SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:14 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Oops. I got that confused with another motor. Short answer - Yes.
AJ
"you get another motor" yes sir I will. The stock motor is 2620 / 1300 KV. Is there a motor better that will fit the stock mount and make this plane fly faster, climb better? I've never flown it but It's said to be something of a 'dog' compared to the Bix V1. This is the larger V2.

'Motors and RC electronics' My education in this area has been slow for me but I'll get there. Even if I understand it that's no substitute for your and the members experience.

I don't want it to be slow or sloppy when I fly it.

Thank you and I hope this doesn't find you answering a question you've answered a bunch of times before.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Sep 23, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:47 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Well, that should give you more than enough time to modify your plane as needed.
After further considertion, I think GENE's suggestion of THIS motor is great. With a 4S and an 8x4E prop, that setup will pull your plane around very nicely.
Well done, GENE.
AJ
P.S. Even with a 3S, it should be enough power to keep you out of any kind of trouble.
Now im confused :-))
Gene's motor is way too big for this little plane (48oz=3lbs) cant go bigger than 8' prop or will have to do weird angles on the motor mount.
Have Micro Dan on the way so final word is:

all on 3S 2200

BC- 2826/6 2200kv on 7x4E or APC8x4
BC -2826/10 1400kv on 7x4E
MicroDAN 2505 "Custom" 2535Kv APC 7x4, 16300rpm, 10.2V, 36A, 36oz thrust.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:52 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
"you get another motor" yes sir I will. The stock motor is 2620 / 1300 KV. Is there a motor better that will fit the stock mount and make this plane fly faster, climb better? I've never flown it but It's said to be something of a 'dog' compared to the Bix V1. This is the larger V2.

'Motors and RC electronics' My education in this area has been slow for me but I'll get there. Even if I understand it that's no substitute for your and the members experience.

I don't want it to be slow or sloppy when I fly it.

Thank you and I hope this doesn't find you answering a question you've answered a bunch of times before.

DJ
I am kind of hoping that someone will jump in here with a suggestion. Since I don't own one, I am reticent to make any suggestions on how to spend your money where a motor is concerned. The posts earlier were easier to answer because they addressed specific motors that were usually underpowered for the V2. With no experience on that specific plane, I am not comfortable making any suggestions that might be wrong. So, having said that, if anyone out there has used other motors of has any suggestions about the stock setup, I would appreciate it if you could help out with this request. TIA.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:55 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
So I maidened my Sky Surfer this weekend. Managed to smash it into pieces yesterday, taped and glued it back together and took it out for another spin today. Today's flight was a lot better...a lot fewer crashes.

However, my plane tends to bank to the right by itself. I checked and all the control surfaces are even when the power is on and everything is trimmed neutral. Once in the air though, i had to trim the ailerons heavily to one side to compensate for the natural banking. Any ideas what's going on? I'm still reading through this massive thread, so apologies if this is a commonly addressed problem.
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:00 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
I am kind of hoping that someone will jump in here with a suggestion. Since I don't own one, I am reticent to make any suggestions on how to spend your money where a motor is concerned. The posts earlier were easier to answer because they addressed specific motors that were usually underpowered for the V2. With no experience on that specific plane, I am not comfortable making any suggestions that might be wrong. So, having said that, if anyone out there has used other motors of has any suggestions about the stock setup, I would appreciate it if you could help out with this request. TIA.
AJ
Again you show you are a 'Man of Honor' anybody can guess as if they know and that cost me and others money but worse disappointment.

Thank you sir,
DJ
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:24 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Just run BC -2826/10 1400kv on 7x4E and the plane almost took off from the bench :-)
the prop sucks (RC 7x4E) balanced the best I could but still have vibes. will try motor without the prop.
I can imagine that with microdan it will be a rocket even at 48oz.
any recommendation for the prop as RC 7x4 just looks heavy :-) or its just me LOL.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:37 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
Joined Mar 2012
1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Just run BC -2826/10 1400kv on 7x4E and the plane almost took off from the bench :-)
the prop sucks (RC 7x4E) balanced the best I could but still have vibes. will try motor without the prop.
I can imagine that with microdan it will be a rocket even at 48oz.
any recommendation for the prop as RC 7x4 just looks heavy :-) or its just me LOL.
Got that motor coming. Will be here just as soon as China becomes a Democratic Republic

The stock prop is a 7 X 5e and the upgrade I got is a 7 X 6e, which one should I use and what should I expect in performance. But you said a 7 X 4e, so I'll get one of those coming if thats what you think will be the one.

