HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:34 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Hurray, Maiden went very well with new MicroDan motor, LOTS of power on 7x4 prop.
cruise on 1/4 throttle, needed 4 clicks on elevator otherwise it was nice smooth sailing.
next comes Gopro, hope the NJ weather cooperates.
I have to find the source of vibes, my prop is perfectly balanced but Im afraid MicroDan is not :-(.
On 1/4 throttle you cant hear this thing 50' up :-))
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:26 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Hurray, Maiden went very well with new MicroDan motor, LOTS of power on 7x4 prop.
cruise on 1/4 throttle, needed 4 clicks on elevator otherwise it was nice smooth sailing.
next comes Gopro, hope the NJ weather cooperates.
I have to find the source of vibes, my prop is perfectly balanced but Im afraid MicroDan is not :-(.
On 1/4 throttle you cant hear this thing 50' up :-))
Congratulations on your maiden. Don't you wish they all went that well.
That might be the prop hitting its "sweet" spot for vibration/cavitation/etc. If you haven't already, try another prop (obvious, I know that you already know that). I wish you would use the other recommended prop - 6x4E (APC,TGS, or ???). Here are my measurements:
6x4 26.0a 305w
7x4 39.5s 421w.
My thought is that 39.5A is just a tiny bit below the maximum and I can't help but think that the motor might get beyond warm or maybe hot. Of course, you already know what heat does to magnets. It is just that I love this motor so much that I don't want anyone to risk damaging it in any way. I do not own a full blown FPV plane. So, maybe the 305w might be enough to satisfactorily fly the SkyS. If an FPV plane requires that many watts, then so be it. This is only a suggestion. Your thoughts??
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Oct 04, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:36 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Some good news (for those that don't already know)

The programming card from HK works great on my SSS. If you have one try it. If you don't have one, add it to your next order.
My settings are shown.
AJ
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:31 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Congratulations on your maiden. Don't you wish they all went that well.
That might be the prop hitting its "sweet" spot for vibration/cavitation/etc. If you haven't already, try another prop (obvious, I know that you already know that). I wish you would use the other recommended prop - 6x4E (APC,TGS, or ???). Here are my measurements:
6x4 26.0a 305w
7x4 39.5s 421w.
My thought is that 39.5A is just a tiny bit below the maximum and I can't help but think that the motor might get beyond warm or maybe hot. Of course, you already know what heat does to magnets. It is just that I love this motor so much that I don't want anyone to risk damaging it in any way. I do not own a full blown FPV plane. So, maybe the 305w might be enough to satisfactorily fly the SkyS. If an FPV plane requires that many watts, then so be it. This is only a suggestion. Your thoughts??
AJ
Thx AJ,
this is next APC 6x4 :-)after all it was pushing FPV EZ* just fine.
With the 7x4 you maybe up to something :-) the vibes are killing me.
The funny part was that once done the motor was cold and 40Amp ESC was kind of warm. The 7x4 maybe pushing limits here.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:47 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio9999 View Post
Original image was GIF. I saved it as JPG as I remember and sent here. Probably I made a mistake somewhere in the middle.

I didn't understand how you calculate 80's. Never mind. Have you been in West Kazakhstan? Just to know.
No, I've never been there. The 80's comment was a joke, no calculations or offense intended. Actually I didn't even know where it was until I did a Google search.

Welcome.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:05 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
guys, those of you who are running apc 6x4 props did you have to cut a groove in the fuselage under the prop?

i've had too, i hope this is normal?!
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:57 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post
guys, those of you who are running apc 6x4 props did you have to cut a groove in the fuselage under the prop?

I did not have to cut a groove in the fuselage. I am pretty sure that just about everyone did not have a problem. My 6x4E TGS prop clears the fuselage by 1/8". Are you having a problem using a 6" prop?
AJ
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:49 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcow007 View Post

nope, its not normal since you can get adjustable mount or just move the motor up.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Jan 2011
48 Posts
Mi Bixler mods

Hey guys im joining to this thread about the mods that have been made to the bixler, there are maaaaany pages that i havent read (1000+ pages), but well i just got the standar bixler kit from HK, and im gonna use the DX9 2.4 turnigy Tx, with the Rx that comes in the box.

After reading i saw that one of the most popular was the rudder, so here is the pic:

After finishing that i started to work on a solution to make the horizontal stabilizer easily removable, pics in a few!
Andreasdiaz is offline Find More Posts by Andreasdiaz
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
48 Posts
Mi Bixler mods

Ok, this is the solution that i came uo with, to make to horizontal stabilizer easy removable!

The first pic is a washer that set on the tail boom, i did this couse i use a screw that goes through there.

In the second picture you can see that i use a blindnut so the screw that i mentioned can hold the Horizontal stabilizer in place
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
48 Posts
Mi Bixler mods

Ok, this is the solution that i came uo with, to make to horizontal stabilizer easy removable!

The first pic is a washer that set on the tail boom, i did this couse i use a screw that goes through there.

In the second picture you can see that i use a blindnut so the screw that i mentioned can hold the Horizontal stabilizer in place
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:44 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreasdiaz View Post

Well done. I will do the same thing with my BMI Arrow.
AJ
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:44 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreasdiaz View Post

After reading i saw that one of the most popular was the rudder, so here is the pic:

!
Wow. I guess I over did mine a bit.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Jan 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Gene it looks like a double vertical stabilizer in tandem configuration.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:03 PM
Joined Jan 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
I recommend you to undo it, because it will be a nightmare in flight, plus it can break the boom in the worst case scenario