HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:24 AM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
310 Posts
Carbon comparison

As promissed before I made some measures for carbon tubes and rods in different combinations.
I purchased following items:
6x5x1000mm tube
6x3x1000mm tube
4x2x1000mm tube
3x1000mm rod

I cut all of them to 678mm for Bixler. Each end I put on box from 2200mah accumulator to get some clearance to table. Load is Turnigy nano-tech 2200mah accumulator.

Now photos with comments
Name: 3mm rod wothout load.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 182.5 KB
Description: 3mm rod without load
3mm rod without load
Name: 3mm rod with load.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 115.8 KB
Description: 3mm rod with load
3mm rod with load
Name: 6x5mm tube without load.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 155.1 KB
Description: 6x5mm tube without load
6x5mm tube without load
Name: 6x5mm tube with load.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 155.1 KB
Description: 6x5mm tube with load
6x5mm tube with load
Name: 2012-10-07 14.16.43.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 144.8 KB
Description: 6x5mm tube plus 4x2mm tube with load
6x5mm tube plus 4x2mm tube with load
Name: 2012-10-07 14.17.30.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 144.2 KB
Description: 6x3mm tube with load
6x3mm tube with load
Name: 6x3mm tube plus 3mm rod with load.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 134.9 KB
Description: 6x3mm tube plus 3mm rod with load
6x3mm tube plus 3mm rod with load
Name: 4x2mm tube with load.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 122.3 KB
Description: 4x2mm tube with load
4x2mm tube with load

As you can see there is no visible difference between 6x5+4x2 and 6x3+3. Both works the same.
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Good Bye Sky Surfer 1- Hello Bixler 2

Well today I learned a valuable lesson. Don't fly in high winds. Right after I took off my SS1 started to tip stall. Every time it turned it back to me (in to the wind) and try to power back closer, it tipped stalled. Last I saw it it was heading east.

So now I guess that it is time to buy a Bixler-2. Having gained a littler build experience and having several of the parts that I already purchased, I will buy a kit.

If anyone has a buy list I would appreciate seeing it.

I have a couple of these Turnigy D2826 6 2200kv Motors so I would like to use those. Will this fit in the Bix2 ?

I also have a Turnigy Plush 30A ESC.

What spare Horns a clevis ?
How long is the rod in the Bixler 2 ? I have some fiber, but I don't know if it is long enough.
How lone servo extension do I need to put int the wing, so that I wont have to open everything to swap servos? Is 45 cm enough or do I need 60 ?

I have a cheap FlySky 4 ch Tx. What Rx should I get. (I will hopefully move up to a better Tx at some point so I would like to be able to use what I get in the future).

too many questions for one post.
Thanks for all the advice.

Even though I am grounded until I order-receive-build my kit I will still be lurking on this thread. I really enjoy it.

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Last edited by Shimmy; Oct 07, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
114 Posts
hi guys, just some little questions
just bought a bixler kit
i wanted to glue the bixler with foam glue (contact cement) control horns and motor mount with 5 min epoxy and CA on the 3 vertical surfaces of the servos (so i can get them of if wanted with a knife. am i doing it right?

Another thing...i want to mount a 2826 turnigy motor..are carbon fiber rods on wings fusolage and tail really necessary?
mick3485 is offline Find More Posts by mick3485
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:05 PM
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
That is not the way it is supposed to be. It was damaged somewhere along the way. If you fill a sink or a bucket with real hot water and dip that wing tip in the water for a minute or so it will very likely come out looking much like the other one. If it does not get all the way on it's own, give it a little help while it is warm. BTW, don't use boiling water and definitely don't try steam. Both will cause the foam to become quite bumpy on the surface. You are trying to get the foam hot all the way through without overheating the surface. This will cause it to expand very close to the way it was before it got bent up. BTW, I don't know what effect this will have on the decals.

Thanks a ton for the information and the suggestion. I am emailing the company I got it from to see if they think it's worth a shot or if I should send it back. I am 99% sure it was not damaged in the shipping because it took 2 days to arrive and the box was in very acceptable condition. And the Sky Surfer box inside that box was in even better condition. The seller was actually out of stock with Sky Surfers but when I emailed them the store owner said he had found a couple in the store. I'm guessing they were returns and he accidentally sent me one with a defective wing. So I will see what the store owner says and if he tells me to give this "dip it in hot water" method a shot I will post before and after pics or maybe even do a video so I can offer information on this issue for people in the future.

Once again thanks for the help and if anyone else has suggestions: my post asking for help on my defective wing with pictures (and my first post on this forum) is on the page before this one. I'd truly appreciate your opinion!
TimeTrave1er is offline Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:20 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTrave1er View Post
Thanks a ton for the information and the suggestion. I am emailing the company I got it from to see if they think it's worth a shot or if I should send it back. I am 99% sure it was not damaged in the shipping because it took 2 days to arrive and the box was in very acceptable condition. And the Sky Surfer box inside that box was in even better condition. The seller was actually out of stock with Sky Surfers but when I emailed them the store owner said he had found a couple in the store. I'm guessing they were returns and he accidentally sent me one with a defective wing. So I will see what the store owner says and if he tells me to give this "dip it in hot water" method a shot I will post before and after pics or maybe even do a video so I can offer information on this issue for people in the future.

Once again thanks for the help and if anyone else has suggestions: my post asking for help on my defective wing with pictures (and my first post on this forum) is on the page before this one. I'd truly appreciate your opinion!
That kind of damage seldom comes from bad shipping, it comes from bad packing. On a foam plane all thats in that box must be nearly 'floated. No it's most lickly likely bad packing.

Try to fix it and if your not happy then contact HK and tell them you want it replaced.

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:57 PM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
650 Posts
Hello SKIMMY
Sorry about the RC. That does happen.
Did you add a carbon ribbon bar to the wings. I still get a little tip stall , when I get to slow in a turn, and when pulling back on the stick to keep a dip out of the turn. Asking about the carbon ribbon in the wings. If you do not put anything in the wings, they will flex and bend very easy. With the Carbon Ribbon in the wings, You will take almost all of the flex out of them.
I use the .032X.310X60" from www.canuckengineering.com out of Colo.
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Oct 08, 2012, 03:44 AM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
I have ordered a bixler and it is on the way. For my first plane I bought a hawksky. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Anyway, I have been looking through this thread and other sites and it really bothers me that a lot of people insist that the bixler needs many accessories and modification to fly. I have no experience with the Bixler yet so I cannot speak for the electronics, however the airframe needs absolutely no reinforcing, the tail is perfectly up to the job and the hinges will last for months(years) if not bumped. I Know 3 people with Bixlers and they all use them with everything stock. Of coarse these reinforcements may be important for FPV. The hawksky had no carbon down the fuselage or tail at all and it has lasted me 2 years,(the fuselage and tail are still in one piece). The biggest problem that I have is when "experienced modelers" come along and complicate things for beginners (the people who the plane was designed for) It is easy to say replace the prop adapter but it is not as easy for new people in the hobby to know what to get. I will admit that the wing needs to be held on, But no way does it need a fancy rubber band or Velcro system, a bit of tape did the job for me.
Here is a review someone dd of the bixler/skysurfer. It is clear that this person has absolutely no ingenuity. I'm sure that everyone will agree with me on this review http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...-the-Bixler-v1
I also think that a 6mm spar is up to the job, The hawksky had one and I am amazed that it held together during some of my pull ups!
GLOW POWER is offline Find More Posts by GLOW POWER
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:21 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,607 Posts
Though the bix will fly fine stock, the re-enforcements that everyone suggests are because of weeknesses in the design, if you fly it carefully you will probably not have a problem, but if you start trying to do any high G manouvers it is not that hard to fold a wing :P.

I fly mine FPV and about twice as heavy as most (atleast most non-FPV ones), and the only thing I have added is CF down the fuse (takes all of 30 seconds to glue it in place), and one down the middle of the stock wing spar (also only takes 30 seconds to install). I have flown it aerobatically though I do not with my FPV gear, but I know it can do it with just those 2 spars added. Even the stock servos are still mostly doing well, only one crapped out on me and that was the elevator (and mostly do to my crappy rerouting of the pushrod!), which luckily happened on the ground only a few days ago and I have been flying this plane 3 to 5 times a week for nearly a year!
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:55 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
650 Posts
I agree with the concept of CAREFULLY. B ut!!!!!!!!! Yep. the old But!
Lets think about the pilot who is still LEARNING. Like most of us. Still today.
We do an OPPPSSS.!, Wing folds. Much toooooooo late.
I still suggest the Carbon Ribbon for a very quick fix to any future OPPPSSS!. Darn, that was a close call.
SARG5
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Oct 2012
20 Posts
I have to disagree about the fuselage reinforcements though. The hawksky never had it and while I was learning I was crashing constantly. The nose crumpled and once or twice needed hot glue but the tail never broke (apart from one time when I tried to catch it) I cannot say enough for this plane. I really hope the Bixler is as good, It is a shame about the servos though.
As for the wing spar, I'm not sure why it is weak, maybe it is of poorer quality or thinner, but the hawksky also had a 6mm spar and it is not a weak point. I will be making a few mods when my Bixler arrives. I was also wondering about using the stock horns but dunking them in 15 minute epoxy to give them strength and then re-drilling the holes. any thoughts?
GLOW POWER is offline Find More Posts by GLOW POWER
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:07 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
On my fist EZ* I used Glue Dots every 2 inches or so and then taped the seams with clear packing tape. Easy to open up and make changes.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/search/?k...h=AND&F_Sort=2

Lasted 4 years without a problem....until that gator ate it and I had to get a new one. Heard they taste like chicken.
Whow thats a great find.
LOL, you have chosen gator state LOL.
Up north we dont have those LOL
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:08 PM
Russian Federation, St Petersburg
Joined Jul 2012
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Well today I learned a valuable lesson. Don't fly in high winds.
On the slope of flying in any wind
Autumnal slope soaring (3 min 29 sec)
yakav is offline Find More Posts by yakav
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:09 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7 View Post
well.. i just got a little more confused.. i pulled apart the front of the SS that was given to me and there are no weights..

Anyone seen this? or maybe mine is a different version?
U dont need the stinking weights, just move the battery :-))
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Can anyone tell me how long the wing support rod is on the Bixler 2?

Also, how long from the Aileron Servos to the cockpit? I need to decide how long servo extensions to put in the wing so that I can swap servo without having to open the whole wing.

Thanks

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:56 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
Can anyone tell me how long the wing support rod is on the Bixler 2?

Also, how long from the Aileron Servos to the cockpit? I need to decide how long servo extensions to put in the wing so that I can swap servo without having to open the whole wing.

Thanks

Shimmy
Your better off asking in the BIXLER2 thread.
At least in that thread everyone has one!!

LURCH
taz101 is offline Find More Posts by taz101