Thank you,
DJ
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
Check to see if one of the adapter rings fits snugly on your motor. If none do then pick one that is smaller, glue it into the prop hub and ream it to fit tightly.
BGR, thanks.

I don't understand something. I have attached a photo that shows my understanding of the assembly.

The insert side of the prop has a deeper well. The non-insert side has a shallow well that is the size of the ring.

I can ream the ring after I glue it, but I still have to ream some prop as well, or I can not insert the prop shaft.

Do I have something backwards ?

Thanks
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:51 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Got that motor coming. Will be here just as soon as China becomes a Democratic Republic

The stock prop is a 7 X 5e and the upgrade I got is a 7 X 6e, which one should I use and what should I expect in performance. But you said a 7 X 4e, so I'll get one of those coming if thats what you think will be the one.

Thank you,
DJ
7x4 is what the specs says, but I will try APC 7x4 instead the RC Timer.
As you see Im not expert but I think anything larger than 7x4 on that motor may cook it sooner.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:56 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Now im confused :-))
Gene's motor is way too big for this little plane (48oz=3lbs) cant go bigger than 8' prop or will have to do weird angles on the motor mount.
Have Micro Dan on the way so final word is:

all on 3S 2200

BC- 2826/6 2200kv on 7x4E or APC8x4
BC -2826/10 1400kv on 7x4E
MicroDAN 2505 "Custom" 2535Kv APC 7x4, 16300rpm, 10.2V, 36A, 36oz thrust.
Just to be a bit more clear, For me, I would use a MicroDan motor. I am just pointing out that I like GENE's suggestion also. Now that I have 3lb (not 4lb) logic engaged, a MD motor makes more sense to me now.
AJ
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:57 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
BGR, thanks.

I don't understand something. I have attached a photo that shows my understanding of the assembly.

The insert side of the prop has a deeper well. The non-insert side has a shallow well that is the size of the ring.

I can ream the ring after I glue it, but I still have to ream some prop as well, or I can not insert the prop shaft.

Thanks
I ran into this problem yesterday. I wanted to remove the prop adapter and use my own, but couldn't get the stock one off.

Instead I just used a pair of sharp scissors and slowly grated the inside of the hole, making sure I was grating from both sides to keep things even. I went very slowly and checked to see if the prop fit every few turns of the scissors.

Eventually it fit just barely. At that point I screwed the top of the adapter back on and tightened it until it was snug.

Best method? Probably not. But it worked
polyfractal is offline Find More Posts by polyfractal
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:59 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
BGR, thanks.

Thanks
Nope. You got it on correctly. You will have to ream the front hole a bit, though. It needs to be exactly 7mm.
AJ
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
AJ Thanks for the clarification.
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:57 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfractal View Post
I ran into this problem yesterday. I wanted to remove the prop adapter and use my own, but couldn't get the stock one off.

Instead I just used a pair of sharp scissors and slowly grated the inside of the hole, making sure I was grating from both sides to keep things even. I went very slowly and checked to see if the prop fit every few turns of the scissors.

Eventually it fit just barely. At that point I screwed the top of the adapter back on and tightened it until it was snug.

Best method? Probably not. But it worked
I did the same thing before I got a tapered reamer. Just balance it when you're done.

On APC ,it never seems to have the proper size adapter you need.. It only fits in one way and the prop has to be mounted only one way. I ream from the motor side out and then balance.....then I have a beer.

nakelp86, I try to fly everything with at least a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio. I find it eliminates a lot of problems with overweight planes.

Ernie,
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:43 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,794 Posts
Thx Gene and AJ,
will try RC timer tomorrow on the grass, if it moves Im good till MicoDan comes.:-))
The big Turnigy will be last resort.
Will let you guys know, for real maiden I have to wait till weekend so in the mean time I may switch to MD.
But this RC Timer motor looks, feels and sounds promising too.