Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:40 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Motor stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
well will have try it out already ordered if I have to I ditch gopro the biggest prop I can fit in there is 8" so Im very limited.
if I have to I may try the motor you suggested just have to steal it from the Zephyr :-((. My EZ flew on in runner with 6x4 prop similar weight minus Gopro. So I may be good here.
Im getting desperate here since I have nothing to fly with (FPV ) and LOS got very old quickly :-))
I still have one Turnigy B2835-2200 which was good for my SS #1 but this one is heavy :-(
I have 3 of those motors and it will not deliver enough power to fly your plane adequately (on a stock SkyS, it is great). Oh, on the MicroDan motor, DO NOT use a prop bigger than a 6x4E. It will run too hot and deliver 449w (with a 7x4e) which is way too much power. As for vibration, it is not an issue with that motor because it comes perfectly balanced. The quality of it is so good that IMO, their is room for 6 other motors between it an 2nd place. It is in a class by itself. I don't know of any other motor that can compare it. Of course, it is pricey. But, we get what we pay for in this motor.
AJ
P.S. I took a look at that 2830-11. I think they are vastly overstating the thrust of that motor. But, I don't own one. So, maybe it is factual. Still, I am skeptical. Anyhow, it sounds like you tried it and it did not work out.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:59 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
P.S. I took a look at that 2830-11. I think they are vastly overstating the thrust of that motor. But, I don't own one. So, maybe it is factual. Still, I am skeptical. Anyhow, it sounds like you tried it and it did not work out.
Yep, and vastly overstated is understatement, this thing wont move the plane an inch on the grass whereas Clouds Fly and EZ have no problems with take off. So honestly, the specs should be cut in half the value of what they advertise. I dont need to have 1:1 ratio in power so I figured half would be good enough, and its not.
Thx AJ.
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nakelp86; Sep 23, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:00 AM
Liverpool, UK
Joined Jul 2006
177 Posts
Woke up yesterday morning

absolutely perfect conditions - slight frost on the ground, sun high in the sky an flat calm with no wind

flew for about 20mins on my 3s 2200. Rushed home to recharge my cells. By the time i got back to the field the wind had picked up but nothing too bad

i was only doing circuits of the field when a strong gust blew my bixler into a tree

so i rush home grab a set of ladders an climb up. i retrieve my plane after an hour or so of scrabbling around i manage to retrieve my strikend bird

damage is "chunk" missing from right hand main wing near the tip

broken prop

all the foam around the motor is chewed - im guessing a branch had pushed on the prop so it was pushing against the motor shroad?

an various knocks an dings all over the fuselage an wings

im guessing the missing portion of the wing is non repairable an i dont think you can get a replacement wing so...... it looks like i need to go shopping

pics to follow
mudcow007 is offline Find More Posts by mudcow007
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:32 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
I have 3 of those motors and it will not deliver enough power to fly your plane adequately (on a stock SkyS, it is great).
Sadly, HobbyKing no longer sells that 2835-3900KV I've been putting in my SS and Easystar. With that 3-blade 6x4 Master Airscrew prop, they can climb vertically, though they aren't carrying FPV equipment. And when you back off the throttle, they giv e you (or at least me) nice long cruises. But I have a hunch they will give you the power you need. A few other places sell something similar - check Ebay.

Quote:
Oh, on the MicroDan motor, DO NOT use a prop bigger than a 6x4E. It will run too hot and deliver 449w (with a 7x4e) which is way too much power.
Something wrong with the left stick on your transmitter? It solves the "too much power" problem nicely... and still lets you do those vertical climbs if/when needed.

BTW, "too much power" for what?

Dan's spec for his motor (at least the 2505-2535 that I got from him) says it will handle a 7x4 or 7x5 fine. It DOES give a lot of thrust, of course... for use only when needed. But God bless that left stick
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Sep 24, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Jun 2012
139 Posts
APC 6 x4 Prop - Reaming

I know that this has been addressed fully in this forum. I read it and re-read it but still I do not understand.

I finally received my APC 6x4 prop for my SS1. I know that it does not fit and needs to be reamed. Before I screw it up doing the wrong thing can someone explain it to me. Perhaps offline on a PM. I am more than willing to call at a convenient time if that is better.

I have the APC prop and 6 adapter rings. Which one do I glue in and what side do I ream.

