HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:35 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangetsu57 View Post
I take it you recommend using hot glue then? Not a bad idea. It might be difficult though to apply the glue and attach both sides before it hardens. That said, the foam is flexible enough that I could probably get away with doing the nose then the tail.

Would you happen to know if if contact cement detaches from foam when wet with isopropyl alchohol?
I had the same thought when I read that post. Hot glue seems like a bad idea to me. That shiny surface of most EPO/EPP types of foam is not going to give much adhesion to hot glue and I can not see how you could get the parts together before the glue hardens anyway. I would bet that just a bit of bending force would split the sides apart quite easily. I would have to run reinforced tape along the joint to have any faith in the plane. But, if I was going to use tape, why even bother with the hot glue? Something like this might be a way of holding the sides together > http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Transpa.../dp/B0000DH8I8 I have used it on both a MiniMoa and a Sky Surfer and it sticks extremely well to the foam. AND it wears well along the bottom where the Sky Surfer slides on the ground on landing, so it would be serving dual purposes. Just another idea.

Those glue dots that someone mentioned earlier seem like a really good idea too.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:42 PM
KK4QIN
United States, GA, Cornelia
Joined Jan 2012
1,102 Posts
I agree with the tape idea also, even though i havent had problems with hot glue not sticking. you could use a few dabs to keep it in place while taping though. Tap will be the easiest, simplest, quickest, and most foolproof in my opinion.
nightfox7 is offline Find More Posts by nightfox7
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
I don't agree with the use of hot glue on large applications. It would be hard to stick the fuselage together. When most glues dry the moisture in them evaporates and the glue hardens, Once the moisture is gone then the glue is almost weightless, hot glue is very heavy.
I would recommend that before using any glue, you sand the parts that are about to be glued so that the foam isn't smooth. I used F2 contact adhesive for my Hawksky fuz and when the Bixler arrives I'll be using 15 minute epoxy.
GLOW POWER is offline Find More Posts by GLOW POWER
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:45 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
990 Posts
Some of us use Gorilla polyurethane glue. Then run masking tape along the join until the glue is dry. This should stop most of the glue from foaming out. Any that does can be sanded down.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:44 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
I use this stuff

This works really good to and is available at Wal Mart.Very similar to the foam tac
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:34 PM
KK4QIN
Joined Jan 2012
1,102 Posts
Well I had an interesting experience today with the skyS. While flying, the small nut on the right aileron linkage had apparently worked its way loose and popped off while in flight.. the the whole rod flopped down and was hanging by the servo arm. When this happened, the right wing started pitching up and down horribly(I was going pretty fast only about 10-15 feet off the ground) luckily my fingers were smart and I reduced the throttle and got a little altitude to reduce the speed so the aileron wouldn't flap so much (I saw the rod hanging down so I knew what had happened). Then I cut the motor and glided it in for a very uneventful landing. I was stoked to get it down in one piece.

Lesson learned: do a VERY detailed pre flight.

-Seth
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:08 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
quick flight with my Bixler the other night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sws-O0Benak
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
I use this stuff

... ...
I am getting a Bixler kit which comes with some Foam Glue. I planned to use dots of this every 6 cm (2.5 inch) or so and reinforce with clear tape on the top and fiber tape on the bottom.

Is this included glue good stuff or not worth dealing with ?
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:53 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
I am getting a Bixler kit which comes with some Foam Glue. I planned to use dots of this every 6 cm (2.5 inch) or so and reinforce with clear tape on the top and fiber tape on the bottom.

Yea that'll work. I didn't use tape on the top, just glue and its fine. I did put tape on the bottom for landing purposes though, not to hold the fuse together.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:31 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
Well I had an interesting experience today with the skyS. While flying, the small nut on the right aileron linkage had apparently worked its way loose and popped off while in flight.. the the whole rod flopped down and was hanging by the servo arm. When this happened, the right wing started pitching up and down horribly(I was going pretty fast only about 10-15 feet off the ground) luckily my fingers were smart and I reduced the throttle and got a little altitude to reduce the speed so the aileron wouldn't flap so much (I saw the rod hanging down so I knew what had happened). Then I cut the motor and glided it in for a very uneventful landing. I was stoked to get it down in one piece.

Lesson learned: do a VERY detailed pre flight.

-Seth
Quick fingers and fast thinking! I'm pretty sure I would have just smashed into the ground. Are you going to replace the linkages with the snap-on clevises, or just give it a good tighten before each flight?
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:28 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post

Any of those glues I have gotten with kits was a fairly runny form of what seems, and smells like a strong rubber cement. They have worked great. And they did seem to be rubbery enough when cured to allow the parts to be pulled or pried apart slowly, but strong enough to hold fine in normal use. Dots of that, as you describe, sounds like a great way to allow it to be taken apart again and probably strong enough even without the tape. But I would use the tape anyway! I'de hate to find out later that the glue alone wasn't enough!

Gord
Last edited by Gordks; Oct 19, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:40 PM
KK4QIN
Joined Jan 2012
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfractal View Post
Quick fingers and fast thinking! I'm pretty sure I would have just smashed into the ground. Are you going to replace the linkages with the snap-on clevises, or just give it a good tighten before each flight?
Lol thanks.
And I'm probably going to just replace the little nut and use some locktite so it won't rattle off again.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:38 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
I wouldn't use hot glue on strategic places. At least in my location in summer. It's melt itself without assistance of some sort. I was able just to take out ballast washers by hands. Not very easy but not a hard. I prefer to crash due to "software" - my mistake rather than "hardware" - bad parts or assembly. All IMHO.
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:14 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
I use this stuff

This works really good to and is available at Wal Mart.Very similar to the foam tac
Definitely agree on the Foam Tack. Now that I have been reminded, I recall that that is what I used on my Sky Surfer. In large quantities is will soften the foam a bit but it recovers after the glue sets.

Have not tried the Quick Grip on foam, but I am finding it quite useful in other applications. The little black rubber buttons on the bottom of computer keyboards that fall out after a year or two is one place. Scrape off the remains of the original adhesive, clean with alcohol and use Quick Grip.

Gord
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:24 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,776 Posts
Foam Tack is the best :-)
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal