of my favourites to fly.

Seem to have just about all of my rookie crashes out of my system, nowadays it's only when I'm trying something stupid that I come a cropper

Anyway have a short video of the clipped Bixler in a quick blast around the local park. Thoroughly recommend the upgrade to anyone who's Bixler is gathering dust at the moment.

Clipped wing Bixler flight (3 min 46 sec)
Heliosphere is online now Find More Posts by Heliosphere
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:29 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Sculptor,

The orange paint is Krylon shortcuts. It's acrylic-based or water-based is called glow orange. But when dry rub off on your fingers, so I covered it with men wax water-based polyurethane to seal it and it remained flat. The blue stripe is actually a peel and stick pinstriping I bought from a boat shop.

I'm spending more and more time trying to learn how to actually finish foam one of the best things you can do to any foam plane, especially one that is white is coat with acrylic floor wax. It's as thin as water, but leaves a acrylic film on the plane and leaves it shiny. So now I don't get fingerprints all over the foam handling the plane. Another thing once it's coated with floor wax it can be painted with any kind of paint.

Nothing wants to stick epo foam. The O stands for 'olafin' which is the plastic used in commercial carpets in high wear and high stain areas, restaurants, banks, etc. But mop and glow acrylic floor wax or Hathaway floor finish sticks pretty well to the EPO foam.

Thanks for your interest,
DJ
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:10 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,823 Posts
nm ...]
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Last edited by JohnVH; Dec 16, 2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:35 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,272 Posts
Quote:
The orange paint is Krylon shortcuts. It's acrylic-based or water-based is called glow orange. But when dry rub off on your fingers, so I covered it with men wax water-based polyurethane to seal it and it remained flat. The blue stripe is actually a peel and stick pinstriping I bought from a boat shop.

I'm spending more and more time trying to learn how to actually finish foam one of the best things you can do to any foam plane, especially one that is white is coat with acrylic floor wax. It's as thin as water, but leaves a acrylic film on the plane and leaves it shiny. So now I don't get fingerprints all over the foam handling the plane. Another thing once it's coated with floor wax it can be painted with any kind of paint.

Nothing wants to stick epo foam. The O stands for 'olafin' which is the plastic used in commercial carpets in high wear and high stain areas, restaurants, banks, etc. But mop and glow acrylic floor wax or Hathaway floor finish sticks pretty well to the EPO foam.

Thanks for your interest,
DJ
Yes, the pure acrylic floor wax works well since only ammonia will remove it. It can also be used to think water based paints for spraying.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:40 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,272 Posts
Quote:
Hi everyone, I haven't posted in this thread for ages and it looks to have quietened down a lot, but just wanted to check back in with an update to my progress a little over a year after my first successful RC flights, with the awesome Bixler!

I've recently had the wing tips clipped and upgraded to a 2200kv motor and that has brought renewed interest in the otherwise slightly too sedate stock Bixler. I'm now up to about 13 planes but the upgraded Bixler is still one of my favourites to fly.

Seem to have just about all of my rookie crashes out of my system, nowadays it's only when I'm trying something stupid that I come a cropper

Anyway have a short video of the clipped Bixler in a quick blast around the local park. Thoroughly recommend the upgrade to anyone who's Bixler is gathering dust at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcFO2uzBpzc
Impressive flying and equally as impressive control system. Nicely done. Where did you clip the wings? At the end of the ailerons?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:41 AM
Australia, TAS, Devonport
Joined May 2011
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Impressive flying and equally as impressive control system. Nicely done. Where did you clip the wings? At the end of the ailerons?
Hi prof, thanks, we clipped them at about 1 inch past the end of the ailerons as you can see in the below picture. Cheers.
Heliosphere is online now Find More Posts by Heliosphere
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:24 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,272 Posts
Quote:
Hi prof, thanks, we clipped them at about 1 inch past the end of the ailerons as you can see in the below picture. Cheers.
Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:12 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,157 Posts
I simply could not bring myself to clip the wings of a perfectly good Bixler.
Perhaps if crashed broke a tip, THEN I might do it!
-B!
Fugitive_Bill is online now Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:37 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcFO2uzBpzc
That was an awsome bit of flying there, congrats,also,i like your flying style,ate up alot of sky.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer