Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:50 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by So_Bad View Post
Hi!
I'm finishing build of the my Bixler (rev. 1). It's my first plane and build.

I go with motor B2835, 2200kv inrunner, and 6x4 or 6x5 prop. A HK 40/45 ESC, will support these setup?

I have another HK 60A, but it's so huge!! Because, I thinking fix ESC central fuselage, foward motor.

Thanks for any help.
In my Sky Surfer V3 I use this ESC (30 amp) with a 6" prop and its worked just fine for many flights. That's with the stock brushless motor which if memory serves is a 1900kv. Your 40 will be ok. Be sure the BEC portion is sufficient to power the system. I run an external bec just to be sure.
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:01 PM
AKA, Cheap Chiseler
United States, FL, North Fort Myers
Joined Mar 2012
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilonc View Post
I'm sad!! When I finish my plane, I used epoxy to glue the stock motor mount, but It was crooked ...

Help me please, I have to remove the epoxy? how?

Any ideia?
Dude, take the motor off and shim the motor out to the right angle with washers.
If you don't know what the angle is tell me ,I'll photo mine top and side. Print it out and draw center lines on both and measure the angles.

DJ
Sculptor is offline Find More Posts by Sculptor
Last edited by Sculptor; Sep 21, 2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:48 PM
Brazil, São Paulo, Microregion of Caraguatatuba
Joined Jun 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjr View Post
In my Sky Surfer V3 I use this ESC (30 amp) with a 6" prop and its worked just fine for many flights. That's with the stock brushless motor which if memory serves is a 1900kv. Your 40 will be ok. Be sure the BEC portion is sufficient to power the system. I run an external bec just to be sure.
Hi!

So, that's mine:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5_40A_ESC.html

Thanks!
ECODRONES is offline Find More Posts by ECODRONES
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:50 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Hi guys, need some help.
I got this motor Firepower 400 Sport (2830-11) from HeadsupRC and APC 8x4 prop and I am very disappointed as the motor is way, way to weak for my 48oz Sky Surfer and totally unbalanced :-(
any suggestion for out runner to run similar prop?
For your planes weight, I'd try this one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=14342

Be advised it is a 35mm motor. I have a older version of it and it can do thrust and speed with a 8inch prop.
2500GENE is online now Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:33 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post

Be advised it is a 35mm motor. I have a older version of it and it can do thrust and speed with a 8inch prop.
Ive just put a turnigy 3536 in mine with a 8" 3 blade prop and I love it!!!!!!!
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:34 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
Quote:

Thx, Gene but this is one big a$$ motor LOL.
any other option?
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Disco gimbal
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:35 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2504 View Post
Ive just put a turnigy 3536 in mine with a 8" 3 blade prop and I love it!!!!!!!
how heavy is your plane?
Got link to the prop?

Gene, do you know any other motor which would do the trick? if it could push 40oz that would probably do it. I could go to smaller prop but 8 is about max since I dont want to raise the mount too much.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nakelp86; Sep 21, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:29 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Optimal Motor option

Quote:
how heavy is your plane?
Got link to the prop?

Gene, do you know any other motor which would do the trick? if it could push 40oz that would probably do it. I could go to smaller prop but 8 is about max since I dont want to raise the mount too much.
You might want to try THIS motor. It delivers outrageous horsepower for a 28mm motor. I have 3 of them now. It pretty much made many other of my chinese motors obselete. I used it on a 42 oz. Fun Cub and it handles it nicely with power to spare. It will be more that enough for your 48 oz. SkyS.
AJ
P.S. As anything else, Horsepower and quality cost. For me, it is worth every penny and more.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:19 AM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
Thx AJ, I think this is it, it will push 40oz so I think extra 8 or 10oz wont make much difference, not looking for a rocket. The one from headsuprc is really bad quality, not able to balance it at all so its useless for anything else.
Thx again.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nakelp86; Sep 22, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:33 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
and my new SS coming to life as soon as I get the motor.
More pixs in my blog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Disco gimbal
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:18 PM
United Kingdom, England, Ripon
Joined Dec 2011
309 Posts
Quote:
how heavy is your plane?
Got link to the prop?
Flying weight is 1050g and the prop is http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...eller_8x6.html
Simon2504 is offline Find More Posts by Simon2504
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:48 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,967 Posts
Quote:
Thx AJ, I think this is it, it will push 40oz so I think extra 8 or 10oz wont make much difference, not looking for a rocket. The one from headsuprc is really bad quality, not able to balance it at all so its useless for anything else.
Thx again.
You are flying a FPV 48oz plane. You don't want a high kv motor making all kinds of noise and rfi. A slower motor is the way to go. That is a nice motor and at 2500+kv will be a screamer with a 7 inch prop max. But you want thrust and efficiency. Look at what the SkyWalker crew is using for their FPV., they are all lower kv with the largest prop they can use.
Higher kv doesn't mean more thrust or power, only the potential for more speed when you crank it up But your FPV so you don't want to crank it up.
Think about your purchase.

Ernie.
2500GENE is online now Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:05 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Yes, that was the idea.

