HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:03 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57 View Post
Is there a good way to securely attach the horizontal and vertical stabilizers such that they are removable? I thought I saw a post somewhere on this forum where an individual secured the stabilizers via a bolt and nut, but can't seem to find it.
If you had read the thread title and then gone to post 3 you would Have found your answer!!!
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57 View Post
Is there a good way to securely attach the horizontal and vertical stabilizers such that they are removable? I thought I saw a post somewhere on this forum where an individual secured the stabilizers via a bolt and nut, but can't seem to find it.
I did this mod to my SS-1 since I am short on storage space. It had the disadvantage of requiring me to adjust the linkage stoppers each time I assembled the plane. On one of my hard landings, it all came apart. The nut pulled out of the vertical stabilizer and the bolt pulled through fuse. I then just CA's everything in place.

If I do this mod on by next plane I am thinking of using a small metal "cement anchor" I would CA the nut in the tube and insert (and CA) the tube into the Vertical Stabilizer. I think having a washer down at the bottom will keep the bolt from pulling through the fuse.

The simpler option is to just CA the stabilizer in place.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:21 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I did this mod to my SS-1 since I am short on storage space. It had the disadvantage of requiring me to adjust the linkage stoppers each time I assembled the plane. On one of my hard landings, it all came apart. The nut pulled out of the vertical stabilizer and the bolt pulled through fuse. I then just CA's everything in place.

If I do this mod on by next plane I am thinking of using a small metal "cement anchor" I would CA the nut in the tube and insert (and CA) the tube into the Vertical Stabilizer. I think having a washer down at the bottom will keep the bolt from pulling through the fuse.

The simpler option is to just CA the stabilizer in place.
I find that regular CA does not do so well with EPP foam. I broke my wing and tried to use CA glue but it did not bond but Gorilla glue did the trick.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:33 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
I find that regular CA does not do so well with EPP foam. I broke my wing and tried to use CA glue but it did not bond but Gorilla glue did the trick.
Do you mean EPO?
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Sep 2010
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
If you had read the thread title and then gone to post 3 you would Have found your answer!!!
You are right, and I did look there, but apparently didn't think to search for "tail feathers" instead of "stabilizer". Either way - thanks!
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:24 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
Do you mean EPO?
yes
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:41 PM
BldrFlyr
Joined Jan 2012
87 Posts
I'm new to Sky Surfers/Bixlers but just picked up a SSS and doing some mods to it for long range FPV flying.

I sounds like the consensus is to cut the foam hinges and use 3m tape or pinned hinges? I use the 3m method on my ZII which work pretty good, but with this bigger SSS, I'm conflicted. This SSS will have a larger motor and be faster so I'm guessing I should use pinned hinges? Thx
Fstclyz is offline Find More Posts by Fstclyz
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:49 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
Joined Jan 2012
1,136 Posts
So.. some of you read about my mishap with the small nut coming off of my aileron linkage a while back, well.. i replaced it with a nylon push on thing and it has worked great, but on my last flight, the loose nuts attacked again! before i put it in the air, i snugged up all the nuts (Left aileron, Rudder, Elevator) and got her up. But, after I was flying for about 5 minutes, I noticed i had no elevator! so i had to make a couple landing attempts to finally get it down on the ground safely, then i looked to see what was wrong, and the nut on the elevator had come off, Along with the one on my rudder!! So, i will be replacing all of these with the nylon push on thingies. Anyone who gets a V4 SS, watch out for this!!!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:27 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
So.. some of you read about my mishap with the small nut coming off of my aileron linkage a while back, well.. i replaced it with a nylon push on thing and it has worked great, but on my last flight, the loose nuts attacked again! before i put it in the air, i snugged up all the nuts (Left aileron, Rudder, Elevator) and got her up. But, after I was flying for about 5 minutes, I noticed i had no elevator! so i had to make a couple landing attempts to finally get it down on the ground safely, then i looked to see what was wrong, and the nut on the elevator had come off, Along with the one on my rudder!! So, i will be replacing all of these with the nylon push on thingies. Anyone who gets a V4 SS, watch out for this!!!
There are quite a few of us that don't have any problems with the stock "linkage stopper (HK Name)]" The reason is that we (well, I) put a very small 1/10 of a drop of CA on the outside of the nut. Careful, though, not to get any CA on the nylon or it freeze up the control horn/push rod. It is easy to avoid this problem by simply using a piece of .032 (or smaller) music wire as a crude "paint brush" to apply the CA to the center of the nut. Apply CA Accelerator immediately.
Using the above procedure, it is still easy to remove the nut at a later date whenever you need to work on that area.
I attached the latest CA remover for your testing.

AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
Joined Jan 2012
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
There are quite a few of us that don't have any problems with the stock "linkage stopper (HK Name)]" The reason is that we (well, I) put a very small 1/10 of a drop of CA on the outside of the nut. Careful, though, not to get any CA on the nylon or it freeze up the control horn/push rod. It is easy to avoid this problem by simply using a piece of .032 (or smaller) music wire as a crude "paint brush" to apply the CA to the center of the nut. Apply CA Accelerator immediately.
Using the above procedure, it is still easy to remove the nut at a later date whenever you need to work on that area in the future.
I attached the latest CA remover for your testing.

AJ
Yeah, i'm aware of it being my own fault , and no damage was done, i'm not trying to blame anyone but myself. Also, just warning anyone to not do what i did

So! People! Do What AJ Says!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I can CRA$H that!
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Dec 2010
141 Posts
Sky Surfer Maiden with an emergency landing.

Seth's Sky Surfer Maiden with emergency landing. (3 min 48 sec)
thndr1mj is offline Find More Posts by thndr1mj
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
Well my bixler arrived today and I have to say that I am disappointed in the packaging. The right wing was packed in a way that crumpled the trailing edge and broke the wingtip. Oh well I'll try the hot water method.
GLOW POWER is offline Find More Posts by GLOW POWER
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:56 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Please read the instructions

Read the instructions for this one. - A VERY common problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW POWER View Post
Well my bixler arrived today and I have to say that I am disappointed in the packaging. The right wing was packed in a way that crumpled the trailing edge and broke the wingtip. Oh well I'll try the hot water method.
I strongly encourage you to read Page #1, Post #2 & #3. A lot of folks have given freely of their time, talents, and experience to keep you (and me) out of trouble. But, most of us are human. I want to put the doggone thing together and fly it. I will read the instructions later. I just don't have the time to do it right. But, it seems that I always have the time to do it OVER.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:48 PM
NY
Joined Nov 2003
175 Posts
Hello, all
Does Bixler really need rudder? It is tiny anyway. Easy to enlarge, but do I need it?
Depends, how I fly? Anybody tried to without it? I did not start assembling my kit yet.
Small Bird is offline Find More Posts by Small Bird
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Hello, all
Does Bixler really need rudder? It is tiny anyway. Easy to enlarge, but do I need it?
Depends, how I fly? Anybody tried to without it? I did not start assembling my kit yet.
no you don't need it, it is not too small though. What is a rudder for though? it is counter adverse yaw in a turn (not a big problem on a bixler), it is to combat a crosswind when landing on a runway (not a problem on the bixler) and it is to keep your aerobatics precise (the bixler is not a precision aerobat so not a problem). I would keep it if i were you because keeping the wings level whilst turning is important to keep the model under wraps in a big wind. The rudder does not need to be enlarged because it is directly behind the slipstream of the prop and there it is more than enough for the above uses.
GLOW POWER is offline Find More Posts by GLOW POWER