HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:14 PM
NY
Joined Nov 2003
175 Posts
GLOW POWER , I appreciate very much your response, that is all I wanted to know for now.
Small Bird is offline Find More Posts by Small Bird
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:09 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Severly lacking posts here... maybe due to the east coast storm. Hope everyone is ok!!
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:54 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstclyz View Post
It sounds like the consensus is to cut the foam hinges and use 3m tape or pinned hinges? I use the 3m method on my ZII which work pretty good, but with this bigger SSS, I'm conflicted. This SSS will have a larger motor and be faster so I'm guessing I should use pinned hinges? Thx
I use pinned hinges for all the moving surfaces. I also wire them on and wire the control horns too.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
Severly lacking posts here... maybe due to the east coast storm. Hope everyone is ok!!
I think Gene went back up to watch his old house float away.

All kidding aside I do hope everyone is safe. Possessions can be replaced. People can not.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:16 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
I think Gene went back up to watch his old house float away.

All kidding aside I do hope everyone is safe. Possessions can be replaced. People can not.
My house up there did fine. That area lost a few trees and had minor flooding even though the eye passed through. Those in and near flood zones had trouble. Most the severe damage was along the coast. It's going to be a long time before those coastal towns are back to normal.

Living in Florida and my kids in NJ, I always thought they would be worrying about us during a hurricane ....not the other way around.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Nov 01, 2012, 07:28 AM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
and speaking of NJ.....

After having dug to a depth of 10 feet last year, New York archaeologists found traces of copper wire dating back 100 years and came to the conclusion that their ancestors already had a telephone network more than 100 years ago.

Not to be outdone by the New Yorkers, in the weeks that followed, a California archaeologist dug to a depth of 20 feet, and shortly after,
a story in the LA Times read:" California archaeologists, finding traces of 200 year old copper wire, have concluded that their ancestors already had an advanced high-tech communications network a hundred years earlier than the New Yorkers."

One week later, The Jersey Journal, a local newspaper in New Jersey ,
reported the following:
"After digging as deep as 30 feet in his back yard, Vinny 'Boda Bing' Manziano, a self-taught archaeologist, reported that he found absolutely nothing. Vinny has therefore concluded that 300 years ago, New Jersey had already gone wireless."
Just makes me proud to be from New Jersey
Old Nov 01, 2012, 06:46 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
and speaking of NJ.....

After having dug to a depth of 10 feet last year, New York archaeologists found traces of copper wire dating back 100 years and came to the conclusion that their ancestors already had a telephone network more than 100 years ago.

Not to be outdone by the New Yorkers, in the weeks that followed, a California archaeologist dug to a depth of 20 feet, and shortly after,
a story in the LA Times read:" California archaeologists, finding traces of 200 year old copper wire, have concluded that their ancestors already had an advanced high-tech communications network a hundred years earlier than the New Yorkers."

One week later, The Jersey Journal, a local newspaper in New Jersey ,
reported the following:
"After digging as deep as 30 feet in his back yard, Vinny 'Boda Bing' Manziano, a self-taught archaeologist, reported that he found absolutely nothing. Vinny has therefore concluded that 300 years ago, New Jersey had already gone wireless."
Just makes me proud to be from New Jersey
Heck. And I thought this story would end up with mention of Jimmy Hoffa.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:07 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Heck. And I thought this story would end up with mention of Jimmy Hoffa.
Vinny didn't dig quite deep enough
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:03 PM
will fly for food
United States, CA, Ben Lomond
Joined Mar 2011
1,093 Posts
paint brand/type

Anyone know a good paint choice for this type of foam?
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
How do people find the foam quality of the Bixler? It seems very brittle compared to the easystar and hawksky and would break before absorbing impact.
GLOW POWER is offline Find More Posts by GLOW POWER
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:57 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,152 Posts
I find it OKAY, light because it's EPO and not EPP, but I have not crashed it yet.
The most damage it's got from our new kitten sharpening her claws on all my planes!!
-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is online now Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:39 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW POWER View Post
How do people find the foam quality of the Bixler? It seems very brittle compared to the easystar and hawksky and would break before absorbing impact.
I have the Sky Surfer version (but should be basically the same). I've smashed mine into the ground several times. The nose has taken it on the nose (hah) and come out just fine. Smooshed, bent, crumpled, but largely unbroken.

I did manage to break off the nose in my maiden flight but it has performed very well since then. Nothing a little gorilla glue can't fix.

I've never flow a EZ or hawksky though, so I can't comment how different they are.
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Nov 2011
18 Posts
Ajbaker! Well ,lots of things have happened in the meantime.I have charged my 300mA lipos with the charger you recomment ,as I have 2 of them, but the current is a bit too high for my liking.Therefore I have decided to build my own. Power source is 12V car battery . There will be 2 independent 300mA regulated current sources, followed by 2 voltage regulators.Each charging separate lipos at max. 300mA! I don't believe in fast charging !! Also , I have built the circuit you recomment. It works very well. I have modified it by connecting a voltage comparator across the current limitter resistor, giving me an indication of the state of charging. As I am a newcomer to the hobby,I had to learn a few lessons. I tried to maiden my skysurfer 780 , but it was too windy and after climbing , it was caught by the wind and ended up in a low tree. Came appart and fell safely to the ground. Next attempt: Looking at the horizontal stabiliser I noticed , it had a bit of up elevator, which I corrected and took her to the park (on a calm day). Half throttle and a good push into the wind , but she would not climb and landed, not too hard, on the ground.Next try:Full throttle, stronger push ,but she would not climb and hit the ground at greater speed.After that , the brushed motor sounded a bit odd and after a while stopped operating. Checked the motor with an ohm meter for continuity,open circuit.Took motor appart, brushes did not make contact. Adjust brush holders - continuity - motor will not run on an external battery . Check esc - no output. Decide to convert plane to brushless . I have not ordered any parts as yet, because servos are not in stock. So much for my "Flying experience." Ps: I hope you had a good laugh. 807gt, Gerhard in Melbourne.
807gt is offline Find More Posts by 807gt
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Tunigy D2826-6 in a Bixler1

I will be putting a Turnigy D2826-6 in my new Bixler1 kit. I have read here that some people reverse the motor mounting so that the motor is completely outside the foam of the plane.

Is this necessary? Is it recommended?

Thanks

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:33 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I will be putting a Turnigy D2826-6 in my new Bixler1 kit. I have read here that some people reverse the motor mounting so that the motor is completely outside the foam of the plane.

Is this necessary? Is it recommended?

Thanks

Shimmy
Basically a out runner such as yours would be mounted outside the fuse and a inrunner would be mounted inside.
You can do whatever you prefer.