Apologies and thanks

Shimmy
Shimmy is offline Find More Posts by Shimmy
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:42 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
Agree, there is never enough power and I dont plan on flying WOT all the time , mostly would be bit faster cruise, so I think 7x4 will do the trick, in the mean time I want to try two of RC timer motors and if the work one of them will go on EZ II :-)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I use Dans 2505-2535 motor with a 7x5 prop on my 2.5lb FPV SS and I have no issues and flies great!!!
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Nakel,
I have used Himax 2000kv and 3000kv inrunners in some of my previous SS and they work wonderfully. The 3000kv is currently in a SS with clipped wings and a 6x4 prop. It's the same plane I crashed in the river with a few weeks back and rebuilt. Still flies great as a stunt plane now.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:28 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
Thx,just remember my plane is rather on a heavy side 48oz. with cased Gopro but the infos are encouraging, so finally I may hit the sky soon again :-))
if all this works, I promised myself never have just one FPV plane set up, I just missed two months of great weather and now we are getting into North Easters so Im screwed again :-))
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:50 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
APC 6 x4 Prop - Reaming

I know that this has been addressed fully in this forum. I read it and re-read it but still I do not understand.

I finally received my APC 6x4 prop for my SS1. I know that it does not fit and needs to be reamed. Before I screw it up doing the wrong thing can someone explain it to me. Perhaps offline on a PM. I am more than willing to call at a convenient time if that is better.

I have the APC prop and 6 adapter rings. Which one do I glue in and what side do I ream.

Apologies and thanks

Shimmy
Check to see if one of the adapter rings fits snugly on your motor. If none do then pick one that is smaller, glue it into the prop hub and ream it to fit tightly.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:14 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Yep, and vastly overstated is understatement, this thing wont move the plane an inch on the grass whereas Clouds Fly and EZ have no problems with take off. So honestly, the specs should be cut in half the value of what they advertise. I dont need to have 1:1 ratio in power so I figured half would be good enough, and its not.
Thx AJ.
I have extensive experience with all three of those motors (and the 2835-2700 + 2835-3900). First, the 2826-10 would probably be the best choice IF you can get a prop on it that is long enough (9-10") without hitting the fuselage. It looks like you have an adapter. So, it is worth a try. But, even then, I am not optimistic.
Oops. I just reread your earlier post. You said that you could only get an 8" prop on it (max). So, forget about the -10.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Sep 23, 2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Add Oops
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:19 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,154 Posts
Quote:
I have extensive experience with all three of those motors (and the 2835-2700 + 2835-3900). First, the 2826-10 would probably be the best choice IF you can get a prop on it that is long enough (9-10") without hitting the fuselage. It looks like you have an adapter. So, it is worth a try. But, even then, I am not optimistic.
AJ
I have a 2826 / 10 but only have a 7 X 5e prop for a Bixler 2. What will that do?

DJ
Sculptor is online now Find More Posts by Sculptor
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
I have a 2826 / 10 but only have a 7 X 5e prop for a Bixler 2. What will that do?

DJ
Oops. I got that confused with another motor. Short answer - Yes. But, you won't like it. Approx. 14 oz thrust on a perfectly wound motor.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Sep 23, 2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: mixed up motors
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:48 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Thx,just remember my plane is rather on a heavy side 48oz. with cased Gopro but the infos are encouraging, so finally I may hit the sky soon again :-))
if all this works, I promised myself never have just one FPV plane set up, I just missed two months of great weather and now we are getting into North Easters so Im screwed again :-))
A lot of folks seem to forget that you are trying to muscle around a 3 lb plane. So, with that in mind, lets go back to the basics. A 28mm motor of any kind is going to be difficult to get enough HP out of to fly your plane. The MicroDan motor is the best one possible. I suggest that, though, so you can use your exising mount setup. OR, can you use a 35mm on your setup? If so, life gets much easier.
Oh, FYI. I have a LOT of hours using the MD motors. The reason I suggest that you DO NOT use a prop bigger than a 6x4E is because of the potential heat generation. The motor will stay happy at WOT. I know, it is very easy to say that the left stick (mode 2) is for keeping the potential heat under control. But, I have read of too many folks that just cannot resist "trying" to use all that HP. For me, I prefer to keep the motor out of harms way (me) and prop it at a safe level for the motor. I used a 7x4E prop on my first MD motor and I flew WOT for about a minute. That motor is just barely useable today. It is totally my fault. Today, I don't do that anymore regardless of what the site says. As we have all learned, just because it is a printed word on the specs, does not make it so. BTW, WOT was awesome until I brought the plane down and burned my fingers on the bell. So, when I say don't go over a 6x4E, I have the experience to support the suggestion.
BTW-FWIW. After burning up way too many motors (the cost is immaterial), I finally learned to keep within the limits of the motor (amps and/or watts - when available) and prop accordingly. My motors like me better now.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Sep 23, 2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: fix the oz
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:05 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Well, that should give you more than enough time to modify your plane as needed.
After further considertion, I think GENE's suggestion of THIS motor is great. With a 4S and an 8x4E prop, that setup will pull your plane around very nicely.
Well done, GENE.
AJ
P.S. Even with a 3S, it should be enough power to keep you out of any kind of trouble.