Moreover, it proves you can get extended flight time with a 2835-3900KV motor and a normal battery.

A lot of people here have been complaining about that 3900KV motor having "too much power", and predicting very high battery drains and resulting short flights.

But today showed that if you throttle back and cruise, this motor really uses no more current than a less-powerful brushless motor, since the less-powerful motor has to be set at a higher throttle setting to achieve the same (fairly mellow) performance.

Only real difference between this 3900KV motor and, say, a 2000KV motor, is when you go to full power. The 3900KV motor then climbs vertically, which the 2000KV motor (with the same weight plane) can't. Of course, the 3900KV motor also uses a lot more current during the full-power vertical climb, than the 2000KV motor at its full-throttle setting.

If you spend your whole flight at full throttle, then of course the 3900KV motor will drain the battery VERY fast, a lot faster than the 2000KV motor. If you are a nothing-but-full-power flyer, then yes, the 3900KV is the wrong motor to put in a SkySurfer. But who spends the whole flight at full power, other than a pylon racer?

With the 3900KV motor and that 3-blade 6x4 prop, you have the choice between doing moderate climbs and stunts for a pretty long flight, and doing the occasional vertical climb and other crazy (and fun) flying. With the 2000KV motor, you don't have all those choices. You can do the same moderate climbs and stunts, but your throttle will be set higher, and you battery won't really last any longer. And full throttle WON'T get you a vertical climb, so you don't have that choice at all.

There's no such thing as "too much power" in a model plane - only too much weight (and the 3900KV doesn't weigh any more than the 2000KV), and too much current consumption. But that's what the left stick is for - throttle that baby back, and your flight times will be just as long as the other motor, and your performance will be just as good.

Except for that occasional vertical climb, which the 3900KV can do and the 2000KV can't (for the same weight plane).

Well, I finally got around to putting my favorite connectors on my Turnigy WattMeter. Same connectors I use on all my planes and R/C cars.

Then connected it to my Sky Surfer, putting it between the battery and ESC. 3s 2200mAh battery, and that 2835-3900KV motor with the three-blade Master Airscrew 6x4 prop. Put the plane on the garage floor with the nose pressed against my knee so it wouldn't go anywhere, revved it up to the hellish-scream point, the sound it makes when doing vertical climbs.

Battery voltage dropped to 11.0V, and the Amps read 63.0 Amps.

Now I know why it climbs vertically!

I also now know that it wouldn't be a good idea to do that for long periods of time. The result will be smoke, from the motor and/or ESC. But for short climbs, ooh la la. I've never seen the motor or ESC get anything more than warm, but I've never done the hellish-scream thing for more than 10 seconds at a time, either.

Nope, I won't change a thing. This plane is set up just the way I like it.

Now, I wonder if Turnigy makes a 3650-3900KV motor? And how much 100A ESCs weigh, and what it takes to fit one into one of those 2.4-meter Super Sky Surfers that Banana Hobby is now selling.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706026
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:56 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,701 Posts
Quote:
You are flying a FPV 48oz plane. You don't want a high kv motor making all kinds of noise and rfi. A slower motor is the way to go. That is a nice motor and at 2500+kv will be a screamer with a 7 inch prop max. But you want thrust and efficiency. Look at what the SkyWalker crew is using for their FPV., they are all lower kv with the largest prop they can use.
Higher kv doesn't mean more thrust or power, only the potential for more speed when you crank it up But your FPV so you don't want to crank it up.
Think about your purchase.

Ernie.
well will have try it out already ordered if I have to I ditch gopro the biggest prop I can fit in there is 8" so Im very limited.
if I have to I may try the motor you suggested just have to steal it from the Zephyr :-((. My EZ flew on in runner with 6x4 prop similar weight minus Gopro. So I may be good here.
Im getting desperate here since I have nothing to fly with (FPV ) and LOS got very old quickly :-))
I still have one Turnigy B2835-2200 which was good for my SS #1 but this one is heavy :-(
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by nakelp86; Sep 22, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:33 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,420 Posts
Motor stuff

Quote:
well will have try it out already ordered if I have to I ditch gopro the biggest prop I can fit in there is 8" so Im very limited.
if I have to I may try the motor you suggested just have to steal it from the Zephyr :-((. My EZ flew on in runner with 6x4 prop similar weight minus Gopro. So I may be good here.
Im getting desperate here since I have nothing to fly with (FPV ) and LOS got very old quickly :-))
I still have one Turnigy B2835-2200 which was good for my SS #1 but this one is heavy :-(
I have 3 of those motors and it will not deliver enough power to fly your plane adequately (on a stock SkyS, it is great). Oh, on the MicroDan motor, DO NOT use a prop bigger than a 6x4E. It will run too hot and deliver 449w (with a 7x4e) which is way too much power. As for vibration, it is not an issue with that motor because it comes perfectly balanced. The quality of it is so good that IMO, their is room for 6 other motors between it an 2nd place. It is in a class by itself. I don't know of any other motor that can compare it. Of course, it is pricey. But, we get what we pay for in this motor.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker