Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joe_Crash
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
426 Posts
No v1, v2, v3 or v4

Hey Everyone,
I searched for this as I'm probably going to buy either the Bixler 2 or the Sky Surfer which is basically the same plane. I was confused about all the comments about the Sky Surfer having a v2, v3 and v4, so I sent an email to my favorite vendor, ReadyMadeRC.

Here is a cut and past of the answer. Hope that this is helpful to someone!

Hello Joe,

Ok, here's the word from Tim on this:

"Common question, incorrect comments on the forums. There is no such thing as a "V1, V2, V3" Sky Surfer. There are just more than one manufacturer of the plane! The one we carry is considered the best for FPV, with the servos on the sides of the fuselage instead of in the middle under the canopy. It has a solid foam canopy, not the clear one sold by some of the other vendors."

We'll be adding some RTF and PNP to stock on the next orders as well so you can look out for those in the future.

Thanks,
Dave"
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:28 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crash View Post
Hey Everyone,
I searched for this as I'm probably going to buy either the Bixler 2 or the Sky Surfer which is basically the same plane. I was confused about all the comments about the Sky Surfer having a v2, v3 and v4, so I sent an email to my favorite vendor, ReadyMadeRC.

Here is a cut and past of the answer. Hope that this is helpful to someone!

Hello Joe,

"Common question, incorrect comments on the forums. There is no such thing as a "V1, V2, V3" Sky Surfer. There are just more than one manufacturer of the plane! The one we carry is considered the best for FPV, with the servos on the sides of the fuselage instead of in the middle under the canopy. It has a solid foam canopy, not the clear one sold by some of the other vendors."

We'll be adding some RTF and PNP to stock on the next orders as well so you can look out for those in the future.

Thanks,
Dave"
Theirs is the one I went with and I am VERY happy with it. And the price is right!

Don't know what you have in mind for a motor, but this one http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail will get it up there real quick. It looks to be the same one I got for mine and it will climb at well over 45 degrees continually. It is a good bit heavier than the one that comes in the arfs, but it is much stronger.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Oct 20, 2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:17 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Sky Surfer Versions

Quote:
Hello Joe,

Thanks,
Dave"
Well, that is what I would say if I only carried one type of plane. Don't ever ask a vendor about this kind of thing because they will always answer whatever suits what they are selling. FWIW-They only sell version 1.
There are currently 4 versions of the SkyS albeit different manufacturers.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:17 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Well, that is what I would say if I only carried one type of plane. Don't ever ask a vendor about this kind of thing because they will always answer whatever suits what they are selling. FWIW-They only sell version 1.
There are currently 4 versions of the SkyS albeit different manufacturers.
AJ
Actually they carry a number of different planes. Almost all are FPV friendly designs though. Maybe that is what you mean by 'one type of plane'. The shop does specialize in FPV, and the V1 Skysurfer does have a good bit more room internally than the later versions so it does not surprise me that it is the only version of the SkySurfer they carry. They also don't carry the Super SkySurfer which actually tends to surprise me. I had hoped they would so I wouldn't have to deal with Banana, but it seems Banana has that one locked up so far. Just ordered one of those tonight in the kit form.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Last edited by Gordks; Oct 21, 2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:31 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Actually they carry a number of different planes. Almost all are FPV friendly designs though. Maybe that is what you mean by 'one type of plane'. The shop does specialize in FPV, and the V1 Skysurfer does have a good bit more room internally than the later versions so it does not surprise me that it is the only version of the SkySurfer they carry. They also don't carry the Super SkySurfer which actually tends to surprise me. I had hoped they would so I wouldn't have to deal with Banana, but it seems Banana has that one locked up so far. Just ordered one of those tonight in the kit form.

Gord
That is what I meant - Well, sort of. What I meant is that they only carry the Sky Surfer-Version1 (so, of course, it is the best according to them). That is what I would say if I only had a SkyS V1.
When you get your SSS (yes, BH has that one locked up-), please join the SSS thread.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 22, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Clarify post
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:21 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Raining on a persons parade again,are you.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Oct 22, 2012, 04:50 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Raining on a persons parade again,are you.
As usual, you contribute nothing.
AJ
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joe_Crash
United States, MD, Gaithersburg
Joined Oct 2010
426 Posts
Hey aj;
I really don't know the answer to that one then; I've dealt w/ this before and they have great customer service. But again, I haven't really looked anywhere else for it. Asking the vendor seemed like the logical thing to do, but you do have a point about having a vested interest in what they present to their customers. I'll stay with them though till I find another one I'm more happy with. Who would you suggest I ask besides a vendor? I would think they'd have the best info, and if they were honest would be objective about what they tell their customers.
(and then again, I almost bought the Brooklyn Bridge the other day. Great deal on it too, lol!)
joe_crash is offline Find More Posts by joe_crash
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:51 AM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
As usual, you contribute nothing.
AJ
I am sure a lot of fellas will give him good advice, I did have somthing else to say, but apparently r.c.g does not fall into the whole free speech thing.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Last edited by Limited flyer; Oct 23, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:34 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Hey aj;
I really don't know the answer to that one then; I've dealt w/ this before and they have great customer service. But again, I haven't really looked anywhere else for it. Asking the vendor seemed like the logical thing to do, but you do have a point about having a vested interest in what they present to their customers. I'll stay with them though till I find another one I'm more happy with. Who would you suggest I ask besides a vendor? I would think they'd have the best info, and if they were honest would be objective about what they tell their customers.
(and then again, I almost bought the Brooklyn Bridge the other day. Great deal on it too, lol!)
Hee. Hee. Hee.
Actually, they have a great reputation and if they had something that I wanted, I would not hesitate to do business with them. I was just pointing out that they would tell you that the V1 is the best (which it arguablly is) because that is what they have. The great thing about RCG is that you can query many opinions and get accurate opinions from everyone and then make up your own mind. FWIW-The Sky Surfer V1 (exactly the same as a Bixler 1) is probably the best of the lot for FPV. So, I do agree with them in this case. But, not all vendors are trustworthy. I hope that clears that up. I DO NOT want to trash them for the above reasons.
AJ
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:31 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
FWIW, I have the RMRC Sky Surfer (aka version 1, aka bixler 1) and love it to pieces. I've abused it far more than one should abuse a plane. The nose section is practically all gorilla glue now. But it keeps flying well and doesn't complain at all
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:52 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfractal View Post
I've abused it far more than one should abuse a plane. The nose section is practically all gorilla glue now. But it keeps flying well and doesn't complain at all
It sounds like the start of a "mine has more Gorilla glue than anyone else's", meaning mine too has a rebuilt nose, wings, rear fuselage, etc. And yes, it keeps flying despite the abuse.

One day I might become a good / careful / gentle pilot, say another 50 years, don't rush it.
Mac50L is online now Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
I am sure a lot of fellas will give him good advice, I did have somthing else to say, but apparently r.c.g does not fall into the whole free speech thing.
No, I think they want people to have decent social behavior. And to do that, they have to suppress certain people.

And i'm sure mostly everyone that saw you post was disappointing, and slightly embarrassed (like myself) that people will come here to cause trouble rather than cause strife.
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
For what its worth, I posted some buddy codes on the the buddy code thread Here

Some carbon and stuff, but what might interest people is Bixler-1 kit for $32.07.. Good until Nov 5.

Happy Hunting,

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:35 PM
Joined Sep 2010
294 Posts
Is there a good way to securely attach the horizontal and vertical stabilizers such that they are removable? I thought I saw a post somewhere on this forum where an individual secured the stabilizers via a bolt and nut, but can't seem to find it.
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57